1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender CuNiFe Wide Range Neck Pickup, Chrome

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jackson753, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Screenshot_20201024-223354.png I have seen these Pickups advertised:

Fender CuNiFe Wide Range Neck Pickup, Chrome

New at Thomann and other outlets but how can they be CuNiFe? I was under the impression that these magnets are no longer available.

Is this a false claim?

https://m.thomann.de/gb/fender_cunife_wide_range_humb._bridge.htm

Are these the same pick ups that are in the Vintera series?

2. WhiskyMan

WhiskyMan TDPRI Member

Fender recently brought these back.

3. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

A bit of copper, a spot of nickel, a speck of iron, and, if you are feeling plucky, a dash of cobalt and you have CuNiFe. It just takes some deep pockets to convince a supplier that it's worth their while. Lucky for some, Fender made it happen. Again.

viking, boredguy6060 and secretsoundz like this.
  4. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

It's not totally nonexistent, just no longer routinely manufactured in quantity.
    There have always been limited supplies - or it's always been possible to make more - just not economical.
    Unlike when Leo first made these guitars, it's not a widely-available off the shelf material anymore.

The thing that makes wide range humbuckers sound different is only partially the materials. It's also a different design with threaded magnetized pole pieces instead of a bar magnet at the bottom. Several manufacturers - Seymour Duncan, Lindy Fralin, Curtis Novak, Jared Brandon, Mojotone - have been making pickups with the correct wide range construction and windings but a different material for the pole pieces (Alnico usually). There is another company that's been making CuNiFe reproductions but I've forgotten their name for the moment - and they're as expensive as you'd expect for a difficult-to-obtain material.

I don't know whether Fender just got hold of enough of a supply to make a limited run of these (or maybe had some left over from the 70s?) - or maybe they found a new supplier.
    But they aren't cheap.

johmica likes this.
  5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Some people are saying that the Mars Rover found a small deposit on Mars..
    It’s possible that Elon Musk and Fender have teamed up to retrieve the find, but at this point everyone is very tight lipped.
    I can see several problematic aspects to the story, but I don’t want to be negative

Asmith, SuprHtr, drmordo and 3 others like this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

From what I've read on these it's that Fender found a new supplier who was willing to make the CuNiFe for them again at a reasonable enough price to make it doable.

alathIN and boredguy6060 like this.
  7. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Agree they are not cheap.
    I wonder how they compare to the Wide Range Tim Shaw pups in the Vintera series?

I managed to find a video comparison to the originals and the Creamery set.

IMadeYouReadThis and Matthias like this.
  8. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

U are not up with the news mate, Fender brought them back earlier this year, they are real Cunife and much better than the s*it they put in the Vinteras. Think about it.

The only real Cunife WRHBs you could get before Fender brought them back were from Telenator.

9. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

I am indeed behind the times. Thanks for the update. I saw them advertised and remembered they were a rare breed. Do Fender have a Deluxe that has these pick ups? I'll do a few more searches I did find the American Original 70s but that is a Custom. Wondered if there was a Deluxe with CuNiFe?

10. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

@Jackson753, not yet, just a Custom and a Custom Shop Thinline.

11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

There have been rumors and hints - or at least wishful thinking on the part of reporters and reviewers - of a possible American Original Tele Deluxe but nothing has been announced. With the January 2021 NAMM show already cancelled who knows how Fender is going to handle product announcements that they normally would have done for the show.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

We will need, and it would be helpful if Fender supplied the data and how to visually compare original 70s, vs the Fender generic humbuckers, vs the recent CuNiFe WRHB ... Because we all know in a year there will be used guitars and pickup pulls that people will ask "is this a real 70s? or one of the new good ones? or the Fender-made fakes or even third-party fakes?"

13. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Yes you're right about the fakes etc...

Perhaps Fender are building up to a Deluxe with CuNiFe but after they have exhausted all other routes?

I am considering a Vintera Mocha Deluxe and swapping out the pickups but this might not be far of what I'd be paying for a legitimate release and a US model like the original 70s series.

Then I considered swapping in a loaded pickguard are on my Fender Black Dove? I have a feeling as soon as I spend the money Fender will quietly release a Deluxe with CuNiFe.

It would seem like the obvious guitar that would benefit from the new pick ups. Maybe it's something to pull out of the bag when things start going south?

It's annoying as the Deluxe would foubly benefit.

IMG_20170513_105056536.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.