Fender Champion 600 parts advise needed

alexanderre

TDPRI Member
Hi all 👋

Got me a used Champ 600 today - sounds great to me, but it needs a new volume pot and one of the black chassis screws is lost.
So can you suggest the following:
1) a place to buy online an original volume pot for this amp
2) screw size/thread - I see it's a basically 1" long black screw, but not sure it 1,5" would work?

Thanks 🙏

Attachments

• tempImageBap36t.png
    tempImageBap36t.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1490.jpeg
    IMG_1490.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 30

alexanderre

TDPRI Member
Well mine spins 360 degrees - stopper is broken. Contact cleaner made it a tad less scratchy but I’ll resolve it in no time when I’ll have a new pot

dan40

Friend of Leo's
It's very easy to find a chassis mount potentiometer but trying to track down some of the newer pcb mount pots can be difficult. Are there any numbers or manufacturer name on the pot that you could use to do a search online? If not, you could dig through all of the listings here at Mouser until you find a match.

From the picture it appears that you will need a 1 meg, audio taper, pcb mount with solid plastic shaft. Hopefully you can find the same style searching through the Mouser listings. If not, using a chassis mount pot is an option as Powdog mentioned.

dan40

Friend of Leo's
As for the machine screw, without knowing thread size/pitch and whether it is metric or imperial, it may be hard to track down an exact match. Most hardware stores will have a thread checking tool that you can use to determine the size and pitch. Once you have this info, you should be able to track down a black machine screw online pretty easily. You may have to purchase multiple quantities but they are usually fairly cheap and you will then have extras for the future.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Tubesandmore.com has one or two that might work, or you could snip the three wires from the ribbon and solder in a higher quality pot. It’s a 1Meg audio taper pot. View attachment 1035176
Yeah, if you're going to go to the trouble of changing out the volume pot, just put a better one in while you're in there, and you may as well also put in nicer metal input jacks at the same time and get rid of the little pcb altogether. I've got this on my to-do list.

Powdog

Tele-Holic
Yeah, if you're going to go to the trouble of changing out the volume pot, just put a better one in while you're in there, and you may as well also put in nicer metal input jacks at the same time and get rid of the little pcb altogether. I've got this on my to-do list.
Agreed.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
While you've got it opened up, if it has the original grille cloth, replace it with real GRILLE CLOTH to hear all the treble that the amp naturally produces. The manufacturer used something cheap that attenuates treble.