1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Bonnie Raitt Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by rarebreed, Mar 31, 2021.

1. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

My wife has a Fender Bonnie Raitt Strat for her main guitar. She has small hands and the small neck on this guitar is perfect for her. She wants a back up guitar and without laying down the bucks for another Bonnie Raitt Strat can anyone recommend another Strat model foreign or domestic made that has a neck profile with the same specs or real close? She has a Squier that she tries to play but the neck on it doesn't suit her and I've thought about contacting Warmoth or one of the other vendors that sell parts and just swapping out the neck on the Squier. But then I'm worried about it fitting the neck pocket on the body like it should. Looking for some help on this. Thanks

uriah1 likes this.
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Maybe a mustang copy. Fit and feel should be good along those lines.

Mr powers and brookdalebill like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

First thing I thought of, too!
    Peavey made some stuff, like the T15 with small necks and slightly shorter scale.
    What's the nut width of the BR Strat.
    Love Bonnie, BTW!

39martind18 and uriah1 like this.
  4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Which Squier does she have? The Standards and Contemporary series have chunkier necks, but the Affinities are quite thin and comfortable. I know they are lower end, but shockingly good with a good setup - certainly a worthy back up instrument. I have two and they get as much play time (including gigs) as my Fender Teles and Strat. Too much play time to call them back up instruments.

5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nut width on my two Affinities (2012 and 2016) is a very thin 40mm, but I heard the new ones are a bit wider.

6. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Don't know all the ins and outs of the Bonnie Riatt Strat, but I know they're said to be real slim so ....

Ibanez AZ series would take some beating. Depending on price you want to pay there's a Prestige and Premium model, see
    https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/model/az/ - needless to say that link might not work in the USA?

eg 42mm wide and only 20.5mm thick at the Nut .... to 56.4mm and 22.5mm respectively at the 12th fret!

7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

It wont be exactly the same, but have her give MIM Zmustangs/duosonics a try. They pop up used for $500 and less (I almost bought a pink one 2 weeks ago for $380, but stopped myself) and the biggest issue with them stock is the pickups aren't that impressive. Since that's a less than $100 fix, I certainly recommend.
    If she uses the trem, and isn't interested in a Japanese mustang, the cyclone and cyclone II from the late 90s/2000s go for under $700 and have a strat tremelo and more interesting sounding pickups.

Lastly, if you go the Warmoth route, they're backed up on customer orders, and I'm not sure if the standard instock stuff fits in a squier neck. I would find out the specific shape, nut width, and radius of the BR neck before throwing the ~$500 at a custom neck for a squier body. Actually, I'd probably just buy a MIM fender body if they have a proper spec'd neck instock. The way they describe wait times with thier popups make me glad I don't need a custom neck right now.

Happy hunting!

8. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Jaguar, maybe? Small scale and looks cooler than a Strat.

9. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

Did anyone else turn green with envy when reading "My wife has a ... main guitar."?

Lucky dog.

10. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the responses, according to Fender the specs on the Bonnie Raitt neck say it's a small 60's c shape, 1.65" wide at the nut,.840 at the 1st fret,.900 at the 12th fret, and a 9.5 radius. The Squier she has is one of the Affinity models and I even think it's not much of a player and I'm not half the guitarist she is, but it was a birthday gift from one of our bandmates. He got it for her because it is pink sparkle and she was wanting a pink guitar. Again thanks for the help.

11. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

About the Peavey T15, it has a thin short scale neck but it is not narrow. Quite wide nut width as a matter of fact. Most players with small hands like a narrow neck but not necessarily thin. Short scale is nice but also necessary. The BR Strat is not extremely thin with a full 25.5" scale..

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

macoshark and FortyEight like this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Norah Jones, the pianist and jazz singer, is petite. She plays a Mustang and it sounds amazingly good. I know nothing about the necks or if they vary between MIM and MIA, but she can find out if she can find one to play.

uriah1 likes this.
  14. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

Does she want a short scale..?
    Looks like a narrower nut width is what the bonnie strat is.
    Have a neck made to that spec.
    Everything else is most likely ganna have a wider nut width.
    If a slightly wider nut can be fine, then a mim strat or Japanese strat should do it.

15. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

Several Japanese strats have a 40mm width which is near identical to the Bonnie Raitt. st-43, st-62

16. NICQ

NICQ Tele-Meister

I bought a Squier SuperSonic and that neck is smaller than the Affinity and every other Fender or Squier I ever played.. give that a try maybe? It has a weird bidy shape but comes in beautiful colors (ice blue metallic and a purple/grey) - has a strat tremolo and can be fitted with 3 Strat Singlecoils if needed.

17. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

For some reason, I thought Bonnie Raitt's actual Strat has a 1-1/2" nut. I have a 1966 Tele with a 1-1/2" nut. Feels like playing a violin.

18. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

You People who recommend a Jag or Mustang neck??? 24" Scale, not 25.5! Can't move the Bridge up, so it will be in Scale?

19. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

I don't know about the size of the nut on the bullet, but I mic'd my Bullet's neck a while back and it was quite a bit thinner than my Affinity Tele and Fender Starcaster strat. The starcasters was the thickest, interestingly enough. The body on the bullet is smaller than usual too so it starts to almost feel like a Mustang. But yeah, the neck is super thin. If I find my piece of paper with the mic'd measurements I will post them.

It has a good sound. Made in 2010. But it has recently developed a few dead spots. I think it may have been my fault for trying thicker strings. Although you should be able to do that. LOL.

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I agree, have MusiKraft or etc make one, pick measurements near those you take off her BR strat.
    be careful though, I suspect there are other things that are as/more important than that little bit of nut width. Profile, edge roll, fret size, radius etc.
    While nut width may have some effect on feel playing cowboy chords, they all have to end up the same width by the neck pocket...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.