Fender cabronita any good?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by eheiser, Nov 7, 2019.

1. ultra80096

ultra80096 TDPRI Member

One of these has been on my list for a long while, if I could stumble upon one reasonable. Another I'm lusting after is a Squier Custom II with P90's.

2. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I agree that many guitarists think that they need a tone control, may be afraid to buy a guitar without one - and that many (if not the majority) of them don't use the tone controls that they now have. ;)

As I looked at my own usage patterns, I found that over many years, my tone pots were always on 10 and for the most part, so were my volume pots.

It's funny - I would probably be fine without any pots at all - just a kill switch. :lol:

Of course, different people use controls differently, so some players would not be interested in a Cab; many players would, though. My Cab Thinline is one of my most favorite Teles to play and for tone.

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

It think Cabs are very cool. I would buy another one...if I could find one like what I want.

DHart likes this.
  4. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I’ve had my ‘12 black MIM for at least 5 years. No mods necessary. A nice set up. Moved the pups to the TV Jones spec. After I’d bought mine I’ve looked to guage it’s value. They are few and far between.

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

What does that mean?

6. Ted Keane

Ted Keane TDPRI Member

I love them.I have a couple and am always on the lookout for another.But $1900.00 is a little steep.Also,I'd rather have just 1 PU.

ruger9 likes this.
  7. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

63FD3352-0E04-42E1-A3CF-86495FD3989F.png
    This, as I received it used it appeared to be mint. The pups were at different heights and didn’t sound quite right. The neck pup was stuck in the body nor would it adjust. It was binding on the body and pick guard. A little sanding and clearance to the body, a heavier spring. I got adjustment and a better balance in its sound.

8. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

They have these Ltd. Ed. 2019 Cabs at a local shop. Soooo tempting...

cab 3.jpg
    cab 2.jpg
    cab 1.jpg

rze99 and Kezzell like this.
  9. Ted Keane

Ted Keane TDPRI Member

I love those in Lake Placid Blue,and the gold one.I just can't see $1900 for them.

gwjensen likes this.
  10. Ted Keane

Ted Keane TDPRI Member

Fender Limited Edition Cabronita Telecaster - Lake Placid Blue w/ Rosewood FB

Brand New
    ProAudioStar
    Brooklyn, NY, United States

$1,899.99
    Free Shipping

Fender Limited Edition Cabronita Telecaster Lake Placid Blue This is the new and limited edition Cabronita from Fender USA! This American-made Cabronita takes all of the TV Jones twang we love Cabronita guitars for and adds in some fantastic cosmetic appointments. This alder-bodied guitar has a Lake Placid Blue finish with top binding, a 22-fret dot inlaid rosewood board, and a matching headstock! Playability is top-notch with 22 vintage tall frets and a 9.5" radius. A super fun guitar that offers a tone all its own.

Buy Used
    Buy New

Follow this product to see new listings in your feed!
    Follow this Product
    Gallery
    [​IMG]

gwjensen likes this.
  11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Why?

12. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I agree, 1900 is too steep for me, when I know my MIM Cabronita is every bit the guitar that one is, and cost me only 600 used (and are going for 600-800 used right now). Even new they were 800 I think. The MIM guitars were every bit as good as the MIAs. I own both. I've also owned a Squier, which was nice but not in the same league.

gwjensen likes this.
  13. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

The fender Jim roote tele has a similar control layout just volume and selector switch. Although a mile away from the cabronita the simplicity of the controls and and the neck makes it one of my keepers in the heard

Dismalhead likes this.
  14. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I really like my Mexican La Cab. I've considered putting a mud switch on it, like on some Gretsch guitars, for when I want to get some tone control. But I haven't really needed to. The only problem I've had is I haven't been able to get the intonation just right because a couple of the saddles are all the way back with nowhere to go. I might need to swap in a different bridge.

15. ruger9

Hmm... i could be a bridge PLACEMENT issue, but I'm sure Fender uses jigs or CNC for all the hole drilling... I would think a slightly misplaced bridge would be highly unlikely? Next guess would be you've got some uneven frets... I just had my #1 re-fretted, and while he did a great job, and I love the frets, I have been having a slight intonation problem that wasn't here before... Maybe it needs a fret dress...

16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

They have excellent necks. The electronics of the MIM version are not great. The pickups are very good but a touch muddy on the bottom two strings.

I liked mine a lot. It was a Gretsch substitute when I got it on a blow out deal at Thomann but it made me want a big body Gretch even more, so I sold my cab and got one. Now I have my Gretsch I don’t long for the Cab. I like my home built Tele with P90s more than I did my Cab.

17. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Thanks for your thoughts on the intonation. I think the bridge was placed based on lighter strings. I have .011s on it now, which is probably heavier than the guitar is built for. Going down to .010s would flatten the intonation and give the saddles room. But I like the way .011s sound and feel on this guitar.

18. ruger9

That could be part of the equation. Also- string action. I tend to like higher action than most (I call it "medium high", and that can also wreak havoc on intonation... I use a 10-52 set, and the Low E and G are giving me issues, even after trimming the sale springs and pulling them almost all the way back to the bridge plate. It's close, but not perfect. The 52 low E has always been a tough one to intonate with the higher action...

Since it's my #1, I think I'm at a point where I'm just going to take it to a luthier, give him my relief and action measurements (that I WANT), and tell him to "make it work" lol. It's close enough for rock n roll now, but I'd like it to be as close to perfect as is possible...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    King Creole likes this.
  19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, at least for me there's something primal about just having a volume knob sometimes. It's like "let's see if we coax some good tones out of this the way it is". Very cool.

20. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

gwjensen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.