1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Champ 600 screeches when turned on

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by skeletool, Mar 2, 2017.

1. skeletool

skeletool NEW MEMBER!

A while ago I made the mistake of cranking my little champ 600 while playing through a EH Big Muff. After playing for a minute, I heard a pop and the amp just started playing screeching feedback.

I noticed that the powertube was blown so I replaced that. I turned it on and it is still making the noise, even when volume is at zero! I also had some spare 12ax7's and replaces the pretube and that didn't change anything at all.

2. skeletool

skeletool NEW MEMBER!

I would like to add that i tried the amp through another speaker also and made the same noise so it is definitly an issue with the amp

3. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

check that the screen grid resistor isn't shot....R26...the one under the word instruments. Search all the area and surrounding parts for signs of burning. I've had a 600 to fix that had the PCB track damaged through burnt out resistors....or was it by the tube socket solder tabs...can't remember.

upload_2017-3-2_20-39-54.png

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  4. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

While your at it check R10 as well..the correct values are seen here;
    upload_2017-3-2_20-53-52.png

5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

My apology for the hijack , but looking at the second schematic makes me chuckle just a bit . I replaced the 6V6 in mine with a good 6V6 that I had cannibalized from a car radio . The funny part came later when I checked out the 6V6 that it came with . It really isn't a 6V6 . It is a 6L6 .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.