1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Brad Paisley Esquire (again)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ruger9, Nov 30, 2020.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The last thread got a little out of hand, and got locked. Let's keep this one civil, eh?

New info we have not yet heard on this model- right from Brad himself.

-bridge pickup same as in silver one
    -neck pickup sounds like a Strat (!)
    -In-between position sounds "more stratty" because it's about 70%bridge/30%neck
    ...a good read!

Also info on those amps he was using... the Z is the new Z-Wreck Jr. 18-watter. The Vibro-king has been modded with a new baffle for a 1x12 + 1x10 configuration... interesting...

https://guitar.com/features/intervi..._medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

Sea tea likes this.
  2. skhan007

skhan007 TDPRI Member

Very interested in this model and look forward to finding one in-person. I've never bonded with a V-shape neck, but I've read this one gradually changes to a C shape towards the higher register frets. Mostly curious about the pickups- I realize the novelty of the hidden neck pickup, but not sure about the tone, given the distance from the strings. I'm sure Seymour has it figured out, however.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

4. gtrwrks

gtrwrks Tele-Afflicted

I have the silver BP model and didn't like the bridge pickup at all - I too would be interested in knowing if they're the same or not (Tele vs Esquire).

5. ruger9

In the interview I linked to above, Brad says they are the same. The difference, apparently, is that the neck pickup isn't pulling on the strings like a regular neck pickup, which changes the sound of the BRIDGE pickup. This is, allegedly, what makes an Esquire an Esquire.

6. ruger9

Welp, I got one incoming....there was one on eBay from MF, a mint return, and MF emailed me with an offer I couldn't refuse for basically a new instrument. So the deed is done.

Blister and DrPepper like this.
  7. ruger9

Should be here tomorrow....

8. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Hmmm, got some guy on local CL offering the Paisley Tele AND Esquire for $2000....

9. ruger9

Hmm... well, the silver one seems to go for around $800 used these days? The Esquire, being brand new, will draw more... not saying 2K is too much, but IDK... I paid 1150 total for the Esquire (mine was a "return", it's like a demo model in a guitar shop), so 1150+800=1950? It's right there... would depend on the condition of both...

10. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Yeah, ruger, even in mint condition for both, which the seller says they are, it's a little high. He's got the Tele at $925 and the Esquire at $1200, if purchased separately. Esquire might be real close, price-wise, Tele, not so much. Of course, asking and getting are two different things....:D

ruger9 likes this.
  11. ruger9

Hmm... just took it out of the box. Light as a feather. I had to contact Fender (awaiting a reply), because the neck on this guitar does not feel like the one on the silver sparkle Paisley Telecaster I played at the local shop. I remember LOVING that neck, but this one seems bigger. You would THINK they'd be the same, since it's BRAD'S neck, but IDK. Maybe my memory is faulty (wouldn't be the first time)... we'll see what Fender has to say about it.

Other first-5-minute-observations (using stock strings; right out of the box... I'm going to put MY strings on it and set it up to my specs)...

-the bridge pickup sounds good. It can definitely rock if you want it to. But it can also chicken pick.

-the neck pickup is indeed quieter than the bridge- I'd say by 25%. At home it's quite noticeable, but it's less noticeable at gig levels... not sure that would be a deal breaker for me.

-this is the most interesting thing, and I think will be the love/hate that makes people decide if they like this guitar:
    The middle position sounds like a STRAT. It does not sound like the middle position on a tele. It sounds like the bridge/middle position on a Strat... it does a good "Sultans of Swing" tone. Some might consider that very versatile, especially for a cover band situation. And I know people for years have tried to get the tele middle position to sound more Strat-like (the Jerry Donahue tele has wiring for this)... so some people will probably really dig it, others who like the tele's middle position will likely not.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  12. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Played one recently, neck is CHUNKY, but I liked it. Love how light the body is, didn’t plug it in so can’t comment on the sounds. It felt great.

