1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Clean Sound

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by iowacarver, Jan 10, 2013.

1. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

I have a Fender Blues Jr., a Super Champ X2 and a Front man 25. I love the cleans I get out if my SC X2 both on the tube side and the modelling side. I hate the Blues Jr and I am going to get rid if it. Don't really care for the Frontman sound but i use it to run back tracks thru. I like a Fender clean sparkling/jangle sound which I know I can get from some more pricey Fender amps but don't want to spend more than 400.00 or so. I am not a gigger, just jamming away in my music room. This is all about want frankly, not about need and not interested in chasing down used stuff.

I hear a lot of talk on the Peavey Bandit 112 amp have great solid state clean. I don't care about distortion, I can get that if I want from the Super Champ. Will the this SS amp give me the nice clean and jangly sounds that I want? I play classic country, rockabilly type stuff.

Also, I wonder about the Mustang III, but I have the SCX2 with the fender fuse etc. Is a mustang kind of redundant along side the SCX2 or would they compliment each other?

Thanks

Corery

2. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I like Peaveys, I have used them quite a bit, but jangly isn't what I think of when I play through one. It's got a good crispness through the Bandit, and can get a nice warm sound, but not really jangly. I am really liking my Fender Excelsior. That gets a nice jangly sound. The speaker is a bit stiff at first, but it loosens right up. I find that I have clean headroom from a tele on the bright selector over the halfway mark, which is pretty damn loud for at home play. People either love or hate it, but I8'd try one out for a week, give that speaker a chance to break in. It makes all the difference in the world with that amp. $300 new.

3. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

You say your budget is $400..and you DONT was used gear..and you want that Fender Clean ?? Yes..the Mustang 3 will get you there and some. It's the SChamp and then some.

Having the SChamp, should allow you to navigate around the M3 with ease. Lots of material online about all these amps..do your homework before you take our word on anything.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

A real, all-tube Super Champ circa '82-'85 will get true 'Fender Cleans'....a Super Champ XD will not. True Fender cleans exist in the tube domain. Don't shoot the messenger.....blame reality! (;^)
    $400 for Fender cleans but not used? Keep saving your money. For a few hundred more, you can get there.....in a used amp.

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I totally agree about the Bandit. I love my Bandits, but sparkle/jangle is not what I think of regarding Bandit tone. I like the fullness, the warmth of Bandit cleans.

A friend has a Mustang I. Mostly he keeps it at his lake house. He's gigged with it just once that I know of, at a small coffee shop gig. (He's got a Super Sonic for bigger gigs.) That mustang held its own in that small venue, even competing with another guitarist and a bassist (playing through a Peavey TNT 100, IIRC). So for your home use, I'm sure a Mustang would work.

I don't have any experience with the Excelsior, but I would think it could be a good choice. And the price is right.

6. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

TS, I had not thought about the Excelsior. Thanks for your opinion on the Bandit. That's what I wanted to know.

Corey

7. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

Thanks Matt! I love the SCX2 the clean channel alone is great. On the modeling side I wondered if it be more of the same. As you say, I think i will go play one in the stores to make sure I am getting something more. BTW Mattie, I got my GFS 63 Pickups put in my MIM sparkle tele tonight!! Sounds great!!

Corey

8. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

Wally, the SCX2 is a real tube amp. It has a great clean tube channel and the other side is modeling. The clean side is wonderful.. kicks the **** out of my Blues Jr. Thanks for weighing in!

9. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

Thanks for the opinion on the Bandit. That is what I wanted to know. Going to check out the Excelsior!

Corey

10. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

If you want to sell the Jr, PM me with details.

I have no experience with the Excelsior either, but I'm not sure how jangly you can get with a 15" speaker.
    My PV Classic 30 gets pretty jangly, and my Bogners have wonderful cleans.

11. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Did you get that GFS pick up based off of my recommendations? Nonetheless, I'm glad you like it !

