1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender closing New Hartford plant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by shovelrider, Apr 22, 2014.

1. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

This has been making the rounds today.

----------

FENDER MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS CORPORATION TO CLOSE NEW HARTFORD, CONN. FACILITY;
    OVATION® TO CEASE U.S. PRODUCTION

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC) is proud of the products that are built in our New Hartford, Conn. manufacturing facility and appreciates the talented group of people that hand craft them. However, due to current market conditions and insufficient volume levels, the company has made the decision to cease production there within June 2014.

This decision represents a consolidation of production capabilities for FMIC U.S.-made acoustic instruments. “We are committed to providing the same high quality musical instruments our artists, consumers and customers expect and demand, and will continue to support the brands that are currently being produced in New Hartford,” said Richard McDonald, senior vice president of Fender.

U.S. production of Fender acoustic and Guild® instruments will transition to other facilities at a later date, while domestic production of U.S.-made Ovation musical instruments will cease.

Forty-six New Hartford-based FMIC employees will be affected by this decision over the next several months. These impacted employees served the company well and will be treated fairly and with respect; they will be provided comprehensive assistance, including severance packages, outplacement services and other related assistance.

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

So no mo ovation?

3. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

At least not from the USA.

4. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

I'm heartbroken.

My first guitar back in 1980 was an Ovation Balladeer. I've been a huge fan of Ovations ever since. I still am. I'll likely go to my grave a huge fan.

I figured the demise of U.S.A. made Ovations was simply a matter of time. Where "Roundbacks" used to be pretty common and easy to find in shops, even the inexpensive Applause models aren't too common in stores anymore, it seems. The get a "bad rap" on the Internet, too, and a lot of it seems to come from people who really have no experience playing one, let alone recording or performing with one. The brand has definitely suffered and the public perception of the instruments as it stands now probably is something that would be very tough to shift.

So the marketplace has spoken. Still breaks my heart, though.

5. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

First Hamer now Ovation.

6. giginthesky

giginthesky Friend of Leo's

i thought that happened a while ago. i haven't seen a usa ovation (new) in years.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah.

And I've lost track what's happened to Composite Acoustics. It would seem people are not drawn to this type of product and you must sell some or people never know what you have to offer. People would rather a wooden guitar made out of some awful throwaway wood, so long as it is wood. Weird.

8. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love Ovations, but I also know that not everyone shares that opinion. Used Ovations generally sell for a much deeper discount than any other decent guitar that I can think of. Maybe my Ovation accumulation will appreciate now.:D

9. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Some brands I can understand when they're shuttered (like Hamer), but I'm actually pretty shocked that Ovation is closing up shop. That's a pretty big deal, and unfortunate. It's weird that such a big brand is going away though.

I have to admit I was totally unaware that any Guild stuff was being made in the US though; all the ones I've seen were Korean.

I wonder if this has anything to do with all the money Fender is owed by a certain big-box retailer?

10. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Sad, sad news.

11. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Oh no, this is terrible. I was fortunate enough to have been invited to visit the New Hartford facility last summer and it was one of the best experiences of my life. The people were wonderful and their dedication was total. The quality of the Guild and Fender Custom Shop acoustic guitars coming out New Hartford is utterly stunning. I have to assume the same of the Ovations; I didn't play any while I was there. Very sad.

12. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

I used to have guys come up and make snooty comments about my Balladeer while I was playing it--mostly Bluegrass guys, what can you expect in WV?

That's OK, I'll just keep playing my Hamer and Ovation. I take my Charvel 625c when I play out--those guys REALLY don't know what to make of that.

13. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

.no more Hamer...?:eek:

I really need to get out more....:rolleyes:

14. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I get my vegetables from a farm not too far from the plant in New Hartford. Sad. :(

15. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

What I've heard was that the New Hartford plant was being run by the remaining Hamer craftsmen, and though they were not happy about making Guild and Fender guitars, they were making really great products. The Guild line of acoustics suffered some in quality when they left the famed Westerly plant for the West coast, but the New Hartford plant seemed to return the line to the same level of quality.

I find it hard to find any remorse about ceasing the US Ovation line, but I really do hope the Guild line stays excellent. They're really great guitars with a great US heritage.

16. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

So is this the end of the Ren Ferguson era at Fender? I'd only heard that he'd jumped from Gibson over to Fender/Guild last week. Although it apparently happened in 2012 or something.

Back under my rock I go.

Cheers,
    Geoff

17. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Fender still deep in debt and not making profit. Reason trying to appease too many
    variation wants via internet forum feedback on traditionals and buying up really lame
    non want other small companies.
    Seems they do reasonably well on Gretsch but Guild models seem over priced and
    who is buying in that market?

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yeah, probably a good business decision for Fender. At least, I hope so. I can stomach a few guitar brands leaving the marketplace where their niches don't fit anymore, especially if it helps Fender survive.

No love for the Ovations, but I've played a few nice Guilds.

19. Flipped Mustang

Flipped Mustang Tele-Holic

It's amazing how many great acts played and recorded with Ovation guitars in the 70's and the reputation the guitar should have had from that pedigree never stuck. Some great music was made with Ovation guitars.

20. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

I love my seventies Balladeer. Plays great, sounds great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.