Fender Champion 600 vs Fender Blues Jr., etc

Jaysmay

TDPRI Member
I started with a Tweed Blues Jr. I never could get the sound I liked. Sold it very easily.

I have a 57 Custom Champ and will likely sell...i never got a sweet sound like I hear about on the threads here.

I have and play a Princeton 65 RI, the 10 inch speaker and really like it.

Next week I will have delivered a Blonde Deluxe Reverb Tone Master. We will see as it is a journey.

So far I've stuck to Fender amps. There are a lot of great amps out there, you can get a lot guidance here.

I play at home only.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
So, I’m about 18 months into my (electric) guitar journey, and got my tube amp about 6 months ago….

I really liked the blues Jr, but decided it was too much for around the house. Sure, I could go attenuator but that’s a separate purchase and less simplicity.

I landed on a Vox AC4; 4w 10” built in attenuator. I really like it. I decided when it’s time to play with people I’d just shop again (not for everyone, I get the “buy once” thing, but this plan works for me.)

I also had my mind set on Fender, but when I played the Vox in person I changed my tune. Best thing you can do is go try amps, see what tickles you.

Side note, check out the Blackstar HT amps. Probably the most feature-loaded tube amps out there, great for a home player.

Happy hunting!

FenderMan05

TDPRI Member
If you're mostly playing at home and you need to keep your volume low I would forget small, very basic valve amps frankly; as was mentioned above they seldom sound good unless worked hard (if they're a very basic amp like the 600), by which time the neighbours will be banging on your door-five valve watts can get pretty loud. Buy a decent modeller like one of the Fender Mustangs, or maybe a Boss Katana 50. The power scaling feature in the latter allows you to get great tones at whisper levels, and with a 50W rating you'll have plenty of power when you want to gig or jam with others. The Blues Junior is far too powerful to get satisfying tones with at home volume levels unless you use pedals with it; I owned one briefly and honestly didn't like it at all. For sheer versatility you can't beat a decent modeller though-from pristine cleans to metal and all points between they'll do it. I'm sure many valve 'purists' will disagree!
Caveat; I use a Marshall DSL5CR 1x10 combo at home, and with the 0.5W setting tones are still very usable at very low volumes. It's also pretty loud for its 5W rating so jamming with others and a polite drummer is no problem. My other small home-use amp is an old Roland Cube 20XL. A truly great sounding, cheap solid state amp.
Of course this is all subjective and the only real way you'll find what you want is to play through as many amps as you realistically can. Have fun!
Thank you, but I'm really tired of solid state. I've played a couple tube amps at shops and the response on them is so much better. They feel real as you're playing them. But every solid state amp I've played sounds a little digital no matter what you do.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
If you're mostly playing at home and you need to keep your volume low I would forget small, very basic valve amps frankly...
I would like to disagree ;)
I´ve been playing my tube-amps at home for more than 20 years and have yet to find a solid-state amp that would make a reasonable replacement.
If you think your amp is too loud (for your neighbors) - just get an attenuator.
Preferably one that will let you choose different impedances (4/8/16 Ohms). They´re all over the place at around $100 and they do just what they´re intended to do.

My Tweed Deluxe w/attenuator at around 11pm:

cheers - 68

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
My on again/off again relationship with the Champion 600 is back on--found the resistor that was giving me trouble and tried some different tubes and now it sounds great.

Bartimaeus

TDPRI Member
had a champ 600 for a while, but it felt very "one note". wouldn't want it as my only amp, and as others have said it's pretty quiet. best to mic it up if you have a drummer.

i prefer the vox ac4, after swapping out the capacitor c5 for a value that allows more bass. it does need to be mic'd for gigs though.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I like all the small Fender tube amps, but I have to have at least a 10" speaker or preferable 12". I used to have a Fender Musicmaster bass amp which is essentually a Champ with a 12" cabinet. I loved that amp.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I have the Monoprice 5W and like it. The only problem is that it is too loud at breakup. I ended up having to buy some pedals to get some dirt tones at lower volumes. A couple of dirt pedals for crunch and distortion and a reverb or delay pedal aren't cheap. I don't mind because I enjoy researching and collecting pedals now, but take that into effect when choosing an amp. A more expensive amp with a master volume and reverb would have been the cheaper option.