Fender cabronita any good?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by eheiser, Nov 7, 2019 at 7:50 AM.

1. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Yep Fender made them in black, at least the Squier ones anyway... I love the Cabs. Great guitars, love the stock pickups.

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I love the La Cabrionita Thinlines. I built one myself and love it. However, I recently pulled the neck out for a different guitar so now I am in the market for a new neck. I may step it up and get something really super. That how much I love this design.

DHart likes this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Recent prices I've seen on Reverb and EBay are about $600 - $800 or so for the solid body Classic Series MIM model I have, with a few ridiculously priced ones that'll never sell for over $1K. I did see one a few weeks ago on my local CL for $550; I thought hard about that one, but I really don't have the cash.

I traded a Korean Epiphone Sheraton at Guitar Center for mine, the cash price was $400. They had a black one too, felt just as good, but I chose the white because you can see the woodgrain underneath and it looks cool.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 9:14 AM
    scelestus likes this.
  4. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

IMG_20160130_104037178.jpg

DanDII and John E like this.
  5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The body on mine is a 2011 "Telebration" USA body. I made the Flame maple and wenge neck and pickguard and it has a stacked pot with a tone control, TV Jones Powertrons and a Callaham bridge.

Here is the "build thread"

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/cabronita-body-identification.712699/

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 8:46 PM
    cdwillis and ruger9 like this.
  6. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Thanks! I think I remember them being priced in the Classic range when new. At $800 I'm not shopping but at $400 I'd be really interested if it felt right!

7. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

Been thinking about putting one together with Warmoth parts and TV Jones Classic Plus or a Super'tron. I wanted one when they were still in production and took too long before they stopped production. Now it seems like the used prices caught up with what they were new.

8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I guess the used prices are high because they are not being made any more, are somewhat scarce, and we players LOVE them!

I think Fender would sell a bunch of them, if re-released

Are the Thinlines more rare than the solid bodies? Thinlines are my preference.

9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat TDPRI Member

Mine is a MIM white with see thru ash body and huge neck. Very cool guitar but the pickups aren't great, imo.

10. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, and honestly, that's what's kept me from buying a used one. I bought mine used, at $620 (I think they were 599 new?) but it had been heavily upgraded: new bridge, tone control, new electronics, graph tech string trees... and it was mint. So I was OK with that, those were upgrades I likely would have made anyway.

They would sell. Altho does Fender still have their "Standard" (MIM) series? Even I would pay 1900 for a Cabronita MIA "Ultra", I'd just build my own...

There's one on reverb right now that'd I'd snag- gorgeous- but I just dropped almost 2K on a bucket list amp...

https://reverb.com/item/28952448-fe...4-fender-classic-cabronita-telecaster-thinlin

11. joy-z

joy-z TDPRI Member

I think the.thinlines sold for $800 new, which would probably be $900-1000 if they sold them new today. Part of the classic player line, so better than standard MIM.

12. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I think the lack of a tone control doomed the Cabronita, it's not the 80s anymore.
    The vast majority of guitarists will not consider a guitar without a tone control.

13. redfive

redfive TDPRI Member

I just picked up a 2011 Telebration Cabronita last night via trade.

I need to make some pick-up adjustments, but I'm digging it so far. Did you buy one of aftermarket wiring harness with the stack-tone pots or make your own? If you bought an after-market one which maker? thx!

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat TDPRI Member

I agree...

15. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

That may be true but about 3/4 of them or more just leave the tone control cranked up all the way all the time anyway.

Cabronitas are very nice guitars. I have a surf green one that I installed a Marc Rutters bridge and saddles on and a TV Jones Magnatron pickup in the bridge. I have a Gretsch Hi-Lo tron pickup I want to try in the neck position too. Although the standard pickups are not bad at all if height adjusted properly. I paid $400 for mine when they were being blown out. Well worth the money.

DHart, ruger9 and SixStringSlinger like this.
  16. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Which is funny, because the stereotype (if there is one) is of guitarists leaving their tone controls on 10 and never touching them.

DHart and ruger9 like this.
  17. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

95% of the time, my tone control is on 10. But then I choose my pickups "wisely", to give me what I want when vol and tone are on 10. While my Cab has a tone control, I only use it if I'm going for more warm/jazzy tones on the neck pickup, and that's only at home.

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat TDPRI Member

With me it depends on the guitar and the venue, but with Teles I almost always roll the tone off when the bridge pickup is on by itself.

19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I would never buy a wire harness for a guitar, it's just a few wires. I used the metal concentric knobs for a jazz bass.

redfive likes this.
  20. eheiser

eheiser TDPRI Member

Typically around the 5-600 euro range.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.