Fender Blues Jr

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bluetelecaster, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Reviews, experience's, anyone ?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Used my 1999 Blonde BJ, since I got it used in 2000, as my #1 amp. ( actually replaced my '68 Deluxe Reverb as it weighed less- bad back!)

Done hundreds ( if not more) of Blues, R&R, and Classic Country gigs with it- no complaints.
    It has needed occasional repair/maintenance replacement parts over the years ( but have a great amp tech friend), but always has a strong, clean powerful tone.
    I actually run ( except for Classic Country) a Boss Blues Driver, always ON, to go from clean to overdrive just using my guitar Volume knob.
    Some folks don't like them, but my BJ has always worked for me.

* Kinda blurry, like me! 20190924_230840.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    djh22, P Thought, NewKid and 4 others like this.
  3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

There are reasons the Blues Junior is an extremely popular amp.
    When you look at the price/volume/size/weight/tone balance the Blues Jr has few competitors.

djh22, JuneauMike and nojazzhere like this.
  4. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

For what they deliver at that price they're hard to beat.

djh22, JuneauMike and nojazzhere like this.
  5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Its just a bit shy of clean volume for me but two of them would kill it! One Princeton (12" celestion) was always thin on stage but two creates that bass coupling thing and it was more than the some of the wattage. Just depends on your situation. sold mine but wish I had hung onto it awhile longer.

6. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Blues Jr is ok. It really is an all around amp. I was in a band with a guy who had one who plays very well and knows what he;s doing and he could get a lot out of it. But he did agree with me that my ProJr sounded better.
    The Blues Jr just seemed kind of dry and congested compared to the ProJr.l

7. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info. I've been pondering the blues Jr vs the Vox AC15 amp.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I have one and like it, but I find for gigs I use a Vox Pathfinder 15R with a 12" speaker more often. The PF has onboard tremolo, and is much lighter to cart around. In my current frame of mind I've been thinking I should sell the Blues Junior III while they are still desirable and have some value......I need (want) to get rid of stuff I have sitting around not getting used. Again, I like the BJ III, but I want to be practical.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I posted earlier,
    Love the amp, but I've NEVER liked the dang ' Blues Junior' name!
    I just don't think of those two words going together, or really meaning anything- making sense...
    But what do I know?

fatcat likes this.
  10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

The amp has one great tone. And if that's the tone you are looking for, then fine. But tone shapng has to be done at the guitar, as the tone controls on the amp are essentially useless.
    I did use mine for a couple of years, but playing anything other than my Strat through it displayed it's lack of versatility.

11. Stax1

Stax1 TDPRI Member

My Blues Jr is my go-anywhere amp and if anyone was gonna own just one smaller tube amp, I'd recommend a Blues Jr.
    I take mine to all rehearsals and gigs, unless I need something specific. They're a great sounding, simple amp. Good Fender tones, gets a bit gnarly on gain, but I like that. Super portable, and relatively indestructible. I've dropped mine on to concrete and it gets knocked around the car a bit and has never missed a trick. Also, the reverb is really lush, true Fender!

I also have an AC30CC1. The Vox AC tone is very different to a Fender HotRod (this includes the Blues Jr) tone. Neither is better/worse, but they are very different. The Blues Jr is probably a little lighter than an AC15 as well as the AC amps have heavy MDF cabinets..

Its really just a question of whether you want a british or american vibe..

nojazzhere and Skydog1010 like this.
  12. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Got rid of mine, too dang loud!

13. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I had a cool looking Blues Jr with gold tolex, supposedly it had some Bill M mods done to it, and it had a Celestion Greenback. I wish I still had it , it was great for low volume rehearsals and really sounded good cranked for some blues / rock tones.

14. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

I have the tweed version III of this amp. I have played close to 200 gigs on it. I have had to do one repair, a resistor that burned up due to a spilled beverage(lesson learned). Other than normal tube replacement that’s it for repair issues. Mine has been a very reliable, portable workhorse amp. I would be another in the event of theft or catastrophic failure. There are a few usable tones to be found and in general I’d say she’s a little screamer. I have used this amp mostly for blues, r&b and jazz gigs. Plays nice with pedals. Loves Teles and Strats. You could do worse for sure.

15. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The new version 4 is re-voiced to have a bit more of an open BF tone, while the previous version 3 had more mids, and so was a little more "tweedy" IMO.

16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have never owned one but I've played plenty of them. They are not for me, but lots of people obviously do! They are small and inexpensive but have enough power to get a nice tone at a bar gig.

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I had one and didn't like it- maybe mine was made on a Friday. It had no tone unlike the Princeton I replaced it with. Guy who bought mine loved the B jr. -oh well- each to his own.

18. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

Somehow I have 3 of them.

4pickupguy likes this.
  19. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Guitar instructor told me “if you’re going to play a Tele, you need a tube amp.” I did some research and got a
    Blues Jr. I have loved it. It doesn’t leave the house, but it’s got all the gusto I’ll ever need and makes those Tele’s sing.

57FBC658-3014-4B4A-AF13-BDB205AFBADB.jpeg

djh22, JayFreddy, NewKid and 5 others like this.
  20. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I play through a very modded 6V6 powered Jr. It has been great since I rebuilt it 5 years ago. My wife plays through an original 90’s Jr that I’ve tweaked over the years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.