1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Champ Reissue Review - I Hate It

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by overlook1977, Jan 13, 2021.

1. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Not to threadjack, hopefully this is an enhancement...

How big are the cabs? What speakers are you using? Pine? Hardwood? Closed or open?

Inquiring minds want to know.

2. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

And you should know 17 & 1/2 X 16 & 1/2 X 11 & 1/4 deep approx 1/2 inch thick wood.. I bought a small 1x12 speaker, made it a ten, then made it an 8 and it sounded fantastic. So I had a wood working friend copy the dimensions. So, a 57 champ has its own sound, don't mess with that. but to expand, just connect that cab with your choice of 8 inch speaker and rock;4 ohms. PM me your phone numbers, I will text a pic.

3. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

Jesus, if you're gonna buy a Champ, get a REAL one and not a "Pretender"! Late 70's Silver Face Champs can be had for a $K ! Not that much difference in sound to a 50's tweed or a 60's Black Face.

Mine, wouldn't trade for anything! .... except a 50's Gibson GA series, cleaner than Champ and more mellow breakup.

1963 "Transition Champ" (VERY Rare)
    Fender 63-4 Champ Black Tweed front.jpg
    Fender 63-4 Champ Black Tweed panel.jpg
    1965 Champ (not a reissue)
    Fender Champ 1965.JPG
    1967 Champ (silver face)
    1967 Fender Champ Silver Face.jpg
    1967 Vibro Champ (silver face) best year from Silver Face Champs, but expensive $2700 to $3200 if minty.
    1967 Fender Vibro Champ Silver Face.jpg

1959 Gibson GA-8 (8 watts) Gibsonette aka Les Paul Model. The ONLY 50's amp that sounds better than a 50's/60's Fender Champ. You can find these for under a $Grand USD. Gibson used Jensens and JBL's
    1959 GA-8 Gibsonette front sml.jpg

1959 GA-8 Gibsonette back.jpg

1959 Gibson GA-9T (Tremolo) "Discoverer", as wonderful as above GA-8 but 9-10 watts.
    1959 GA-9T Gibson Discoverer frt.jpg

4. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

So, you can return it can't you ?

5. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I had the opportunity to play through a couple of small tweeds years ago when they could be bought at a reasonable figure. A Champ and a Deluxe, as I recall, and these were two of my least favorite amps at the time. Both were owned by someone who, I feel certain, had them in fine condition and my reaction was that they sounded "flubby" and indistinct.
    I have heard a few larger ones and liked those. Don't know which models they were, except for the Bassman, and on that point I have to agree with Merle Haggard that it's one of the best guitar amps ever made.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  6. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I've got a Pignose from the 80s or 90s and have used it quite a bit and gotren usable sounds. Yes you can get a clean sound if you keep the amp volume below 50% and back off on your guitars volume knob.
    20210119_010039.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I have 1 year old '57 Champ clone and really like it a lot. You can get clean sounds maybe up to 4 on the amps volume knob if you also lower your guitar's volume. But where the amp really excels is where it just starts to breakup and to mild breakup. My favorite settings are at 8 or 9 on the amp's volume with a Tele and add guitar volume to taste, but it sounds good all the way up to 12. 20210112_005145.jpg 20210112_005128.jpg 20210112_005159.jpg

8. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It depends on the speaker. The OEM (a Jensen C10R) IS crap. But I put a Celestion Greenback 10 in mine, and it was awesome. I also tried a Weber C10N copy (because Jensen doesn't make a C10N anymore), and it was very good, I just preferred the Greenback. That being said, I now own a PRRI with a 12" Celestion Cream Alnico, and I couldn't be happier with the little amp. It's a home amp to be sure- a clean-platform amp, if you will. I wouldn't gig with it unless it was a mellow gig requiring only clean/clean-ish tones. But it sounds great, it sounds big, and small amps can be cool... but not the stock PRRI lol... especially when fender ships them biased so low.

Telenator likes this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Everytime I see a Pignose I'm just drawn to it. A cultural R&R thing ( as a kid of the '70's learning to play- a few of my friends had them)

And I actually kind of gravitate towards a dynamic sound ( with guitar Volume knob) that rides between clean and dirty.
    It's a sound I can work with ( along with pickups/selector) for just about anything I may play.

* plus I dig small amps! So maybe a 2021 purchase up the road

Maguchi likes this.
  10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Agreed. A 12" speaker is my first mod to a Princeton. They sound great with a 12. All these other little amps sound like old transistor radios to me.

11. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

They still make 'em new for about $125. Don't know if the new ones sound as good as the older ones. Go try one out in a store!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  12. Shnook

Shnook Tele-Meister

I have a 1959 Tweed Champ that I just adore. It has a lovely warm clean tone. The trick with these amps is to keep the volume around 4 for cleans. Anything over that for me sounds awful. But some folks love it. If you want to be a ‘crank it up’ player use your guitars volume knob and see what that does for you.

middy likes this.
  13. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

Yeah. A tweed champ is a you either love or hate it kind of amp.

I made a Mojotone one. Followed the directions exactly and had an amp very similar sounding as you describe. I would be lying if I said that I liked it.

it wasn’t until I put a couple of 100uf ceramic caps across the volume pot. It completely opened up the amp and now I can’t get enough of it.

sidenote: I have now made a couple of amps from Mojotone. I will make my amps from now on.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.