Fender cs nocaster vs Gibson cs 58 reissue

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by 51telecaster, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Guitarbozo

Guitarbozo TDPRI Member

I owned a R9 and R8 les Paul's, sold em both, don't miss them one bit and I'd choose a tele over any Gibson which I believe are overpriced mediocrity

2. 56strat

56strat Tele-Meister

Get the R8. You can't build one yourself, but you can sure put together a CS quality Telecaster for a reasonable cost. Get the R8 and start saving again for a Tele. :)

3. Guitarbozo

Guitarbozo TDPRI Member

Sticky necks
    Bleeding in the binding
    File marks on the fingerboard
    Nitro that hasn't flashed off fully before being packaged for sale
    General assembly shoddiness

All simply unforgivable on a production product but all too common on a custom shop Gibson. Being custom shop isn't a rock solid guarantee and there are serious Gibson custom shop turds out there. Fender have excellent consistency and the tele or les Paul choice is an easy one.......tele all the way.

4. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

My Gibson historic goldtop CR7 is my best Tele.

5. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Fine .... we're all entitled to our beliefs.

Wow ...... Guitarbozo has spoken. :!:

May I ask where Guitarbozo obtains his information? Does he have an 'in' on some underpriced third world supplier of inferior quality, poorly assembled 'Gibson' lookalikes, or does he really believe that all Gibsons are as bad as he claims???

He has owned two Custom Shop Les Pauls, which he sold. Why would he buy not one, but two expensive guitars, that presumably had "filemarks, bleeding binding, sticky necks etc., etc"? Guitars that he now implies were so 'shoddily' built that he refers to them as 'turds'?

Something is wrong here....:confused:

Sure, almost any guitar when subjected to a forensic examination will yield minor flaws of some kind, regardless of the manufacturer.

I own a number of CS Fenders. Bass guitars, Strats, and teles included, as well as the odd vintage guitar. I love most of them, and I like the rest. The ones I didn't like are now gone. Nothing seriously wrong with them. We just didn't get along.

None of my Fenders are 'perfect', just 'close' to being perfect, and at times, neither are the fancy hard shell cases they arrive in. H.S. cases occasionally do have 'issues', or have missing parts that they forget to pack inside the case. No 'biggies', as everything will eventually get sorted out by those good folks back at Fender HQ.

The same applies to the Gibsons I own; Custom Shop, Memphis Shop or otherwise, and I own a few. Not too many complaints there either. Good folks to deal with as well.

Btw, one of my favourite Gibsons is a battered old '57 LP Junior which I doubt Guitarbozo would even use for kindling - just saying. Too bad as Guitarbozo is missing out on some great guitars, guitars that with an open mind, he may learn to like.

If our intention is to sing the praises of any guitar or manufacturer, then go ahead and lets praise them. Don't just simply lower the boom on the rest of the field.

Sorry folks for the rant, but we are all allowed to air our beliefs too..

6. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

To his defense, the points he made I have found to be true with my R8 as well. My tech even commented "makes you wonder what you have to pay for a FINISHED guitar." Neither him nor I were upset, but I can attest that somewhat sloppy glue and fret finishing work happens. Even at the Custom Shop level. The bleed is another issue entirely. The problem with complaining about that is that the bleed is most likely caused by using historically accurate methods and materials. They could fix the bleed by not using those methods and materials but then there would most certainly be complaints about historical accuracy. Moral of the story, you can't please everyone. AND...guitars are PERSONAL instruments. When you purchased the guitar you bought the right to be able to address any "issues" in whatever manner you'd like, including selling the instrument altogether. My R8 is a fine fine guitar, and I love playing it. It wasn't perfect when I bought it (new) but it suits me perfectly.

7. Guitarbozo

Guitarbozo TDPRI Member

Not saying unfathomable and unacceptable flaws apply to all cs Gibson's Tony but they are certainly well known for their dealers having a fair amount that were an outright disgrace for sale at full asking price. I don't think you will disagree with this. I can honestly say I've never lifted an American or custom shop Fender in a shop and found some of the finish howlers that I've witnessed on plenty of Gibson's. For the inflated asking prices Gibson charge, buyers have every right to expect flawless every time.

Just my 2 cents

8. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Well OP, in the opening post you stated you liked the Tele more. I don't see any difficulty in the decision.

Of course that being said I'm gonna throw out a curve ball. You can always get a used vintage reissue and a used traditional. You'll have enough left over to make any upgrade you want.

If you're really so impressed with the CS Tele you probably should just get that though. If you don't it will probably haunt you forever!

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

9. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Get the Nocaster.

10. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

I loved my 51 CS Nocaster but love the 62 Custom with Josefina’s that I sold it for. I like the neck shape and sound of the pickups better on the 62.

I am 57 years old now and have had a little disposable cash for some nice guitars. I also have a R6 True Historic LP, a R8 Les Paul, and a 59 Historic ES-335. All are great guitars.

All will do rock, country, blues and even jazz very well. Look/listen to some of Joe Walsh's work with the Eagles if you think a Tele won’t rock. And there is always Keef, etc.

I will tell you that I never was never happy with the production level LP’s that I have owned over the years. They are just not in the same league as the Custom Shop Reissues and True Historic's.

What ever you get, get the best you can afford. You will always wonder and want if you don’t

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jabsalt likes this.
  11. 51Blackguard

51Blackguard TDPRI Member

I had the same problem. But I soon realized how to solve it. I bought both. And for good measure I bought a'60 CS NOS Strat !!!!
    BTW there's nothing stopping anyone from playing any type of music on any guitar. I've seen country guys with LP's, SG's, PRS's etc and seen rock and blues guys with Strats, Teles, Jags ,Jazzmstrs,etc......play what you want on what you like.

