Fender brings back The Electric XII !!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marquee Moon, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

^^^^Known affectionately as "Reverse Ric" stringing... my 330-12 is strung this way.

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I've never played one, but just love the look- the body/headstock/simple controls. Bet it plays like a dream
    Here is Johnny Winter at Woodstock, playing slide on one, strung as a 6- string.
    Long live Johnny!
    maxresdefault.jpg

Kezzell, Fretting out and smartsoul72 like this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

If i hadn't got my Ric 12, I'd be very interested in this.

4. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Anyone know where these are made? USA, Mexico, overseas?

I glanced at their site but didn't see any obvious indications...

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Great, now bring back a proper, fully hollow Coronado II with DeArmonds :mad::)

Twang Deluxe and bender66 like this.
  6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Havre previously read MiM

Fretting out likes this.
  7. Uncle_Battuh

Uncle_Battuh TDPRI Member

Is it me or the upper horn has a sharper end than the original one ?

8. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

The body appears to be identical, but the pickguard is smaller, controls and bridge placement are different. Shorter scale length?

fender XII sidebyside.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Had one in the 60's! Oly white.

10. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

According to Fender, the scale length is 25.5". The pickguard could be smaller, but that could also be an illusion caused by the darker color of the new one.

Apparently the original controls switched between neck - neck and bridge series - neck and bridge parallel - bridge (not sure about the order). The new one is your typical 3-way toggle; no idea if the combined position is series or parallel.

11. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

It's not an optical illusion; the bridge is clearly closer to the neck, and the pickups are closer together too. Not sure how that happens if it actually is a 25.5" scale. Fender specs say it's a 25.5", but they've been careless about that before.

(The old Strat XIIs were a 24.75" scale.)

Chuckster likes this.
  12. Kezzell

Kezzell TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I like the one Johnny Winter plays at woodstock.

13. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I got tired of waiting and built mine last year.

IMG_6973.jpg

14. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Played a new Electric XII today. I saw Fender's e-mail blast this morning and quickly found out they had two at my local GC, one in blue and the other in white. I love 12 string electrics and currently I'm playing a Rickenbacker 360, which is a great guitar but I'm not completely loyal to it. I have admired the rich chimey tone of the original Electric XII from the 60s on many recordings and always wished Fender would reissue it . . . so when they did I wasted no time in checking it out.

The verdict? It is a good guitar. How good? Hard to say - mostly because the setup of the guitars I tried was laughably bad. Like GCs setup consisted of tuning it up and hanging it on the wall. The intonation was wildly off at the 12th fret. Indeed in some cases the lower string would be sharp and the octave string would be flat, or vice versa. It sounded decent on the first 2-3 frets, but after that, nope. On the good side, however, this should be fixable because the bridge allows separate intonation adjustment for each string. Also, there was a little too much relief in the neck and the action was a little too high, which is a real killer when playing a 12 string with all that tension on the strings. I find very low action essential to comfort on an electric 12, even at the expense of a little fret buzz. I can't exactly blame GC for not adjusting the neck, however, because the truss rod adjustment is at the heel end of this neck for some reason - you need to remove the neck to fix it. I will say I saw nothing about the neck or frets that made me think lower action would not be achievable with proper setup.

Also the amp I was testing it with, an Egnater four channel head into an old Peavy 4x12, wasn't ideal - it was super middy and kind of 2-D sounding.

Looking past those setup issues, the guitar seemed pretty good overall. The neck is ALL different from a Rick neck - wider, flatter, longer scale, and much thicker. In my book, the neck was pretty chunky - which might be favored by many - but for whatever reason I prefer thinner necks. Fat necks make my hands tired. The width was a little much for me as well, mostly because I'm used to the Rick - where the string courses are so close together sometimes I forget I'm playing two strings at once.

Overall build quality seemed fine, nothing spectacular, probably typical MIM quality. I didn't find the bright chrome of the hardware particularly appealing. The poly finish looked nice. These are very pretty guitars. The Lake Placid Blue had some sparkle and the Olympic White was slightly pearly. I really like the look of the sparkly blue with the pearl pickguard but for the long run I prefer neutral color guitars and would have probably chosen the white.

Tone - as far as I could tell given that it could not play in tune, was nice. The neck pickup was thick and middy with some chime and the bridge pickup was quite bright and twangy. My favorite position was middle. The scooped sound from the phasing effects suited the 12 string well - it added some dimension and jangle.

I should add the body is a pretty large and thick plank of alder and the guitar was heavy. I didn't have a scale on me that day but it definitely was more than 8 lbs, probably in the range of 9 lbs. Both samples weighed about the same.

For awhile I considered buying the guitar and taking it home just so I could set it up right and really check it out. After all (as the salesman reminded me) GC allows returns for 45 days.

But in the end I decided my Rick 360-12 suits me just fine, and I could see no reason to prefer the new Fender. In terms of craftsmanship the Rick is clearly on a whole different level. That isn't to speak badly about the Electric XII - the different design of the Rick just demands greater attention to detail and refinement - which you pay for. Both are good instruments and the result is that the Electric XII might be a great value, even at $999. And YMMV -- particularly if you want an electric 12 string but hate skinny necks, and want a new one for less than half the price of a Rick, the new Electric XII might be exactly what you want!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  15. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Thanks for the detailed description @JDB2. Since I'm not lucky enough to own a 12 string Rick, I am thoroughly interested in one of these!

JDB2 likes this.
  16. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

12's are tricky - they can go from crap to great with a proper setup. I've got a RIC 360-12 - but if I didn't I'd be seriously checking out a Fender XII. I think $999 is a fair price.

JDB2 likes this.
  17. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

How will be the resale value of the Alternate Reality Electric XII?

Do you think that it would be possible to find a used one for $ 600 in a year or two?

What do you think?

18. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you get one, please let us know how it compares to the Danelectro. :)

19. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Boy do I hope so!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.