Fender cabronita any good?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by eheiser, Nov 7, 2019 at 7:50 AM.

1. eheiser

eheiser TDPRI Member

I'm seeing these mex fender cabronitas pop up on second hand sites quite a lot these days... are these any good? Anything they got going over a regular Tele?

Paulie_Boy and Greggorios like this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Yes, they’re very good...nice necks, balanced weight, good looks and great tone...

I’d probably change the pickups, not because they’re bad—they’re really good—but because I prefer P-90s...JHMO

3. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

They were featured in Tonequest mag a couple years ago.Even the Squier versions got high marks.

Paulie_Boy and Greggorios like this.
  4. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Viva La Cabronita !

stepvan, Paulie_Boy and Greggorios like this.
  5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a MIM Cabronita. It's got my favorite neck out of all of my guitars - a slightly chunkier version of a Modern C. Controls are as simple as they can be - just a volume knob and a pickup selector switch. And the pickup tones are great IMO. I originally bought it thinking I was going to replace them, and then I watched a video where a guy A/B'd the stock Fidelitrons with TV Jones, and to my ears there just wasn't enough of a difference to justify the cost of swapping them. Although I got it like five years ago for relatively cheap, it's easily one of my favorite guitars.

It seems like people either love them or hate them, and it's primarily the lack of tone controls that rankles them. Personally I love the simplicity.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    Fretting out, stepvan, ruger9 and 3 others like this.
  6. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I have two Cabs and had a couple of others that I should have kept. Great necks that are a bit more full than Standard Teles. No fret issues on any of them.

The Fidelitrons that come as standard are rather height sensitive but sound really good. Sort of jangly clean and dirty with a dose of gain.

Some early owners had issues with the strings not lining up with pup polepieces. Doesn't affect the tone and an aftermarket hipshot bridge will fix it if you're bothered.

Overall pretty decent guitars if you want something a bit different.

Paulie_Boy likes this.
  7. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

eheiser and Paulie_Boy like this.
  8. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Meister

I have both the thinline and the solid body. I added a concentric knob because it doesn't come with tone control. Unlike some, I love the FedeliTron (spelling?) pickups. TVJ's are always an option, but I believe that Fender got it right. I bought mine from Amazon a few years ago for around $400 each. I guess they weren't selling well. Anyway, I enjoy them. They're a fun twist on 6120 marries Tele. (I sanded the poly coated necks. Too sticky for my taste)

9. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I think they're really cool but whenever I look at them they seem to have appreciated from a few years ago and it keeps me from shopping. What kinds of prices are you finding in your search?

10. The Little Guy

The Little Guy Tele-Meister

I’ve got a thin line and it’s by far my favorite electric. The controls won me over—I suffer from analysis paralysis. I love the neck as well. I’m playing more acoustic now, but my electric rig is still setup for me to be able to grab and go with my Cabronita.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

You should at least try one. I really like mine- it has a thing all of it's own.…..

ricardo1912 likes this.
  12. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Here in the UK decent used Cabronitas are selling for about what they cost new. They were cheap for a long time but now they seem to be quite sought after. Probably not helped by the fact that they weren't in production very long.

13. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve got a squier modified vintage telecaster cabronita w bigsby. Genuinely great guitar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kLyon likes this.
  14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Absolutely LOVE my Cab Thinline! The Fideli'trons sound very good, EXTRA good to my ears by switching to a volume pot with higher resistance! (I have an 870k volume pot in mine and absolutely love the tones.)

Just because I could, I tried a set of HS FIlter'trons in this guitar and immediately went back to the Fideli'trons - yes, the Fideli'trons sound that good - brighter than HS Filter'trons, too.

I don't miss having a tone pot for a second. The sounds are so good without it.

Knowing what I know now about the Cab Thinline, I'd buy another one in the bat of an eye... if I lost the one I have now.

I bought mine as a "new" take-off, from Stratosphere, and added a Fender rosewood neck.

Gold... of the Shoreline variety!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 11:57 PM
    middy, rze99, Kreepy and 4 others like this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have one, and I like it a lot.
    It a black 2011 US made limited run model
    I modded it a lot, too.
    Great guitar!

17. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine. It's an MIM, and it's every bit the guitar my MIA is.

I was never a fan of any kind of Filtertron pickup, so I put TV Jones T-90s in mine.

(mine was also modded to have a tone control, and moved the selector switch to the upper bout, Am.Std. bridge...BUT: what I LOVE -besides the tone with the T90s- is the NECK. Just as said above, it's a slightly chunkier version of a Modern C. It's awesome.)

I'm currently waiting on a set of TV Jones T-Armonds to try in it...

Cabronita T90.jpg

cdwillis and Telecaster88 like this.
  18. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Another fantastic instrument to consider, if you see one on the market, is the Tele '69 Thinline.

As I have many times, I bought the stripped-down all-mahogany body "new" as a Squier Thinline '69 take-off, from Stratosphere, and added the Fender MIJ Tele neck and electronics/pickups/pick guard of my choosing.

The Cabronita Thinline and '69 Thinline Teles are lightweight, sound and play great, very modestly priced, and are among my favorite Teles of the 14 that I have.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a Tele that plays as well as and sounds as good as any Tele out there.

[​IMG]

Telecaster88 and jimash like this.
  19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Number One...

18582021_10155207588709651_9214193509749405702_n.jpg

Kreepy, Chief101, Deeve and 3 others like this.
  20. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I LOVE this guitar, I saw this picture several months ago... and it has me gassing for a black Cabronita... but did Fender make them in back? I thought it was just burst, shoreline gold, and the trans white (whitewash) color? Or maybe that was just the thinline Cabs?

I've been looking for someone selling a thinline cab BODY so I can paint it black, but no luck so far... don't want to spend the $ on a Warmoth if I don't have to...

And this one would be getting TV Jones Duo-Trons.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.