Fender Brad Paisley Signature Model Pickups VS Seymour Duncan Le Brea Pickups

Delta Blues

Tele-Afflicted
Okay, a lil' background first. I’ve owned two Brad Paisley signature model silver sparkle telecasters. The pickups in them were the factory Fender custom-wound '64 Tele bridge pickup and Twisted Tele neck pickup. These pickups through a Deluxe Reverb with a WGS Veteran 30 installed, were the best Tele pickups I’ve ever had or tried.

My question for anybody that has tried or owned both sets is; How do the Fender custom-wound '64 Tele bridge pickup and Twisted Tele neck pickup compare to the Seymour Duncan Brad Paisley signature Le Brea set? The custom-wound '64 Tele bridge pickup and Twisted Tele neck pickup aren’t readily available to buy, so I’m hoping the Le Brea set will be close enough for government work. The Stratosphere used to part out the BP teles and sell the Fender pickups. But they haven’t had any in stock in a long time. That leaves the Le Brea as my only option. Other considerations are the Antiquity II's and the Pure Vintage '64 set.

I’m getting ready to customize a TL62B to my specs and need a set of pickups to replace the stock garbage (to my ears) ceramic MIJ pickups. Once I get the electronics finished, it’ll be shipped to Glaser for a B Bender install, and maybe Kenny Vaughn's/Glaser's pickup phase mod with the hidden mini pot that controls how out of phase the pickups are.

Attachments

• 9A3C9C03-BE30-4E58-99A9-CC24DC52BC6A.jpeg
    9A3C9C03-BE30-4E58-99A9-CC24DC52BC6A.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 28
  • F699C673-DC93-416D-BA89-71D9320ED95E.jpeg
    F699C673-DC93-416D-BA89-71D9320ED95E.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 27

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
If SD stays true to form. The La Brea neck pickup will have a plated brass cover. As does the rest of the covered Tele neck pickups from SD.

Unless that's changed for this model. Other than the A2 magnets and a 7.55k output. The web site doesn't give that info.

Could be an apples to oranges comparison there.

You might be better off with the Fender PV64 set and add a Twisted Tele neck. They do sell those separate. That might get you closer to the BP set.

Or, wait until a BP set becomes available.

Delta Blues

Tele-Afflicted
If SD stays true to form. The La Brea neck pickup will have a plated brass cover. As does the rest of the covered Tele neck pickups from SD.

Unless that's changed for this model. Other than the A2 magnets and a 7.55k output. The web site doesn't give that info.

You might be better off with the Fender PV64 set and add a Twisted Tele neck. They do sell those separate. That might get you closer to the BP set.

I’ve considered buying the PV64 bridge and pairing it with the Twisted Tele neck like you mentioned. However, after doing research, it seems to me that there will possibly be a polarity issue between the two. I’m guessing that’s the reason why the 64 bridge on the Paisley guitar is “custom wound”. Might just be a simple fix like swapping two wires, but I need to research it more.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
They're both Fender pickups. Phasing might not be an issue. Easy to fix if it is.

Polarity can be changed with a neodymium magnet. Another easy fix.

scotabilly

Tele-Meister
I installed the Seymour Duncan La Brea pickups in my 1978 Telecaster that had stock pickups. After playing them for a while, I can say that I like them more than stock (pretty easy call, there) but they seem a little tame to me. I have other Telecasters with various pickups (Tone Specific, Tom Short, Fralin, Peter Florence Voodoo, Fender Nocaster) and I find these not in that league, really. I also owned an all stock 1968 Telecaster, and these don't sound as good as they did either. The La Breas don't sound bad, like the stock pickups, they're just not very inspiring. I'll probably replace them.

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's

Not all of SDs Tele neck pups have a pbc. His Tele Antiquity II np is nickel silver.

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
Just that model? Or did SD change the whole lineup?

The only info on any site I looked at just says "covered" for the Ant II.

I've owned 2 of the Ant II Tele neck pups. Both were ns. One still resides in my 60s partscaster. I know his regular vintage Tele np has the brass cover & I think the Ant I does, also. That's all the experience I have with SD Tele neck pups.

If you have any questions about the SD pup lineup, feel free to email SD customer service. They have always been very prompt with any inquiries.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The Ant II is probably the most "modern" vintage style offering they have. Maybe the reason for the NS cover?

Wonder if the 5/2 has a NS cover?

I guess if I were interested in a SD neck pickup. I'd contact them first. Was always under the impression that they all had plated covers.

At this point I'm in the Cavalier Lion camp for standard looking Tele neck pickups.

802dap7777

TDPRI Member
Okay, a lil' background first. I’ve owned two Brad Paisley signature model silver sparkle telecasters. The pickups in them were the factory Fender custom-wound '64 Tele bridge pickup and Twisted Tele neck pickup. These pickups through a Deluxe Reverb with a WGS Veteran 30 installed, were the best Tele pickups I’ve ever had or tried.

My question for anybody that has tried or owned both sets is; How do the Fender custom-wound '64 Tele bridge pickup and Twisted Tele neck pickup compare to the Seymour Duncan Brad Paisley signature Le Brea set? The custom-wound '64 Tele bridge pickup and Twisted Tele neck pickup aren’t readily available to buy, so I’m hoping the Le Brea set will be close enough for government work. The Stratosphere used to part out the BP teles and sell the Fender pickups. But they haven’t had any in stock in a long time. That leaves the Le Brea as my only option. Other considerations are the Antiquity II's and the Pure Vintage '64 set.

I’m getting ready to customize a TL62B to my specs and need a set of pickups to replace the stock garbage (to my ears) ceramic MIJ pickups. Once I get the electronics finished, it’ll be shipped to Glaser for a B Bender install, and maybe Kenny Vaughn's/Glaser's pickup phase mod with the hidden mini pot that controls how out of phase the pickups are.
I'm in similar boat to DeltaBlues. Have my own 1985 MIJ TL62B - candidate for pickup replacement. Wondering if pots should be swapped out as well. Hoping his original post gets even more responses.

Attachments

• Tony.Tele.jpg
    Tony.Tele.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 13

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
The Ant II is probably the most "modern" vintage style offering they have. Maybe the reason for the NS cover?

Wonder if the 5/2 has a NS cover?

I guess if I were interested in a SD neck pickup. I'd contact them first. Was always under the impression that they all had plated covers.

At this point I'm in the Cavalier Lion camp for standard looking Tele neck pickups.

Rob winds a fine pup. His regular LK is a great choice. :)

Witcher

Tele-Meister

sorry if this is a little late, but sonically they're quite different. the 64 is snappier and has more presence, while the La Brea is bigger, and warmer. I couldn't tell you what the values are though.