1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Clean Sound

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by iowacarver, Jan 10, 2013.

1. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

When I got my Blue Jr. I loved it too. Something happened at some point... I don't know when as I went from loving the sound to hating it. Maybe something went wrong with it.. It just sounds like crap and I am worried no one will think it sounds good when I go to sell it. To me it sounds that crappy.

Corey

2. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Wow, great prices. If I found amps like that around here for those kind of prices, I'd be worried about the receiving stolen property charges. I know Klamath Falls is sort of isolated but since you're here, I feel it's safe to say you have the internet.

3. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

I think I found out why I am disliking the Blues Jr. so much.... the first tube barely gets hot or lights up and sometimes it's not at all. Looks like that is the tonal issue. I will get a couple new tubes and see if the love is there :) Do I need to replace all of the tubes in the amp? I bought it May 2012 brand new, however it is a Blues Jr. II as far as I can tell. He had half a dozen of them and sold it to me for $400.00 so the price was right.

Never even thought something might be bad with it. I still hate the reverb, if the tubes fix the issue maybe I will upgrade the tank.

Corey

4. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

I had a Blues Jr. for a little while, and the reverb was so overpowering that to me it was unusable at any setting higher than about "2" on the dial. Apparently someone at Fender Corp was still into 50's-era surf music when the designed the Blues Junior.

There are fixes, though. Bill M's recommended fix is to replace the reverb potentiometer with a logarithmic one. This gives you a smoother and more progressive control of the reverb at low settings, but the full amount is still available at the other end of the dial, and and lets you still drown your music in far too much syrupy reverb if you happen to be lacking in all restraint.

I implemented a different (easier) fix on my Blues Junior. By changing the value of one single resistor on the circuit board, I roughly halved the amount of wet reverb signal that gets mixed back in with the dry guitar signal. With this change, the range from roughly 0 to 5 on the dial became usable (instead of 0 to 2). Even cut in half, there was still a ridiculous excess of reverb if you went up to the other end of the dial.

If you're having the same problem (too much reverb coming in too soon at low settings), one of these fixes might work for you. The usual warnings apply - there are dangerously high voltages in tube amps, so get a qualified tech to do the work for you.

-Gnobuddy

5. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

Nope G-buddy the opposite, no verb or not enough for me. Would love wet drippy surf reverb :) I like lots of verb and delay for rockabilly stuff and 60's country as well. If all is ok after the tubes and I likey I may send to BillM for some mods but we will see.

Corey

6. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Corey, Bill M has a web page that may help you diagnose what is wrong with your Blues Junior reverb. Some fixes are easy, it's worth taking a look: http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=46

-Gnobuddy

7. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

Thanks G, yeah been looking at his page. Lots of stuff there. Wish I knew amps like he does! I had to order a standby switch... neat little upgrade for 20.00 bucks even if I don't keep it.

Corey

8. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

What's wrong with Blooze Jr. is IC driven and recovered reverb. Might as well have some silly pedal.

9. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Personally I can't think of any reason why the drive signal into the reverb spring needs to have tube distortion on it.

The dry guitar signal, yes, we all prefer tube distortion on that, but mixing tube distortion into the reverb signal makes no particular sense to me. IMO IC driven reverb is just fine and makes more sense than the traditional method of using a high-voltage, low current device (a tube) to drive a low-impedance spring reverb through an expensive and heavy reverb transformer.

Besides, you can always turn the reverb down to zero if you hate integrated circuits, and that will take the IC's completely out of the equation.

What I personally didn't love about the Blues Jr was two things: one, I never really warmed up to the timbre of those EL84 pentodes (which have lots of 3rd harmonic distortion). This applies to every other amp I've listened to that has EL84 output tubes.

Two, the nearly cubical Blues Jr. cabinet seems to cause rather boxy-sounding bass, and I continued to hear that boxy colouration even after doing the BillM mod on the tone control (different cap for the bass control).

But lots of people love these amps. It's just a matter of personal taste.

-Gnobuddy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.