Fender Blues Jr.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by chet again, May 21, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

There's a used one for sale that I'm interested in. I'm thinking I should go for it rather than the Vox AC10 cause I already have the AC15.

Thoughts on the Blues Jr.

BTW- I had a couple of Blues Jr's over ten years ago so I know how they sound etc.

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Fender sells a ton of them for a reason....they sound good, lightweight, and strong enough for the stage. I see no reason not to consider one as I still have mine which was my first amp back in the mid-90's.

studio1087 likes this.
  3. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Depends on the condition of it. They run hot so they can suffer from circuit board degradation.

I’ve had two. The first, a version III, was sold to me as new but it was a 30 day return where the amp was likely cranked at the start without care for seating the speaker; harsh, ice pick trebles, no smooth distortion, lots of headroom.

The 2nd one I currently have is another version III, also purchased new, almost seems like a completely different amp - smooth volume taper, super sweet cleans, probably softer output tubes.

Both are boxy when turned up as you know but pack a punch w/ strong midrange output.

4. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

What about the latest versions?

5. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Version IV is a darker amp, more forgiving and with smoother transition to overdrive. I think it’s been highly successful so far.

I had the choice between version IV and version III (new old stock) and went with the latter for the bright, sparkling clean which rewards precise touch for at-home practice. I like it bright - it doesn’t let me get away with mistakes and is what makes it a pro level amp.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the latest version of the BJr, but I would definitely go with a new one in box, not a demo/floor model.

Just my 2 cents.

6. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I like mine and the sound is pretty good, but a screen grid resistor blew when the power tube died. They aren’t the most robust things electronically, I hear. But the spring reverb is quite nice and it has that Fender vibe on a budget.

7. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I bought one of the new tweed ones early last summer, due to the ability to achieve breakup at bedroom levels. I traded it for an Excelsior early this year. I know you have a history with them, but I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone.

8. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

I can't speak for the latest iteration of the Blues Junior (v. IV), as I've only played prior versions (from green board to v. III), and currently own a creamboard Blues Jr. I find it to be very usable at home (although I now tend to rely more often on a Yamaha THR5 for that purpose), for rehearsals with band, and small gigs (bars, small clubs as far as I'm concerned). When needed, it's mic'd.
    More importantly, it has been modified according to basic Billm mods (tone stack, power stiffening, and bias mod) : those are inexpensive and improved dramatically the sound of my Blues Jr. It cured my GAS for another (and more costly) model.

Milspec likes this.
  9. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I can’t speak for the latest iteration which, by all accounts, seems to be an improvement. I had a iii which sounded pretty good clean and broke up ok naturally or when pushed in the front with od. The master volume, otoh, was rubbish.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a version III that I gigged for three years. It is an absolute utilitarian trooper tube amp. Weighs less that 30 pounds and could bury our drummer (clean). Fits on the backseat floor of my Passat - easy to live with. I've never had a hard time getting a full sound from it. I don't agree with the boxy thing. They have a three band EQ - just use it.

They are nice at home and you can play in a band with them. I've bought two of the used. I'm never parting with my BJ or Pro Junior. The little engines that could!

We used to play in a bar with a house PA but the owner only mic'd the kick drum and vocals. Blues Junior (me) Bassman (our bass player) and the big Marshall stack owner by our other guitar player. Dan (our bass player) and I never had a problem keeping up with Mr. Halfstack.

Go for it!

[​IMG]

marcflores likes this.
  11. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I've owned the original green board and a "III" model....both good amps with the 3 coming with a better speaker stock. The only real objection I have with Blues Jr amps are that they are biased really hot which tends to eat tubes faster than similar amps. Oddly, the power tubes hold up, but it seems to be a preamp tube most of the time that dies early...opposite of what I have experienced in most tube amps.

12. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

3D054296-25C6-4AB8-8A01-6ACE01D0B99A.png Mateus Asato toured with Tori Kelly using Blues Jrs.

studio1087 likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Had mine ( a well-worn Blonde one) as main gig amp since 2000.
    Done hundreds of gigs with mine, (Country/R&R/Blues), and it has needed occasionally maintenance ( parts, tubes, just got a new PT) but I have a great tech friend to keep it going...pretty much a perfect portable amp for me.

studio1087 likes this.
  14. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm a long time fan of Jr's. We currently have three of them around. Two are green boards, one revision B the other revision C. The Revision B amp is the sweetest sounding amp. My wife plays through it all the time. The Revision C amp is a darker. I've been playing through a Cream board amp that I converted to run on 6V6 power tubes. I have modded all of the amps to have adjustable bias, power stiffening, revised tone stacks and whatever else I've thought to do.

studio1087 and Milspec like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.