Fender Chris Stapleton 62 Princeton... almost....

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ruger9, Jan 25, 2019.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Chicago Matt likes this.
  2. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Nice amp! But $2K = $2Steep for me. :(

3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

zephyrR1, Geo and RadioFM74 like this.
  4. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Zowie! I might start saving my change for something like that. I'm sure the "hand-wired" part adds a lot to the cost. . .how many hours does it take to do that, at how much per hour, at what markup by Fender, hmmm?

uriah1 likes this.
  5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I have a Filson dog bowl in my studio that I use for picks, capos slides etc.. Might as well have the best.. lol

6. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I would rather see a handwired Brownface Deluxe. That price is pretty much what Fender handwired reissues are going for these days, I'm not shocked at that.
    Al

7. ruger9

I'm surprised no hardcore vintage guys are here screaming about how Fender "got it wrong" because it's not a 10" speaker...LOL

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  8. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

A Fender amp without reverb is like bread that hasn't been sliced.

9. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

It doesn't have enough knobs or buttons for me.

boredguy6060 and E5RSY like this.
  10. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

No, they're happy because clone builders will still have a niche! :p

Actually, it's pretty understood that it's a Stapleton custom rig, not a reissue.

drri and brbadg like this.
  11. ruger9

Agreed! All this amp needs to be perfect is the blackface Princeton's reverb.

Marsh actually make such an animal, called the Buffalo Reverb. A 6G2 with bias trem and spring reverb. I've never heard a good demo of it, but I bet it's great.

12" speaker, master volume...

Allen also makes something similar, the Sweet Spot, altho it's not a 6G2 circuit; Allen sort of takes the best from brown and black and smashes them together....

I've actually been eyeing the PR Knotty Pine... between the 12" Alnico cream (more mids), and changing the mids resistor (an easy mod), I'll bet you could get it into 6G2 territory, tone-wise....

Geo, alnico357 and Mr.Ike like this.
  12. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

This is a decent release from Fender. I bet it sounds great. Want reverb? A 6G12 Reverb tank, even a RI version would sound amazing with this amp. Good job Fender. Yet the prices... Out of reach of many folks. You just can't get hand wired quality for low prices. Unless you build it yourself. Low priced, and still allow a company to make a decent profit = cheap crap. Fender is trying their best to keep quality up, yet prices not too crazy, yet still make a profit. Well in most cases... Have you seen the latest 5E3 with re-claimed barn wood for $7,500. Stupid ridiculous.

13. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

Gibson copied the 6G2 circuit in many of their late 50s early 60s amps. Most can be had for less than $1000 on Reverb. Examples are GA-5T Skylark, GA-8T Gibsonette, GA-16T Viscount and Explorer, and the GA-19RVT Falcon (also has reverb). Many have the original RCA 6V6 and preamp tubes as well as vintage Jensen Alnico speakers.

ifallalot and High Head Brad like this.
  14. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a pair of Filson upland brush pants that I’ve had for 20 years or so. They’re indestructible. That cover might actually outlast the amp itself.

PBO Blues likes this.
  15. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A Chris Stapleton model? Really? Fender marketing I suspect. It does look like a cool amp though. Definitely bare bones.

I really didn't know much about him until I saw this amp. I watched about 10-15 videos, live and studio. He is a pretty good songwriter/artist. That's not my issue.

He seems to be more of an acoustic player. When he does play electrics it's still more rhythm oriented. And usually has a lead section, even one with Stugill Simpson.

Not really sure how they came across the idea of a signature model. The only thing I could come up with is Fender is trying to capture the "new country" type followers. Maybe?

That said, I think they're about $500-$700 over priced at the least. I'm not overly convinced that the Stapleton name is going to drive people to take the $2000 leap.

I guess you do have to consider the radio knobs, artwork brass plate and the snazzy Filson cover. When I saw it was a Filson cover. I was expecting the red/black plaid.

Have you priced a Filson coat lately?:eek:

I'm really not slamming him, it's all JMHO.

Les H and TequilaCaster like this.
  16. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

There are a ton of guys who make Handwired reissues that sound amazing. I know the name means a lot to some, it depends on what your long term goals are I imagine. But, if you want the fender one, you’re gonna pay for it.

17. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

I think it’s very cool of Fender to bring back the 6G2. It’s such a simple and amazing amp. Nice to see some reissues of the awesome brownface amps. Price is steep but people will buy them for sure. Originals are anywhere from 1500-2000+ range. Great for people who want the sound and a warranty but don’t want to deal with vintage amp service and repairs.

I’ve had my original ‘64 tuxedo 6G2 for over 10 years. She’s a keeper!

brbadg likes this.
  18. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Yeah well .. aren't all fenders overpriced on release ... Let's give it until christmas and see what happens :)

19. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Better grab one, in ten years it’ll be $4k if you can even get one then...mine was less than $600...
    BBF20832-6E65-400E-B36F-03852D7857BD.jpeg

bryan83 and radiocaster like this.
  20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

O.k., you can also get a turret board VHT pretty cheap, but I find Fender's other "reissue" amps expensive, the PC board ones, so I'm not sure the price is too bad on these if they are really US Custom Shop and not hand wired PC boards. Not that any of these would be under my radar to buy.

If you want expensive, I saw an article earlier with a Fender Custom Shop Antigua (Coronado). It had a center block unlike the original and the price was 14000 something British Pounds.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.