1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Blues Junior Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by electrablue, Jun 13, 2009.

1. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Hey mrboson,

Just a quick non invasive test of my BJr, reveals virtually no hums or hisses in all positions. I quickly ran a tele and a humbuckered LP through a few scenarios and I am hearing nothing out of the ordinary.

There is an almost imperceptible low frequency hum when the thing is at idle, but then again this is the same low frequency hum that I hear with almost any electrical appliance. I am hearing the same sound - if I listen really hard - with the Mac computer I am now using.

I am sure other BJr users will have a more detailed and technical analysis for you, but for now I hope this helps you.

2. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the info. I spent some time inside mine last night trying to chase down any problem. New set of power tubes, different tubes in v1,v2,v3. Pulled both circuit boards completely out, flowed solder for all the tube sockets, ribbon cables, and anything else that looked old. Dressed all the cables, including positioning the PI cable just like Billm's website showed. So far, none of these things has worked. Although it is now a really, really quiet amp at low master volumes, turning up the MV with high preamp volume still has that loud hum. I replaced the stock input jack with a Switchcraft input jack with isolation washers, so that isn't it.

I am stumped.

3. Guitarzan824

Guitarzan824 TDPRI Member

I added Fromel mods and re-cap kit, then a Swamp Thang speaker. I am very pleased, but it weighs a ton now

4. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I've got some BillM mods for sale in the Classifieds if anyone is looking to do projects . . . :D

Loved my BJ but the Tiny Terror and Tweaker 15 won . . .

5. androo

androo Tele-Holic

I can join! Just received a NOS Tweed yesterday....got it out of "used gear police hold" at my local store. I thought $379 was a pretty good deal. Looks super clean inside, changed out the tubes to JJ's all around, did one of those Billm oscillation fixes, and this thing is sweet!~ I'm thinking I don't want to do anything else to it (although I am having a MOD tank sent....I just don't like the flavor of the stock tank. Pretty harsh and unpretty)

Thanks for having me!

6. Expel

Expel TDPRI Member

I can join too! I bought a NOS Tweed off of CList (turned out the guy lived 6 blocks from me) for $250. It would have been $200, but someone called and offered the guy $300 to buy it right then. Thankfully the seller gave me the option of going to $250 because "the guy sounds like a jerk". Turns out the seller is a well-known musician so my NOS has a pretty nifty history.

It's stock from '07, I can tell that the EL84's need to be replaced, and the 'verb sounds a tad flimsy for a BJr, but other than those two issues it's a beaut. I am a happy camper indeed.

7. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Tele-Afflicted

BillM has a reverb mod as well (if it's one of the old green board models). I did it on mine and it sounds great.

8. Expel

Expel TDPRI Member

It's a cream board, revision C. I intend on doing at few Billm mods down the line, but for now a Ruby tank and some "fresh" tubes will do the trick methinks. It's only fair to get NOS tubes for my NOS BJr, right? I think I can effectively argue that point with the misses of the manor...

Luckily the previous owner knew how to treat his gear well, so for being a 4 year old gigging amp it's in great condition. I still cannot fathom the purpose behind relic amps and roadworn guitar... bah, to each their own.

@elkhart1956 - Hey now, nothing wrong with a MIM maple neck tele! ;)

9. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

Still experimenting with my Humboldt. Behaves well, but I haven't dialed in the tones yet. Works well with P-90's. Sounded pretty boxy the first night with 'buckers. We'll see...

10. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis TDPRI Member

I'm tempted now, local GC has the NOS tweeds on sale now. Submit to the dark side!!!!

11. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I played a stock Bjr on a jam last night with my les paul – everything exept reverb on 12 o'clock and it sounded fab.

12. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

New at Sweetwater!!!

Fender Blues Junior III Red October Limited Edition This is more than just a 15-watt tube amp; it's a vintage tone machine! Complete with a limited-edition Bronco Red vinyl covering with white piping, this warm-toned amp will floor you with its depth of character. Three 12AX7s and a pair of EL84s powering an Eminence 12" Redcoat Wizard speaker give you everything from crystalline Fender cleans to crispy crunch to growling overdrive. Fire it up and prepare to be blown away! $559.99 + FREE Shipping

13. Expel

Expel TDPRI Member

I highly recommend it, and the tweed holds up pretty darn well against kittens... which I sadly know from experience. :mad: Although I did notice that the C12N does sound a little ice-picky with single-coils. BillM mods are supposed to help with that though.

14. CDKopf

CDKopf Tele-Holic

Just got one of these last friday..Blues Jr Western Limited Edition .wasn't reaally looking for a new amp..but that western tolex sold me..once I got it home and plugged in....couldn't believe what ive been missing..what a great little amp perfect for my rockabilly.

15. knuckles123

knuckles123 TDPRI Member

I have a BJr tweed w/ 12" jensen. The other night when I was playing the amp cut out. alomost like it shut it self off. Has anyone ever had this happen?

Mark

16. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

I'm in:

Black tolex, cream board revision C.
    Retube (JJs)
    Re-Cap'd (orange drop & silver mica)
    Tri Rectifier (EZ80 tube half & full power or silicon diode)
    Tone Stack Mod
    Two button footswitch: Variable Boost (tone bypass) and Reverb on/off
    Half Power Switch
    Negative feedback on/off switch
    Power Standby Switch
    Power Supply smoothing and safety bleed resistor fitted
    Bias adjustment pot fitted
    Lead dress
    Primary set for correct UK mains operation
    Stock Fender/Eminence speaker.

Delivered today but I won't get a chance to plug-in til tomorrow. The suspense is killing me!

17. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

After spending all day with the BJ and a Tele I can see why a lot of guys like the Canabis Rex speaker - think I'll be going that route too to get some warmth into this amp.

The reverb is definitely the worst I've ever heard - ended up using my Hall of Fame pedal instead.

18. Peter C

Peter C Tele-Meister

I'm in. Got a BJr last summer - Canadian chain store had clearance on them to make way for the series 3 BJr. Brand new at 349.00 so couldn't pass it up cause they were normally about 550.00 to 580.00. Traded in my scxd and some pedals and paid the difference. (I didn't really like the scxd but that is a different story).
    Got the Billm mods but haven't had the nerve yet to start doing them - had a scare with lifting the trace on the champ 600 when I was modding that so have to get my nerves back before tackling the BJr.
    I actually don't mind the stock speaker that much. The only thing I don't like much is when I engage the fat switch and it gets a little bit more noisy and buzzing.

Knuckles 123 - I had probably same problem as you - I was playing mine, and then there was no sound. Turned it off and waited and tried it again and it was fine for a bit. Next day or so same thing happened. If I recall when I looked in the back only one power tube was lit - everything else was not. Changed the tubes with a few spare I had and still the same thing. It was under warranty and got fixed. When I opened it up to see if I could see what they did it looked like a short in the circuit board had occurred in the tube area. There was a wire that was inserted and I am guessing it was installed as a jumper to by pass the bad part of the pcb board.

My only regret - wish they had a tweed one available and on sale instead. Love the look of the tweed ones.

19. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

Rex now fitted - lovin' it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. agraebner

agraebner Tele-Meister

I am in the club

I just sold my Fender 94 twin and bough a nice cream board Blues junior. Got her for a steal at $200 she looks like new and sounds it too. Only plans for her are to order a new set of tubes as these have been in there a LONG time and a temporary swap of my mullards from another amp sound amazing in her. I am very pleased with my new to me baby.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.