1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Bullet Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by jays0n, Jun 18, 2009.

1. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I have seen some USA Fender Bullets for sale recently, some sellers still stating that the necks on these are left over 60's & 70's telecaster necks, for the record they are not left over 60's or 70's necks. The rosewood versions have a variety of profiles, that possibly lends credence to the 60's neck argument, as there is also info available that the necks are hand finished, I do not think any Bullet necks were hand finished to the degree that Fender necks were in the earlier years, machine tooling was standard by that time & minimal hand finishing would have been used on the Bullet necks.

One really big giveaway that is often missed, is the lack of a 21st dot marker on the Bullet models with a rosewood fretboard, the maple versions did have a 21st dot marker, also those maple necks were all machined to the same slim profile.

The necks often talked about as 60's leftovers are the type that appear on the first USA Fender Bullet model with the telecaster style body, these were available with rosewood fretboards or one piece maple necks, the rosewood type, did not have a skunk stripe truss rod infill, the maple versions had a walnut skunk stripe.

To add to the confusion, the 2nd version USA Fender Bullet with the strat shaped bodies built in 1982/1983, all had maple necks that had a maple skunk stripe, this was introduced by Fender to stop comparisons to their higher end telecaster models, some necks with the walnut skunk found their way onto the 2nd version Bullet, due to the transition period. But if you see ever see a 2nd version USA Fender Bullet with a rosewood fretboard, it is highly likely that it has had another neck added.

The necks are exactly the same as a telecaster neck, using the same wood, made on the same machines by the same people, with the same Fender quality control.

USA Fender Bullet left no 21st dot marker vs 1960's Fender Telecaster right with 21st dot marker.

IMG_28673.jpg 1960 telecaster 2.jpg

2. Traveldude

Traveldude NEW MEMBER!

Can someone give me a ballpark value of my Fender Bullet H2? It's an E1 serial number made in the USA and is in excellent condition. IMG_7654.JPG

3. tomaso

tomaso NEW MEMBER!

Hi, I recently bought this US Bullet S3 (serial E1) but I never tried the other models (H1,H2,S2...)
    In your opinion, which one is the best bullet model ?

original.jpg

tensleep likes this.
  4. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Afflicted

IMHO the H1 in my bedroom is the best one.

5. cuscus

I would say it depends on what you are using the guitar for, the S3 & H2 are more versatile, with lots of sound variations, but the S2 & the first model Bullets are also very telecaster & proper no nonsense workhorse guitars, the H1 is like a grunge rocker, so hard to choose a best model.

6. cuscus

Hello Traveldude, PM me.

7. tomaso

tomaso NEW MEMBER!

Hi, that's right, I can play several kinds of music with this S3
    It's a great guitar, I like this tele/strat combo.
    I was also wondering about its price. How much you would have paid for it ?

8. cuscus

tomaso / Traveldude , valuation of any 2nd hand or vintage guitar is always subjective & based on how much anyone is willing to pay at the time.

I paid £248 GBP ( $315 USD ) including shipping from the USA for my S3 back in 2007, so approximately £200 GBP ( $ 254 ) for the guitar, from the following info on prices you will see that Bullet prices have continued to rise.

I keep an eye on Bullet sales & they fluctuate a lot, the prices are also vary between Europe the UK & the USA, the early telecaster shape bullets continue to be the most sought after bullets & the standard type with the metal guard seem to be more popular than the Deluxe models, which is strange because the Bullet Deluxe is a better guitar.

The 2nd version strat shaped USA Bullet is more popular in the USA than the 1st version telecaster type, but in the UK & Europe it seems to be the other way around with the 1st version telecaster type being more popular than the strat type.

There are still bidding wars on ebay that place a false value on what is the average price & those Bullets with the red bobbin pickups still command a much higher price than those with the standard Fender black plastic bobbin pickups, both pickups sound identical, so I don't really know why this is - perhaps its the fact the red bobbins are rare in the Bullet & were found in the Dan Smith Strats from the same era, perhaps people think they are the X1 hotter wound pickups from the Dan Smith strats, the USA Bullets from that era had the same hardware & electrics as the telecasters & stratocasters manufactured at Fender's Fullerton factory, including the Dan Smith strats, so the mind boggles ????