I have it paired with, an AlNiCo 5 neck pup, from an 08 American Standard Tele.... I could praise That combination all day, but I won't :)

ForumRunner_20130110_222145.jpg

ForumRunner_20130110_222159.jpg

12. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

Matt I heard what your MIM sounded like and heard others recommend them so yeah it helped when you said you were happy with it. I wish I had gotten the set. Need to swap out the neck one as well. The guy that works on my guitars thought it sounded great!

BFB thanks for the info. I will be selling it but frankly I am not interested in shipping the amp and messing with all that. I will be selling it locally but thank you for your interest. someone also PM'd me and said I should look at the Classic 30. Going to go plug in to one at Guitar Center.

Thanks guys for your help,
    Corey

13. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Frankly, I'm not sure a PV C30 is necessarily superior to your BJr. Have you tried playing with the master volume full up and adjusting volume with the pre volume and/or volume on your guitar? I've been able to get pretty nice cleans from a BJr that way. Maybe it's too obvious and you've tried that already?

If that doesn't work and you want sub-$400 rich cleans I'd try the Mustang III. Pretty good amps for the price. Plus since you're just playing at home it has the computer interface, an mp# player input, and a headphone jack.

14. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Here we go again :lol:... Save your money, for a few dollars more you can and should get a USED SF Twin Reverb ! You will never have to start a thread about this subject ever again ! :D

15. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

It's not quite. Word direct from Fender is the clean channel is DSP'd as well, then goes through power tube section, just like the voices channel. The UK Fender marketing dude said it had a tube channel on his YT demo vid and was pulled up on it.

It does sound very good though, I spent half the morning trying a few - Pro, BJIII, and couldn't leave the X2 alone.

Gave the Vox VT20 another run too, as it's way more affordable, but really didn't like it. The models are moslty shred zone, which means more tweaking to back them off. My Pathfinder is a nicer amp IMO.

But I hate reading threads on this, as you always see US buyers picking up the XD for around 200 and the X2 for not much more. Best I can get here in Aus is $470. That makes you think twice, or I'd have one at home right now.

16. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

I know you said you didn't want to "chase down used stuff" but save up and buy a used DRRI...seriously.

17. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

Irregardless whether the models are rendered via DSP or not the power tubes make it sound like a real tube amp to my ears and I've owned plenty of tube amps over the years. The SCXD is an excellent amp for it's size. You can mic them through a PA system if you turn up the midrange / bass or you can get a different speaker for it if you're that picky but a lot of people change them out then return to the stock speaker.

18. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The Mustang III would be redundant. If you have the X2 combo then just get a cab with a 12 or 2x12. They make one specifically for the X2 head but you know you can plug the combo in.

I've had a Celestion G80 12 for about 15 years in an old Polytone cab that I've used with a 1st generation Blues Jr (hated it) an XD that I still have and the X2. It's very similar in freq range to the Celestion they put in the X2 cab (as I've been told by Celestion people) and I get some stellar sounds from my amp.

I'm not sure why you're still searching for the Fender sound when, imo, you already have it but, if the X2 isn't doing it, you might want to save up for a DRRI. That will get you there in spades.

19. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Deluxe Reverb or reissue, or Twin, or maybe a Vox.

Those will clean and jangle most righteously.

Not sure about any of these other amps mentioned; I've got a Peavey Classic 30 but jangle isnt what I get out of it. Maybe I dont have it set up right to do that, wrong speaker and/or wrong tubes and/or wrong guitar for jangle... dont know.

20. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

A local guy just paid $400 for a blackface deluxe. I paid $250 for a mint '65 Blackface Princeton Reverb a couple of years ago. Jangly clean is blackface or most silverface Fender amps. Nothing wrong with the different tones of Peavey and other amps but they are not those old Fender amps for Jangly clean. Be patient and you could score a nice vintage amp for a great price. Have it checked out with a good amp tech and play the heck out of it with a smile on your face.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.