Fender Bullets (Strings)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Brett Fuzz, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Having been an Ernie B fan since the 70s I decided I'd live dangerously, have a change & 'Bite The Bullet' so to speak.

Not bad strings (9s).

I especially like the bullet ends as they don't get stuck like many of the round ends can.

They pack them in a weird way though. :confused::)

2. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

they just started packing two in an envelope recently, the last time I bought my 100 bucks worth they were like that and I assume thats what you are talking about. I just take the two strings in my two hands and push them against each other and the lighter one bends against the thicker one, no problem identifying them without tools even in dim light.

I like the bullets because I decided a long time ago that they would have more contact in the ferrules on a tele and in the block on a strat and I have just stuck with it 100 bucks worth at a time for like about twenty years now. I should get a free set one of these days, right?

3. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

I use the 3150L on my strats
    These strings are nickel which greatly reduces fret and saddle wear and they sound good. If you are using stainless steel strings you are wearing those two critical guitar components down and they will eventually have to be replaced. Saddles are easy to replace fret wire can be costly as that type of work is best left to the experts which with it comes an added cost to the player.

So I (and many others) play nickel.

Bullet end? If you are playing a Stratocaster with a tremolo bridge the bullets are designed to fit into the string receivers in the trem block and in effect add more mass to the tremolo block which adds and aids the transfer of tone to the guitar as a whole.

Those two beneficial features alone convinced me to give these an honest try and over time (I've been using these for years) have proven to me to be the optimal string for the Stratocaster.

These are durable. Do they last? Well, yes they do. I rotate guitars on the gigs so I would say that if I was using the strat exclusively and playing it as much as I do through the week - I end up changing them out every 2 to 3 weeks and I'm playing 4 nights per week not including rehearsal or noodling around and I put them through a rigorous workout.

What would that equate to in hours? Hmmm... 60 to 80 hours perhaps, maybe a bit more. Add to that sweat, natural oils, oxidation, and that I don't use cleaners or chems on the strings, although I do wipe them down after a playing with a dry shop towel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.