Based on the info I have for 2016/17, UK & USA ebay sales of the 1st version telecaster USA Bullet vary between £350 - £650 GBP ( $445 - $830 USD )

Prices for the 2nd version USA Bullet for 2016/17, are mostly US sales & vary between $399 - $800 ( The 800 dollar bullets were red bobbin pick up guitars in mint condition & big bidding wars on ebay ), middle ground price is $4 - $500 USD.

Another thing to bare in mind, is that there are still a lot of USA Fender Bullets being relisted on ebay, some have been doing the rounds for years, obviously the asking price for those guitars is way too high & the reason why they are still there month on month, year on year.

Prices are also dependant on originality & overall condition, Reverb is also a good place to look online & they supply a price guide based on sales on the site, follow this link - https://reverb.com/uk/price-guide?query=Fender+Bullet

9. Noisegate

Noisegate NEW MEMBER!

Here's my 1984 MIJ Squier Bullet - All original - Bought it in 1986 for $65 bucks from a guy who told me "ah, it's good for a rhythm guitar". Little did he know... Bullet.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    horax likes this.
  10. srs1972

srs1972 TDPRI Member

Lovely Bullet Sir. Just like mine. A nice little Marshall behind it too.
    Sweet.

11. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Just picked this up today for $35...a 2000 Bullet Strat. It's thin bodied and a hard tail top loader....wish it had a trem and was full bodied, but it was $35.

Came with a fender gig bag, too.

I'll probably do a finish on this and make a surf green burst into white or something.

Really needs a good cleaning.

IMG_3503.JPG IMG_3504.JPG

12. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Never ever ever should have sold this beauty:

sparkleback.jpeg sparklefront.jpeg sparklebody.jpg

13. Mrmoustache

Mrmoustache TDPRI Member

Hello all.

Ive been admiring the Fender Bullet guitars for a while now but every time I see one for sale things somehow never work out.
    Anyway Ive decided Im going to 3D print the 81 deluxe tele body style, The body anyway.
    I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to take some measurements for me.
    Or just take a nice frontal photo of the body with a ruler beside it. I've been trying to do a template but Im not sure I have things to the proper scale.
    Hope someone can help me out. Some awesome guitars on here. Lots of indpiration
    Thanks

14. Weeman333

Weeman333 TDPRI Member

Vintage bridge? That's cool.

15. uprange

uprange TDPRI Member

Speaking of the bridge, I have a question: I have one of the last year USA-made S2 bullets. When I got it, the bridge was pretty shot, so I replaced it with a Fender Stratocaster hardtail bridge, which was a perfect fit. I tried to sell it a few years back and the buyer returned it saying that it had the wrong bridge and the spacing was wrong.

So is the Strat hardtail bridge the wrong one for a USA bullet?

16. cuscus

Not all Fenders have the same string spacing, here is a pic of the bridge you need, part No 0060068000 it has Fender stamped saddles which the USA Bullet did not have, but it is the correct string spacing & has the correct 3 screw holes to mount the bridge.

USA Bullet Deluxe & 2nd generation strat shape S2, S3, H2 USA Bullet string spacing : 2 3/16 inch or 56 mm

Standard tele shape USA Bullet string spacing on the alloy guard saddles & the two 2nd generation strat shaped models The Bullet & The Bullet H1 : 2 5/32 inch or 55 mm

You will find original hard tail USA Bullet bridges on ebay & reverb, it is exactly the same hard tail bridge as used on the standard hardtail strat from the same era, including the Dan Smith strat.

DSCN2412.JPG

17. zela

zela TDPRI Member

Squire are really nice guitars. Very cool colors.

18. akmakas

akmakas NEW MEMBER!

Hello nice guys im George and here my lovely fender bullet 1981.
    I bought it for only 60 bucks (50 Euro) from antique shop !!!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Michael A. and Indy-Tele like this.
  19. cuscus

Welcome to the club "akmakas" That is a steal at 50 Euro, the neck alone on this version can go for 280 Euro & more, a very good find in an antique shop.

20. dolfer

dolfer TDPRI Member

Here's a few pics of my 1982. I'm taking it in today for a full tuneup! I'll post some better shots once she's all in working order and cleaned up.

Lkuh+0vBQCavhr%rtkWoCQ.jpg Cb%NmEP8Ql+ZoxdXZE+eqg.jpg ExwebCEsRP6GLEY8EdEn1w.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.