Fender Blues Jr

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bluetelecaster, Sep 24, 2019.

1. johnniegoat

johnniegoat TDPRI Member

had my Blues Jr since 1998, got it 2nd hand

it finally had a problem earlier this year - PCB cracked. this was repaired expertly at Surrey Amps in Guildford and is good if not better than new

i like using pedals and its a great, clear platform - plenty loud, good tone controls

if you are thinking of this v's a Vox AC15, could i be so bold as to suggest getting the Fender first - but when you have the funds get an AC15 to run alongside? fender + vox in unison is a glorious noise

2. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

3. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Great sound and feature set for the price. But... You get what you pay for in the build. They have some quirks, such as they can blow screen grid resistors when power tubes go. That happened to me and on research, I found a number or people having similar experiences.

From what I can tell, amp modders like them and you can overcome some weaknesses of the circuit design with a few tweaks.

4. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

interesting...what changed (tone)?

5. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

Please don't say that..and amp is good or not good...an not "good for the price"

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  6. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I have an older BJ with a C Rex. It is slightly modded ... (reverb tank, bias adjustment, speaker). I had an issue with tube sockets but it was an easy fix. Over all not a bad amp.
    That said I also have a Peavey Classic 30. With the right speaker and at that price point I think the C 30 is a better amp. For a few more LBS you get a lot more IMHO. YMMV. I use both amps a lot. If I could only have one it would be the C 30. On the other hand the BJ does it's job well, which is why I still use it.

Tim S likes this.
  7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I think the name is perfect it describes exactly what the amp is, a small Blues Amp.

8. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

As long as you have to pay for it "good for the price" is extremely relevant.

NewKid and nojazzhere like this.
  9. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The tone is quite different. Sounds more traditional Fender to me compared to EL84’s.

10. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

I have two of them and I'm keeping them both!

11. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I have had and sold them a couple times. They have their merits: light weight, loud enough for bar gigs, simple to dial in, onboard reverb, master volume so you can get gain from the amp, 12" speaker, can find a used one any day of the week, takes pedals great. I always found it rather vanilla, but with pedals in front you can get it to sound however you want. People who criticize them are usually comparing them to more expensive amps.

But they also have limitations: sounds kind of smallish, does have a "boxy" sound compared to many other amps, stock speaker is kind of harsh, not much personality of its own. There is a reason you can find a used one any day of the week. People frequently "upgrade" to something better.

But if you have $400 to spend on a good used 12" tube amp, the BJ is one of the ones you would strongly consider.

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

With my old BJ ( plus the situation that I always or usually have an OD pedal ON, so this comes out, when overdriven)
    I have always felt my amp sounded ' Voxy' vs. 'Fendery' - because of the nature of the EL84's.
    The BJ is kind of a hybrid/mongrel but I love mine.

13. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I have owned: Fender Blues Junior, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, Fender Pro Junior, Peavey Classic 30, Crate V1512T, Tech 21 Trademark 30, Roland Cube 40 GX, Peavey "Cyclops" Bandit, Yorkville AM150...

I now own: Roland Blues Cube Hot, Orange Crush 35RT, Fishman LoudBox Mini BT.

I'm 66 years old. I don't gig, per se. My solid state trio keeps me happy! ;)

JayFreddy likes this.
  14. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Mine was a FSR with a Jensen P12Q. I quite like that.

As a plus, the speaker is easy to replace as it has a jack connection - also easy to run it through a different cab with the right spec instead. Depending on what cabs you have, might add a selling point.

15. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Had a 90s BJr, did BillM tone stack mods and added presence control, but never bonded with it. 'Boxy' is how it still sounded to me.

jimash likes this.
  16. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I have both the AC15 and the Bjr and they both have their strong points. Bjr is lighter, fits on a stage easier, sounds good from living-room to medium-gig levels. Builtin reverb sounds better than the AC, until you change the tank in the AC, then it's a tie. AC sounds better -- to my ear -- has two channels, tremolo, better low end due to bigger cabinet, and will handle a somewhat bigger gig / room in my experience (with the stock greenback). Oh yeah, and it weighs 50 pounds, 20 more than the Bjr and a ridiculous number for a 15-watt amp. Neither is an heirloom amp. If I had to keep one, I'd keep the AC, but I do use them both.

stnmtthw, Marc Morfei and jimash like this.
  17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Good comparison summary. Yes I ditched the BJr for an AC15 some time back. Everything is true as you said. Actually, just very recently I came into a Fender Bassbreaker that is in danger of overtaking the Vox as my #1. We'll see....

18. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I had one for awhile. It was ok, then I did a few simple mods and swapped the speaker...then it was a great amp. If you get a BJr IV, I think the mods are unnecessary. WGS ET65 sounds awesome in that amp.

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought my current BJ used on Craigslist. I’ve gigged mins for 5 years. I think they are outstanding utilitarian tube amps. I have many that cost more but the BJ is the one that I drag to most places.

About three years I put an Eminence Red White and Blues speaker in it that I bought used and nicely broken it for $49. It added bass and volume. Great affordable upgrade.

I had an AC15....it was too harsh for me and they weigh 50 pounds. If you’re going to jam at a friends house an AC15 is like moving furniture. They are surprisingly heavy. A BJ is 30 pounds. BJ on the left. Great amp.

[​IMG]

Deebs3 likes this.
  20. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Sorry - I’ve got a different opinion of the B Jr. Owned one for a few months years ago. Couldn’t stand the trebly bite and harsh sound - to my ears. Just not the tone I wanted. Got rid of it quickly and much happier with old Fenders and new Roland Cubes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.