1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Champ 600

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by charlie chitlin, Nov 27, 2020.

1. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I have the Gretsch version. Bought it new for $190 CAN. Did the usual mods. Replaced the 12ax7 with a 12ay7 and replaced the 6v6 with a nice old NOS one. I love the sounds that come out of it. Very, barky, woody and lo fi, in a good way. Never did replace the speaker, since I liked the sound of it as is.

I've noticed the prices of these creeping up, but, then, they were cheap as chips to begin with and they are good little amps. Here's mine, BTW, with the new grill cloth:

IMG-0674.JPG

Blister likes this.
  2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Cool! Glad you like it.
    The whole album is on Soundcloud.
    I think it's an amazing album.
    I only did the guitars. The bandleader did everything else, including the artwork, which Diskmasters used on their website for years.
    I really thought that album was going to go nationwide, but the genius bandleader (no snark...total freakin' genius) got involved in a theater project he liked more.

3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Thanks.
    I was hoping to find the exact replacement, so I don't have to measure and look at the data sheets.
    It is a tight fit.

4. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

It Looks like it mounts on its side with ON-OFF in the horizontal plane. Its likely that most 1/2" bushing switches would work. Since It's broken, you'll do well to remove it and take measurements so that you can find a replacement. I wouldn't worry about an exact replacement - it may be subpar compared to a lot of standard switches supplied by mouser, etc.

5. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

ME too

I borrowed a friend's years ago... the second worst amp ever (The worst hands down is the Peavey Bandit blue ribbon). Is so small and tiny that farts and fuzzes. My friend asked me to mod it... all the things you say, new valves, new grill, tone stack, better components

I told him to save that money, get more selling "that" and build a 12" 15W Champ

He is happier now

AxemanVR likes this.
  6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    I especially like mine because it's 5 watts, since I have plenty of higher output amps, but it's biggest limitation is that tiny speaker inside that tiny cabinet. Just plugging into a 12" external speaker cabinet can reveal its potential. That said, I found myself adding several other mods to actually make it usable beyond just a cute little practice amp.

This link outlines the long process it took to finally make mine into a decent small performance / recording amp:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/introducing-the-one-and-only-unofficial-fender-champtone-764.823203/

So, you're correct, in its most basic form it is fairly limited and does require a concerted effort (and cost) to really make it shine...

`

El Marin likes this.
  7. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

That's what I told my friend... The cost of buying one and change everything is more or less the same of getting a Champ done

I have not ever liked any 5W amp I have tried. And I wanted to... small footprint, low volume... but no

8. fraser

fraser Tele-Afflicted

I dunno,
    I bought one when they came out.
    Tried a few minor circuit mods.
    The only change from stock i kept was a different resitance value in the mids section of the tone stack.

i can crank it at any hour in my apartment, sounds great to me for a small amp.

screams with a rangemaster in front of it.

i like mine a lot.

9. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I bought one a couple years ago for $120 with a jensen speaker, grill cloth, and tubes already done. It sounds pretty good. It makes a nice head for a 2x10 cab. Breakup is a little harsh, but for a tiny motorcycle friendly amp, I'd definitely pay more. I've used it a bunch rehearsing with my band, and recorded the 6" speaker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.