Fender Champ 600 reissue selling?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hombre de twang, Apr 16, 2019.

1. hombre de twang

hombre de twang TDPRI Member

I have a Fender Champ 600 ri with new tubes but the back panel is missing. These seem to be fetching at least 200 plus on the used market just stock. Should I sell mine or hold on to it?

2. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

Keep it.

3. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I dunno, I'd think $150 is more in the ballpark of what most of these are sold for. Unless they have some fancy mods or something. Certainly less with the back missing.

Why do you want to sell it? Need the money? Don't like the amp?

4. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Whats the story on these little reissues? Are they good little practice amps for a couple bills? Are they all tube or ss rectifier?

5. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

Solid state rectifier.

6. hombre de twang

For some reason they are going up in price on Reverb. I like the amp, but I'd rather have the cash to put into a legit 1960's vibro champ.

7. hombre de twang

They were made 2006-2013. suppose to be a resissue, but don't really sound like the original. Idk why they are going up in price. It's kinda like the fender excelsior. Cool amps, but not worth more than what people originally bought them for.

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I love mine, but I wouldn't pay that much for one.

9. hombre de twang

I paid 60 for mine. They are cool practice and even recording amps, but i'm just ready to part with mine. It's a bull market for this amp right now for this amp.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

I was looking at Champion 600’s just the other day for a friend who wants a simple tube amp.

$200 to $250 with $30 shipping is common.

I bought both of mine years ago at Guitar Center on Black Friday sales. $99 and $129. I think they’re great practice and late night amps. I wouldn’t sell one to make $100. I like the amps too much. Plug a stereo Tremolo pedal into two of them for wiggly fun. :D

11. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

Could you make a replacement back panel?

What happened to the original?

As far as selling or holding onto it: Are you using it now? Does it serve a purpose?

I ditched a Champ-like AMP a few months ago, because I never played it and it wasn't interesting enough to keep around. I only got about $175 for it. I figured as long as I recouped the cost of the cabinet it would be worth it. I was sad to not get top dollar for it, but I did spend the money on something much more useful that has a purpose.

12. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

Are they actually selling for that much?
    I usually see them on Craigslist here in Portland for $80-$120.
    I paid $80 for mine and it came with nice nos tubes and upgraded MOD speaker.
    After I installed regular fender grill cloth in mine it sounded sweet. I wish I never sold it.
    It was a nice little amp I could carry under the same arm holding my guitar case over to my buddies house for a kitchen jam.
    That & a little reverb pedal and you’re set.

hombre de twang likes this.
  13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Its important to compare them to the competition at the time of release, not what they're supposed to be a RI of;

The champ 600 was $200 as was the Peavey valveking royal 8.
    I think the epi valve jr combo was a bit less, and the Bugera v5s sere probably $150 around then. Crate might have had a VC series 5w, I don't recall and it's not in the magazines I still have in the basement.

These were the low power current production budget all tube stuff at the time. AC4s and Little Giants costed more. The Fender and the Epi looked the coolest. They all had Similar levels of desirability, but the Fender still fetches $200 while the V5(still in production) also commands around its "then" price. Epis with the factory mods aren't easy to get, and the royal 8s go for $150ish now.

A SF champ or Vibro Champ are only going up. If you have no use for you 600 other than a stand in for a better champ, cool. If you're patient enough to get $150+ from it cool, but its not going to even get you halfway there. SF champs run like $400 and good looking drop edge vibro champs can reasonably fetch over $800. Might be more cost effective to just keep the 600 and save for the vintage one. (I wish 13 year old me would have indefinitely borrowed my grandfathers 70s sf champ so my cousin couldn't have stolen and pawned it. Those were superior practice amps to all the same size stuff fender put out since...)

Edit:
    Local pickup only stuff seems to be the cheapest way to get vibros. Theres often stuff on ebay or reverb. Theres a Vibro Champ with giant holes in the grill and a bad power cable in CA local pickup only on reverb right now for $400. These are not unusual during some parts of the year.

14. hombre de twang

I bought it used and the pannel was missing. But I go it for 60 so it was worth it. I've tried to find a replacement, but no luck. Will build one if i end up keeping it. It's a cool little amp, but It isn't played much at this time.

15. hombre de twang

Yea the vintage practice amps are fantastic amps. I love em. I wanna snag a good one before they go any higher in price!

16. hombre de twang

Thats crazy inexpensive. On REVERB those would sell for at least 250+

17. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

The Fender Champion 600 has been called one of the 10 best blues amps .
    I had and sold two and I am now looking for another Champion 600 .

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They are not reissues except for the cosmetics. In fact there's a 3 band eq in there, it's fixed but you can remove the resistors and add pots.

Reverb is expensive, more than other places where you buy gear, besides ebay which is also expensive at times. The international exposure and the sites being well known means a bigger market, so they ask higher prices.

19. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Exact Weber size replacement for stock 6". ANOS tubes, let it stay on for ten minutes before you dig in;great amp

20. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

looking at the actual sold listings, I looks like the average is about 150.

SolidSteak likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.