1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Broadcaster 2020

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sugarcool6, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If I was in the market for a $2000 Tele, it would definitely be at or near the top of my list.

2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

It looks like a cool guitar. I'm glad that Fender is calling it a Broadcaster 2020 since, with all of the changes from original 1950's models, it really isn't a reissue...

3. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

Wow BramptonRob 1958 that looks so much like mine and our ages are the same except I was born in DEC 1957 .Waiting for .003UF capacitor since we have electric basses. Just got email from owner of Swart amps on Sunday agreed not to mention price. Saved over$300.Had one about 11 years ago a while keeping original 5 watt Blackstar

4. ZoomP

ZoomP TDPRI Member

I've actually posted this under the Owner's group section, but decided to post it here for the benefits of others:

Hi there! new here! Mainly a Strat guy so this is the fourth T style guitar I owned.

Anyway, this is actually my second piece as I had problem with my first one. When I first tested the guitar at the store, somehow the neck pickup was softer and hollow sounding and the bridge pickup was extremely bright. Initially thought I just needed to adjust the pickup heights to compensate, so I took it home thinking what would go wrong with a brand new guitar (I literally unboxed it at the shop!).

Went back home, straightened the neck a bit (gotta admit the first piece was better setup than the second piece) and played with the pickup heights. I had to jack the neck pickup real high while keeping the bridge low. Still perplexed by the sound, I opened up the control cavity to check the wiring. Looks ok... when I put it back, somehow the tone and volume came back on the neck pickup but I get this weird cracking sound coming out from the amp when I strummed hard! After playing it for maybe 10 mins and the neck pickup revert back to sounding thin and hollow again!

I took it back to the shop the next day, thinking it might be a cold solder joint. When it was at the store, the volume came back but nevertheless, they checked through the solder joints and added some solder for better contacts. While putting the Pickguard back, the tech pressed down the neck pickup, that's when we realised it was kinda "shorting" out and volume would drop when you pressed down the pickup. He added some solder to the neck pickup and that seems to solve the issue.

Took it home and I tested it further, but the neck pickup continued to drop in volume intermittently. Since this is a brand new purchase, I opted to exchange for another piece.

The new piece is just as nice!!! Watch out for those darn slotted screws!!! It's almost impossible not to slip when tightening and loosening!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

rze99 likes this.
  5. BlueTele

BlueTele TDPRI Member

Wow...that is quite heavy for a Tele/Broadcaster/Esquire. Did they make the guitar with an Alder body - I can't imagine they would. All of the vintage Teles of the '50's and a good part of the '60s - and onward, were/are ash bodies. The general rule for a Tele is "the lighter the better" for sustain/resonance. A finished Tele with an ash body, properly dried for years, should weigh between 6 lbs 10 oz (might be a bit less) to about 7 lbs "even." A Tele weighing over 7 lbs might still be ash if it is say, 7 lbs 4 oz, but after that, I am thinking "has to be Alder with that weight, or I have a bad piece of ash that was not fully dried before the build."

6. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

Date stamp is cool. I would have exchanged it too...you gave it every chance.

7. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Hey I

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.