Fender Blues Junior Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by electrablue, Jun 13, 2009.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Might want to go to another forum for that one...? Sounds like a nice plan but I can't help you with the tech on it.

2. gitapik

I've been playing my LP through my billM modded BJr lately and decided it's my favorite guitar through that amp. The humbuckers rock!

3. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't know if I should apply for club membership, as I intend to sell my BJ after I play through it for a while.
    I picked it up dead, and after checking, found a bad input jack. I installed a Switchcraft for a "permanent" repair, installed a 80-90's Accutronics tank, a C12N speaker, and generally cleaned it up. It has had the Billm style mods including a larger OT, and the little thing punches outside of its size!
    I am still put off by the cheap construction, and the tiny chassis mounted pots, but with a small investment, they can sound really good!
    BJ#%.JPG BJ#3.JPG

Geo and gitapik like this.
  4. gitapik

Nice work!

I did everything I could to love that C12N but the only guitar that made it shine was my LP. Cannabis Rex brings out the best in that amp with all my guitars (singles and humbuckers) ime.

tce63 likes this.
  5. Bill Moore

The C12N came from a newer BJ that my cousin owns. A couple of years ago, I gave him a Weber 12A125A that I wasn't using, and he loves it!
    All the other 12's I have spare are huge!

gitapik likes this.
  6. gitapik

Yeah. It came standard on the tweed NOS model. I broke it in but my Tele and Strat bridge pickups are just too shrill. LP sounded great. Still sounds great w the Cannabis Rex.

So you’re going to sell your BJr. What’re you playing through with that same vibe?

7. Bill Moore

My DR clone is my favorite for now, although I used my 5E3 clone at our last jam, and got what I wanted out of it. (I don't play out anymore, just get together with friends!)

tce63 likes this.
  8. Bill Moore

I took the BJ over to my sister in laws house to let her play through it before I put it on CL. I didn't get it back home, she fell in love with it!

gitapik likes this.
  9. gitapik

It’s a good little amp. Esp with the mods, ime. Nice gift, Bill.

10. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

Here's my finished modified tweed build.
    (8) Finished Backside.jpg Finally Finished Fender.jpg

11. gitapik

saltyseadog likes this.
  12. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

I got a used version 3 a few weeks ago. One of the things that seems odd is the midrange control
    is working opposite. When I turn the control up the sound gets thinner instead of thicker.
    Anyone else have this occur? Maybe someone was doing some work in there and reversed the contacts
    on the pot?

13. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

Years ago I sent to the USA for the BillM mod kit. One of those mods made a change to how the mid range control worked. I can't remember the details now but maybe someone applied this mod to your BJr' and got it reversed somehow. Here is a link to the BillM site I believe Bill died but the site continues to be run by others. http://billmaudio.com/wp/

Geo likes this.
  14. spenno

spenno Tele-Meister

Anyone here have the ltd surf green BJ with the Creamback that's currently doing the rounds? I'm thinking of going for one in the coming weeks...

15. spenno

spenno Tele-Meister

^
    ... me!! I took the plunge yesterday and joined this little group!

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

I'd spent many years reading about how the Blues Junior wouldn't cut through, how it's boxy, how it isn't 'that' Fender sound, and because it often seemed to get a bad time it put me off seriously contemplating buying one. By chance I got to try one out at a recent rehearsal. Even as I was plugging it in I didn't seriously believe that this diminutive fellow was going to make much of an impression. I was stunned! It immediately gave me back what I'd lost in my sound after selling a few bits. Not only did it cut through, but I couldn't hear the infamous boxiness (or at least not enough to put me off), and was as impressed as any amp has left me in recent years. I'm not sure which version it was or what speaker was installed (it was the sparkly red cabinet, not tolex). I got home and immediately began looking into the variants available (being a sucker for a FSR) and stumbled upon this little guy equipped with a Celestion Creamback, one of BillM's top recommended speakers for the FBJ.

I've not played it too much - just a few hours at home - but I know I've found an amp that so far ticks every box for me. I can count the things I'm not so fond of much quicker than what I like. For one, the reverb is extremely subtle, to the point I wasn't sure if it was actually on, even when maxed out. I queried this with the store who described the reverb on the mkIV as being 'smooth and blends quite well, almost part of the sound rather than a patched on effect'. Fortunately I'm not a huge user of reverb, although if any Jr is screaming out for reverb craziness it's this one! The input socket for the footswitch is very fiddly to access. The mains cable is insanely long. I haven't yet considered the quality of any of the internal components, but a few of the more visible ones like the plastic input (and the suggested carnage to the motherboard if one were to damage it) are a concern. Fender have kept costs down by scrimping on a few other things (not even a slip case with this one, and the footswitch is the cheaper moulded type) - all of which I am addressing when I can in the next few months. I have a custom padded cover on the way from Hot Covers and will pick up a footswitch replacement that I can detatch and leave on my pedal board. I've already spoken to my tech about a few alterations, namely adding a standby switch, mains adjustment (to 240), addition of bias adjustment, replacement of input jack with metal switchcraft replacement, and cutting a few feet off the mains cable so it can be tucked away a little easier.

Soundwise, it's incredibly warm. None of the brittle harshness I'd half expected and none of the ice-pick treble of the one I tried (and just about tamed) at rehearsal. Effective 3 band EQ with a pleasing range of tones at the ready. I wasn't able to go too loud and dial in any drive beyond a light crunch - it's deceptively loud. I'm surprised it's often recommended as a bedroom amp. It's easily giggable at the level I need, which is a reasonably loud 5 piece. Looking forward to seeing what I can get out of it a little louder on its live debut in a few weeks.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  16. irie

irie Tele-Holic

congrats man, love the look of the seafoam green and wheat grill.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    spenno likes this.
  17. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

I've had a green board amp that I bought new in the nineties and I used it at home and thought it was okay. I recently bought a Tone King Sky King and was blown away.

Playing them side-by-side, the dark boxiness of the Jr was *finally* apparent to me. Rather than do the BillM mods like everyone else seems to do, I opted to re-speaker & re-tube using the same brands that the Sky King uses.

That meant replacing the speaker with a Hellatone 30 (pre-broken in Celeston G12H30 Anniversary) and using Tube Amp Doctor (TAD) tubes, but substituted a 5751 in the v1 slot.

It's still no Tone King, but it's a vastly improved amp that I can bring back to stock in few a minutes (if I every wanted to??)

saltyseadog likes this.
  18. sammy1

sammy1 TDPRI Member

Okay guys its new BJunior day for me I am joining Photo on 10-11-19 at 3.33 PM.jpg up. Played this little guy when I got her home and liked her a lot. Used cost me $400 but it was in great shape and had seen very little use. I want to get this thing modded but dont know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Guess i'll play a while as I do my research

Geo likes this.
  19. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Bill M mods are the only ones that I am aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There are other people around that published various different mods but Bill’s are the most prevalent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.