1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Champ 600

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by charlie chitlin, Nov 27, 2020.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

What's going on with these things?
    They're already selling for more than when they were new.
    I seem to remember them being all over for 80-125 bucks.

2. Renegade

Renegade Tele-Meister

I bought one when they first came out and was really not impressed, so I returned it.
    Since then, I have noticed a lot of different mods so maybe it is a good platform...but to me it wasn't worth it at $99, there is no way I would pay $250 and up.

3. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Nice amp - I bought and sold two - now I wish that I had one .

4. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Mine came alive putting in a Weber speaker over the stock. NOS/ANOS tubes also helped.

5. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Yeah, they are great little amps with a few changes. Grille cloth and speaker first, next tubes, then tone circuit if you want. Huge difference from stock. I thought it was a good value for under $100. Not so much what they are going for now. Hell at $100 it is still worth it to gut and rebuild point to point. :twisted:

IMG_20180803_155358574.jpg CIMG0284.JPG

6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Yeah, I like mine after extensive mods, and they are a fun project platform in that regard.

But, if were to do things over again I'd make my own hand wired point-to-point circuit using higher quality parts and a bigger cabinet with at least a Tone control to accommodate some tonal adjust-ability.

It's a simple enough circuit and, if you're going the modification route anyway, it's a good way to learn how to build a simple amplifier (just be careful not to electrocute yourself)...

`

Obsessed likes this.
  7. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

Supply and demand, they are no longer produced and it is a niche market. Not a lot of nice looking decent sounding 5W SE around.

This kind of reminds me, I need to get myself one. Never enough of 5W amps ;)

Blister and Steve Holt like this.
  8. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I bought one . It came with a Chinese 6L6 in it . I learned this when I swapped a used 6V6 into it . Needs a speaker .

9. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

Hmm, I always thought that the black GT that came stock with it was Russian. Did a quick research and indeed the Shuguang 6V6 looks like the tube in the Champion 600. o_O

10. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I really like mine with the usual mods--retubed, grille cloth, better speaker, tone and nfb lifted from circuit, back panel reconfigured into two separate panels for more airflow. Sounds decent stock, but really gets good with a little work, and loud for such a little amp. I think it was $130, with another $20 for the speaker and $30 more to replace the cheap tubes with JJ's--a real bargain.

Way more fun than a yucky-sounding solid state practice amp, and I find that the controls on my guitar more than make up for a lack of tone control--you can add that with a little more work if you want it, but the originals didn't have them either.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement power switch for the Champion 600?
    I have the Gretsch version and the switch jammed in the off position.

12. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I have seen all metal backs of the speaker frame, but never perforated like that. Looks like a Jensen.

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Sounded like utter garbage to me. As low wattage amps go, I have less into my outstanding sounding '63 Gibson Skylark than it would have taken to have purchased a Champion 600 and made it into a good sounding amp.

El Marin likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I wanted to rip off that speaker griilcloth so badly when I tried them. It sounded like a blanket over the speaker. I swore the Gretch version sounded better. I wish I had bought one after reading all of the potential mods. It probably is a good introduction to amp work.

15. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

My first tube Amp and I still love the thing. I've moved on of course and it doesn't sound as good. But going from cheap solid states to a real deal fender tube Amp was an eye opener. It just had all those crunchy tones. I never liked playing through an Amp before it.

I'd imagine if you started with something high end and moved backwards to the champ 600 you'd hate it. But that would also be like owning a Fender American standard, picking up a Squier affinity and saying what's the big deal?

16. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I bought one when they first came out but honestly it never really got me excited so it just sat ever since. A few weeks ago I sold it for $100. I knew I could have gotten more, but wanted to move it along so someone who liked it would actually use and enjoy it. Did the same with a Super Champ XD but for more $.

17. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Yes. P6V from a film projector most likely. Ebay special $10. World of difference. Good NOS tubes and removing the tone stack was the rest of the ticket for me. Even after playing through my other vintage Fender and Marshalls, I still come back to this one for just the fun of it. I have thought of going point to point but I won't unless it dies. I don't even miss tremolo or reverb as it has an almost three dimensional sound to it. Not boxy at all.

Jensen speaker2.jpg

18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had one for awhile.
    It had a....unique sound.
    I used it on this recording, but I'm not sure if I'd have wanted to use it too often, but it sounds cool here.
    You can really hear it in the solo.

19. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Wow, really nice song! I like the string parts.

20. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

You should be able to find one on Mouser. Look for the DPST switch with a 250V rating that is not bigger than the one you have. Also, pay attention to the mount size.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.