1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Blues Junior Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by electrablue, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

I have a stock version III, second one I’ve had, completely different than the first one I owned from 2013 - this second one from 2017 has a gradual volume taper, bias and tubes from the factory produce super sweet tone, lots of colourful midrange - no unforgiving volume taper, no ice pick trebles or harsh clipping into overdrive like the previous one. I also own a ProJr IV and Bassbreaker 007, and this 2017 BJ has the most colourful and useable, bright and open tone for home use. Stock Blues Juniors are not all created equal.

2. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

3. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here is a drawing of how to wire the jack. Use shielded wire. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

saltyseadog likes this.
  4. saltyseadog

Thank you Andy B, So I just need to wire the Hot & Ground and ignore the other two pins on the board, is that correct?.

5. Andy B

That’s correct. They actually are joined on the underside of the PCB.

saltyseadog likes this.
  6. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

Here's what I did.

Original Fender pin #
    1= shield, center/sleeve on Switchcraft,
    2=signal/tip
    5=shorting switch

Attached Files:

• BJ#1.JPG
      BJ#1.JPG
      File size:
      150.2 KB
      Views:
    saltyseadog likes this.
  7. Andy B

What Bill did works but due to the physical differences of the jacks it is not necessary. The diagram I sent you is how I have wired a good many of these amps. It works on any Fender amp using these plastic jacks. Personally I use the open Switchcraft jacks like the one in Bill’s picture but the jack you selected will work just fine.

saltyseadog likes this.
  8. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

I really didn't plan to isolate the jack, but the original hole was a perfect fit for Switchcraft isolation washers. Maybe deliberate?

9. Andy B

I usually use the isolation washers when they fit. Makes the jack fit tight. I’ve got a bag full of assorted ones mostly salvaged from old equipment.

saltyseadog likes this.
  10. saltyseadog

Do I need the isolation washers for the BJr'?, I likely have something I can make or use in my tool box but there are none on the present PCB jack. Reason I ask is that they are very hard to source here in the UK.

11. Andy B

See how much hum you get before you change the Jack. Try it without them. If you do not notice any hum when the amp is turned up with nothing plugged into it then you are fine.

saltyseadog likes this.
  12. br000c

br000c TDPRI Member

I'm in! I bought a used Tweed BJr with the Jensen C12N speaker a couple of weeks ago. I think it is a II : the board is not cream but dated 2010, and there is no "III" on the ID plate. The previous owner had it retubed and modded for adjustable bias. Otherwise, it looks stock.

I tried it a couple of times and really like the variaty of tones I can get with different V and MV combinations. I would like to try it through the UK made Celestion G12H Heritage of my L5T-112 but need to find or build an extension cord first

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Geo, irie and gitapik like this.
  13. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sweet looking Tele. Goes well with that fine new amp you've got there.

I actually loved the Jensen with my Les Paul, but I don't play that anywhere near as much as my single coils, so I replaced it with a Cannabis Rex and couldn't be happier with it!

(LP sounds great through the Cannabis Rex, too)

br000c likes this.
  14. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

A couple of years ago I was able to make an A/B comparison of my "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb and my Blues Jr. – I could get approximately the same clean headroom from both amps. I couldn't stand the volume for more than a couple of minutes. With a blues jr. in a band situation you can feel like running out of headroom anyway because the small power stage, cabinet and speaker doesn't have a lot of punch in the deep registers.

Geo likes this.
  15. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Bought another blues jr yesterday!! It's tweed with a cn 12 Jensen. 3 may seem like too many but 2 stay on the band trailer all the time. I now have one for the studio and the price was right.

Geo likes this.
  16. a.francis.1968

a.francis.1968 Tele-Meister

Just bought my first ever Fender amp after thinking long and hard, my last amp a Carlsbro 50 top from 74 was just to loud for living in an apartment so he had to go and be onstage again someplace.
    I wasn’t going to buy a Fender amp because of the awful rep these amps get with poor shoddy workmanship, what’s wrong with folks? You’ve got that lush jungle landscape and top beaches that should be enough to stir you on to producing a quality component, my Carslbro never needed one repair in 15 years, but I bit the bullet after reading on forums about the recent improvements and plumped for a purple and turquoise one it has a cannabis Rex speaker I changed v1 valve for a 12 at7 put in a mox reverb tank I think they market as “mod” in the US and apparently the overheating and biasing issues have been dealt with by Fender in the new design and some other upgrades that people were doing themselves too. My first Fender and my first ever amp with reverb I can’t believe I’ve never owned an amp with reverb in 45 year’s of playing, for some reason British amps never had reverb.
    I know it is a good amp because a giant moth as big as my palm flew in the window and landed on the purple tolex checked it out and is hiding someplace near it, last night I had to sleep on the floor on cushions In the lounge because I knew it was in the bedroom.. due to the super heatwave here in the U.K. at the mo were getting lots of fantastic creatures flying in from abroad. Moths love wine apparently so am going to put a saucer full near the window to tempt him on his way, myself just the thought of wine makes me want to.... I like my lager for 45 minutes in the freezer so it’s super chilled....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    djh22 and gitapik like this.
  17. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Can always trust the instincts of a Luna moth (light green? They get pretty big).

Very into my NOS tweed BJr when I first got it, years ago. Over the top great after modding it. Like a bare bones boutique.

I stay out of politics on all music forums...but let’s just say I hope you’re right.

18. a.francis.1968

a.francis.1968 Tele-Meister

CB280000-4EDD-420B-9314-135D1197855C.jpeg 9674CF94-FBF6-4E5F-AD68-2223392701B2.jpeg Here is a pic of the blues juniors innards it looks to be quite well made maybe they go through a higher quality control if being shipped to Europe as we pay a lot more for them than you do back in the US as an example this one would cost you 847$ or £649 here without the vintage Brimar valve or reverb tank I put in myself, this one is from March 3 2020 and am hoping for at least 10 years with no problems on this amp he said as his palms started sweating...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    irie and saltyseadog like this.
  19. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm with gitapik about my modded NOS tweed, but it doesn't hold a candle looks-wise to your turquoise and purple ;)
    Congrats and enjoy!

gitapik likes this.
  20. saltyseadog

I really like that colour but please move it from your albums when playing as there is a lot of heat coming out the back of the amp?.

gitapik likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.