Fender Bridge Question (3 hole on body drilled for 4)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by illinismitty, Jan 17, 2020.

1. illinismitty

illinismitty TDPRI Member

Hey guys,

Working on a build. You can see the body is drilled for 4 hole. North of the string through. I ordered at Fender American SRS tele bridge (part 0990807100 without looking at the specs. It has three hole south of the string through. Neck will be 21 fret standard fender scale

Can I just line up the string through holes, and drill for the 3 holes, or will that screw things up?

[​IMG]

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That will screw things up, Smitty.

The body through holes are further down the body (desirable) and further apart (desirable) than the bridge you ordered can accommodate. If you try to use those holes, install the pickup then try to drill new mount holes, you'll find for one, the pickup doesn't align with the pickup rout.

If you go through all the posts here over the decades, you'll see your body is drilled "right" for all the custom stuff almost everyone likes to do. The "fender modern" bridge, on the other hand, should be returned because its uses are limited to a discrete number of USA Fender models - and nothing else, really. Take it from someone who wouldn't take no for an answer, and tried all this mismatch things - this is one that won't go.

Congrats on that gorgeous body, btw. Not everyone here likes the figured cap on a T body, but I sure do - I've done a dozen and a half of 'em and yours has tons of potential.

Peckhammer and Vibrolux59 like this.
  3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Return the bridge and buy the correct one for the holes in the body. The string through holes are in a different place not just the screw holes.

boris bubbanov and slauson slim like this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yup. What they said. I just replaced 4 hole with 3 (top load, so no string through holes to worry about), and besides the string through issue, the 4 holes peek out at the back of the plate. won't work for you at all. My guitar isn't pretty like that, so I don't care.

5. illinismitty

It's what I thought. Do you or anyone else know which fender part number is the modern string through bridge? I found Part number 0053354000. Seems cheap for a bridge, is it any good? I want to stick to fender brand because that's what it is drilled for.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Your choice, your guitar.
    The holes for a 4 screw vintage style bridge fits many bridges, it is not drilled for a Fender brand only bridge.
    But, I would not use a 6 saddle bridge on a Telecaster, I prefer a Wilkinson (my favorite) for about $20 or Callaham if I wanted an expensive one as they both have compensated brass saddles.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B6RDCYQ/?tag=tdpri-20

https://www.callahamguitars.com/tele_bridge_vintageTmodel_catalog.htm

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Yes, it's good. I'm very happy with mine.

9. illinismitty

I know it's a debate on vintage 3 saddle vs 6 saddle. I just prefer 6 saddle. This build is more of a "what would have I have fender build me if I could afford custom shop"

10. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I recently had the same conundrum that you are having now. I received similar advice as the other folks have given above. And despite my ability to modify anything and chase rabbits down the deepest holes, I ended up buying a four hole vintage bridge instead of the three hole 6 saddle bridge I wanted to use. All the other possibilities were ridiculous after considering the work that would have been required to modify the guitar body — especially drilling a second set of string-through holes.

If you have to have a modern three hole 6 saddle bridge, you might be better off buying a body that is drilled for it. You can easily sell the body you currently have to finance the replacement. That said, the figured guitar body you have is beautiful. I hope you decide to keep it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  11. illinismitty

I am keeping it. As much as I think I did my homework, I whiffed on this one. I should have asked the builder for the part number of the compatible bridges for the holes. I already ordered the correct bridge. I don't want to send the body back and wait for another one. It's not that big of difference for me. For others maybe - but this will be night and day better than the tele I have right now (Korean made Washburn Lyons from the 90's. The rest of my collection is great, I just want a decent tele, but one that hits all the check marks for what I want (can't seem to find in fender models).

Dan German likes this.
  12. Peckhammer

Solid reasoning there. I really like the 6 saddle bridges, but I had strats before teles. I have several deluxes, all have 6 saddle modern bridges. Callaham, and Fender. I find them easier to intonate, but 3 saddle bridges with compensated saddles really work great. I personally like the Rutters bridges.

13. illinismitty

I agree. I play more chords, so those three saddles are tricky to intonate - at least for me. Plus I am tweaker on string heights. I like to control the height of each string.

I have the 6 saddle four hole on the way. The guy that sold me the 3 hole 6 saddle said I could keep it (Reverb), but I am going to still send it back so he can resell. I can't use it, because I probably will not be doing another tele build. I am trying to keep this as "Fendery" as possible, which is why I am not looking at other hardware. Plus I don't want to deal with alignment being slightly off. The neck and body are drilled and fitting for Fender.

14. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Oh, absolutely! I have a strong preference for three saddle bridges, but if was building up a body that looked like that, I would just put on a good bridge that fit properly, and enjoy the hell out of it.

15. Peckhammer

You have a link? I could use one of those — especially if the string spacing is under 2 1/8”

16. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

FWIW, Fender use Gotoh GTC201 6 saddle, 4 hole vintage-fixing bridges on the Deluxe Series (Nashville and Thinline) Teles.
    Fender p/n 7708384000 but not generally available aftermarket.
    Warmoth list the GTC201 for around $40.

17. illinismitty

Another question (dang you guys are helpful)

The nut is going to be 42mm on the neck. Too late to change.

So the MIM modern bridge (0053354000) has a string spread of 2.222 inches. Gotoh GTC202 bridge that has a string spread dimensions of 2.1250 (54mm) . Will either work? If so, I may go with the Gotoh.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.