13. ruger9

I love the body, and I love the bridge pickup. Not sure about the neck profile yet. As for the weak neck pickup, since I use the bridge 90% of the time in my band, and the middle the other 10% (I rarely use the neck pickup for the music we play), this SUPER LIGHT tele would actually be great for my cover band. But it's not the guitar I would pick up at home, simply because I use the neck pickup ALOT at home. So, not sure this guitar is "for me".

Almost makes me want to wait until The Stratosphere is selling these bodies w/o necks, and use it to build a partscaster out of...

14. Tampashooter

Tampashooter TDPRI Member

If you read Brads interview about it, the lower volume neck pickup was a feature, not a glitch. It makes the middle setting pretty awesome actually....

15. ruger9

Well, like I said: it'll be a love/hate thing, because it makes the middle position sound like a Strat. Someone like Jim Campilongo or Duke Levine would NOT like that, lol. personally, while I like a Strats middle/bridge position occasionally, I prefer the tele middle position.

As far as a lower volume neck pickup being a "feature"... in who's world LOL? In all my years of talking with other musicians I've NEVER heard anyone complain that they wished their tele neck pickup was QUIETER lol

16. Tampashooter

Tampashooter TDPRI Member

In Brad Paisleys world?

“To me, it sounds like an early lapsteel pickup that’s sat well away from the strings. Immediately in the testing room, from the very first prototype, we were all like, ‘Holy cow!’ Not only did it sound acceptable, it became my favorite neck pickup. It’s a good three or five dB lower than my bridge pickup. And I like that.

“I don’t like a really beefy neck, I prefer the Stratty kinda tone… and on my Strats, I set my neck pickup real low. I like having more air. I’m not looking for an ES-335 sound. I want it to still be jazzy but more thin.

“So we put that pickup in and it changed everything for me… which is why I went to Fender and said I had this secretly in a couple of my Esquire, suggesting we could put one in and offer it for the first time. Which makes it special, this is the first time anyone can buy an Esquire with two pickups, just one of them hidden. This guitar became an entirely different experience.

“It works so well with the pickup Tim Shaw designed in the bridge. What I love is that it’s so low in output, when you use it with a Tube Screamer or Wampler device for a SRV-style barely broken up sound or some funk thing and then go to the bridge, it almost feels like a humbucker.

“The bridge is so much higher in output. When we were designing this pickup, I was hoping for something at least acceptable in the neck, but it’s not. I just recorded something with it the other day, using this guitar just for the neck sound...”

17. ruger9

Well, Brad is the only one who lives in Brad's world :lol:

18. ruger9

Just wanted to verify for you- that is correct. Altho the C profile shape up higher on the neck is STILL chunkier/thicker than the MIA or MIM "Modern C" profile.

skhan007 likes this.
  19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Really? I’m forever fighting a neck pickup that even when slightly quieter than the bridge pickup, because of frequencies and location on the string comes across louder live.

So I route my guitars to drop the neck pickup lower and/or beef up the bridge pickup.

Every guy I play with seems to do the same thing - neck pickup sitting flush or pretty close.

Also, why are you surprised two necks from the same (or cousin) lines are different. They are all unique pieces of lumber with some hand finishing. I’ve never picked up two guitars in the same line and found the necks to be the same. Always subtle, or not-so-subtle differences in nut width, depth, shape and “edges”.

20. ruger9

I've never had an issue with an overbearing neck pickup on a tele, altho yes- it is my standard procedure to raise the bridge and lower the neck. But that is LIGHT YEARS away from the imbalance I'm talking about with this Esquire- all I can say is- until you play it, you don't know how IMBALANCED the 2 pickups are. Yes, Brad wanted it that way... I can't imagine what his application would be tho. The volumes of the 2 pickups are so different you'd never be able to balance them, which matters if you are someone who uses both pickups alot. But again- the unique stratty sound in the middle position is very useful.

As for the necks... I own/have owned MIA, MIM, and MII telecasters. All the MIA necks have been the same. All the MIM necks have been the same. the MII neck was tiny and pretty different from the other 2. Despite all of them being "Modern C" profiles. I just assume each factory (America, Mexico, Indonesia) has it's own CNC making the necks... so necks from the same factory are the same, but necks across the Fender range are not, despite all being listed as "Modern C".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.