12. Morgenholz

Morgenholz TDPRI Member

I have smaller hands and really, really wanted to be a LP player for twenty years, but two Nocasters later, I sold my Gibsons excepting the J200 and ES-350T reissue as their 25.5" scale keeps my fretting hand oriented. The Nocaster is lighter, balances far better, and as already suggested is more articulate and possesses a much wider range tonally-- in this last respect, I actually enjoy picking apart muddy hard rock humbucker pieces and progressions and playing them clean tele to tweed-- It keeps my hands honest, if that helps in defending my position. I'm not knocking the LP/PAF format, it's cool, I just find it less entertaining musically.

13. SeaFoamGreener

SeaFoamGreener TDPRI Member

I have an r9 and an r6. (Love the p90s). Both are amazing guitars.. I ordered a CS Tele and am early into my wait for it. I've played a bunch of CS teles and like them a lot. Not sure I'd trade one of my Pauls. But who knows what I'll say a year from now. Either way, your decision should be personal to you. I don't think you can go wrong either way....

14. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

The first thing that comes to mind for me is that custom shop historic Les Pauls usually have very thick neck profiles, even heavier than baseball bat Fender types (R8's IRRC are the fattest then they start to lose the shoulders for R9's and slim taper R0's aren't really that thin either). Funny thing, the Nashville Custom Shop's idea of a "thirty over sixty" profile (meant to be .030" fatter than a '60 slim taper) is fatter than the Memphis Custom neck profile with the same spec.

Also you get a different feel in terms of slinkiness when you shorten the scale length from fender 25-1/2 down to Gibson 24-3/4 (capo a Fender at the first fret and tune down a half step to simulate the difference in tension).

So I'd try to think in terms of two potentially dramatic features that will affect the playability and feel: (1) neck profile, and (2) scale length.

Because in the end I'd love to have both of those guitars and I'm sure there's no wrong choice there if you only can have one. Just remember when somebody asks you which one's you're favorite guitar, just say, "The NEXT one."

15. ItsDoe

ItsDoe NEW MEMBER!

I'm new here and I'm no pro player, but if I may add a few words of advice as far as I see things.
    Many of us (perhaps all of us) at some point have bought guitars because of what our heroes play. To emulate their sound we much use the same guitars right? In reality my best and simplest advice would be, buy what resonates with YOU. Not what you think you should have or someone says you need.
    For me it's about;

1) Feel. Is the scale length, neck width, radius etc comfortable. Does it make you want to play, hour after hour.
    2) Sound. For all their versatility, there is a massive difference between single coils and humbuckers. I own both, but spend 98% of my time on single coils. I actually only keep the humbucker guitars (R7 and es339) because of sentimental reasons which mean I cannot sell them. That doesn't mean their is anything wrong with HBs they just don't inspire me like single coils.

So in short summary unless you are very focussed on a specific type of music that needs a certain type of guitar (like very heavy metal) then buy what inspires you, and keep looking until you find the guitar that does. I've personally even found that great guitars lead me into listening to and trying musical styles I would never have even dreamt of playing before. There is not right or wrong, just what's right for you.

16. cap217

cap217 Tele-Holic

How much did you save? Maybe we can get you a tele and a les paul in your budget. Lots of good deals out there.

17. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

My love affair is the Tele. I have mostly just been a one guitar man. I currently have a 2013 Custom Shop Nocaster. I had a different one before it but didn't bond well with the vintage frets and 7.25 radius. So after having it for about 4 years, sold it and bought a CS Nocaster LTD with 9.5 radius and 6105 frets. This one is perfect.
    I've lusted after an LP for a long time and feel that it would be the perfect scenario to have both. So was in Long&Mcquade here in Canada yesterday and had my hands on a Custom Shop 57 goldtop reissue. It played beautiful but I'm going to go back tonight for a closer look. I may be coming home with it.
    My opinion is get the one first that speaks to you the most whether that be the fender or the Gibson. Then spend sometime with it and see if you can live with just the one. If you feel you can't then save for the other one.
    Me, I could live with just the Nocaster but I just want the LP.

18. aquaboi924

aquaboi924 Tele-Meister

I have both a CS Tele (55 Esquire) and a Gibson r6 (56 reissue, i love P90s!). Sold all my other guitars, including a 59 historic ES335, as these two fill my needs well.

19. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

I have a CS '60 Strat, a CS '51 Nocaster Relic, and a Gibson CS R8. The Strat is lovely and I've played a Strat most of my life, only picking up a Tele for the first time properly in the past few years. I now always go to the Nocaster and it is my best guitar. If I only had to have one, this would be it.

Being a huge fan of British classic rock since a kid, I always wanted a Les Paul like Koss. What I've found is that I've been playing Fenders for so long that it feels alien to me, and although I love to play it - or more correctly, play with it - I like having it and owning it more than using it, because my Nocaster is now my home, and I'm not the player on the Gibson that I am on a Fender, if that makes sense. I'm not on autopilot.

Time is the enemy here and age creeps in and you end up being so entrenched in your ways that it gets harder to change. If I were younger I'd be playing it live most nights and it would just be a tool and it would eventually fit, but I'm not in that place now.

That's not much help, is it. Thing is, you have to spend an hour with both and pick the one that is obviously more you. It's only a Wow! Nocaster Relic, or Wow! Gibson Les Paul R8 when it's in the shop. When you get it home and get used to it, it just becomes a guitar, and really, that's all that matters in the end. It's like seeing a car in a showroom and seeing the same car on a street. So you have to chose honestly and go with what feels naturally right for you. Nothing else matters.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    jabsalt and tce63 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.