1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Brad Paisley Esquire Guitar - Black Sparkle

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by GearGeek01, Nov 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nope, sorry, don’t like it AT ALL......whatever floats your boat folks but the bad arm graze and awful Paisley pickguard, nah, wouldn’t spend my coin on it, it is not an Esquire really is it !

2. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

1) Big fan of Brad and his unique playing and tones
    2) the guitars ain't bad
    3) the relic looks goofy. Its not for me
    4) A Brad signature guitar with no Bender is not a Brad Signature guitar
    5) The guitar Brad is playing in the video has has a Bender ! What's up with that ?
    6) An Esquire is a single pup Tele, well...it used to be
    7) my friend has one of the early Silver ones, its nice and plays nice
    8) great marketing term Aggressive Vibe, which means "hidden Pickup"

I'm kinda laughing to myself while Brad is describing the Esquire ,he switches to the front "hidden PUP" and says you can't do that with a typical Esquire. OF course you can't, the typical Esquire only has 1 PUP, you need a Tele ! While I love Brad the gobbly gook about the bridge, the metal, no pup pulling on the strings etc is just that , gobbly gook. Back in the day the Esquire was less money than a Tele because it only had 1 pup, if you can imagine, it was a less expensive guitar than a Tele ! They were rare and hard to find because Fender didn't make all that many. I'm thinking Leo didn't make a single PUP Tele because that front pup interfered with the tone by magnetic pull on the strings. I'm thinking Leo was thinking a slightly less expensive guitar than the other less expensive guitar !

At least in the Brent Mason Fender Video's Brent is paying the actual production guitar as shipped, Brad playing this guitar with a Bender installed is curious. Maybe it was an oversight . At first I thought wow, it comes with a Bender ! But nope , it does not. There is a 2nd guitar on the stand, it does NOT have the Bender . Curious as to why he didn't just play the factory guitar. Good thing Brad had the presence of mind to NOT yank that Bender during the demo! :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    teletimetx and That Cal Webway like this.
  3. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sounds like a Baja w/o the 4-way switch, TT pickups and a nitro finish. Bit steep of a price if you ask me. Plus, that relic wear looks HORRIBLE!

4. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I’m sure it’s a great guitar, but I find the pick guard overwhelms the black sparkle finish, and that “wear” mark also detracts from the appearance.
    At that price it’s a non starter in my book, just because of the looks.

5. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yea,

No matter the under the pickguard voodoo,
    still a trad 2 pup Tele.

6. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Hell, yeah!

7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

"Poppycock."
    Does this mean that you think that relicing is not specious, or that relicing is paying someone else to enjoy damaging an instruments pristine craftsmanship and attention to detail to give the instrument the imaginary implied history that never happened in the owner's possession but occurred in the factories chop-shop, with an additional charge for artistic services rendered?

zzzzcreepy-dolls-shain-erin-oracle.jpg

8. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't really care about the relic stuff one way or another - I've had guitars with and without and never notice it after the first few days. I really like the original Paisley in terms of it's neck and pickups and light weight. But I HATE that silver sparkle look with the Paisley pick guard. I don't usually care about a guitar's looks, but if I really can't stand it, I wouldn't buy it.

I'm not crazy about the fake Esquire aspect of this one, but same neck and light weight and it sounds great. And while I don't like any sparkly looking guitars, it's a lot less offensive on a black background than a silver one. Still don't like the pick-guard, but that's easily replaced. I think this guitar wouldn't hurt my head too much with a white guard. I'm still not in the market for a tele, but if I ever am again, I think I'd have to check one of these out.

He did another video using the pickup on a BSB guitar. If they ever marketed one like that instead of the sparkle one, I might have to just up and buy it...

-Ray

9. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Great guitar - but there is a point when price exceeds value IMO .

10. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Natural wear... I guess I'm one of those "yahoos" that takes it out of the case...

DSCF0386--neck wear.JPG

11. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Hate the relic. Love everything else about it. I played the silver one, and IMO it's Fender's BEST tele neck. I only wish it had 22 frets.
    Love the finish- much more than the silver one. Hate the relic.
    Sounds fantastic. I don't care that's it's not "really" an Esquire. I wouldn't own a true Esquire because I love the tele neck pickup sound.
    Hate the relic.
    The price wouldn't even scare me off- IF it had 22 frets... I'll have to think on that, because the neck profile is FANTASTIC.

Did I mention I hate the relic?

12. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I guess all those that bought a vintage instrument that has wear that didn't happen in their possession are just fake wannabe's.
    Gawd you people that are obsessed with insulting someone for liking a finish option are pathetic.
    I'm sure this thread will get shut down now but then maybe every thread that mentions a guitar that has relic should be shut down.

Jakedog and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  13. Sea tea

Sea tea TDPRI Member

Interesting thoughts everyone. I really don't care about the relic but would prefer the guitar without it. Regardless it's a fantastic neck with great tones- and that's all I really care about. The paisley pick guard will probably be replaced, but I play for feel and tone first. This Esquire/Tele sounds fantastic. Cheers.

BTW there's also the cowboy hat script on the headstock I could do without, but I imagine there were players in the 50s that didn't want Les Paul's name their guitar ; )

-also to be honest the reliving doesn't look nearly as goofy in person...

Jakedog likes this.
  14. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

lol To each his own. The head stock cowboy hat grates on me more than the arm wear ever did. When I first got the silver tele the arm wear looked unnaturally clean and white. Now with a lot of playing time Its darkened quite a bit and has become more subtle and real looking. I'd like to "wear" that cowboy hat off.

15. Sea tea

Sea tea TDPRI Member

I thought about "wearing it off" but I'm going to wait before making any mods... at first I didn't even know what it was.

16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I'd just wipe some black paint over that belt sander bare wood and enjoy the guitar .

17. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

easy there pawd-nair , ain't no one casting aspersion about personality idiosyncrasies it's just a tepid discussion about nothing more serious than faux and atrifice. Nothing similar to a fire that needs extinguishing with several litres of high octane racing fuel.
    Easy, easy there ,it's o.k. nobody's gonna go scaring the horses and children with a 20 foot inflatable anaconda.
    It's just a pink poodle on it's best behavior prancing along to charm the debutants.

000pink poodle.jpg

18. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Guys, because of a couple of you that just can’t think before you post, this thread, which started off very innocuously, is now closed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.