Fender Blues Jr. vs Vox AC15 vs Fender Super Sonic 22

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BlazOfAllPeople, Aug 26, 2017.

1. BlazOfAllPeople

BlazOfAllPeople TDPRI Member

The title says it all, which of these amps do you think is the best? I play at home at low volumes, and am looking more for clean amps. I plan to get gain from pedals later.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

All way more than you need for home use. AC10 or Princeton Reverb reissue especially for cleans. Even they are very loud amps.

3. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

1. Don't have any experience with the Vox.
    2. I really don't like the supersonic - its an amp that looks like a fender but doesn't act like one IMHO. I just don't get it.
    3. I have a blues Jr which is a great little amp
    4. But...for about the same amount of $$ as the supersonic and with about the same power you could have a Deluxe Reverb... which is what I think is the best.

4. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I've had the Blues Jr and the Vox, and for me, its the AC15 hands down. The Blues Jr is great if you are looking for that bright Fender-y sound, but the Vox sound just matches me and my playing style perfectly. All personal preference, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

One thing I want to mention is that the Vox ships with Chinese junk tubes that will fail within a year, so if you plan to buy one, I suggest budgeting an extra $60-$80 and getting a decent set of JJ's off of Reverb or something, and swap them out right off the bat. Like the first day you have it. Seriously, the stock tubes are hot garbage in an otherwise great amp.

I have no experience with the Super Sonic, so I won't say anything about it.

5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Supersonic 22 for me.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Vox AC4, or for a "Fender" inspired tone VHT Special 6.

Il Duce and xland like this.
  7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

The SS22 outclasses the others, as it should at about twice the price. But the gain in the SS sounds great. Reverb on the Super Sonic 22 is also a step above the others.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  8. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Idk, the AC15 and the Blues Jr both have master volumes. I would rather have the volume and not need it than need it and not have it. I just find the AC10 to sound "thin" compared to the AC15- probably due to speaker size.

And I'm an outlier on this board in that I really dislike the sound of blackface Fender amps, so I'm not going to discuss the pros and cons of the Princeton reverb. I can't do it objectively. ;)

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got an AC15. It's a great amp, regardless of the price. Beautiful cleans and organic break up. Not Fendery at all though. I think it sounds a lot better than my friend's Blues Jr, which IMO doesn't sound Fendery either.

I know nothing about the Super Sonic.

10. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

the blues jr is typical fender stuff except it has El84 so the clean tones are not the typical fender clean. It's a great amp but I find it a bit boxy and I don't like it that much. I upgraded mine lowering the bias and it helped a bit. Still not my favorite clean amp.

Vox AC15 wonderful amp but so heavy. It is loud, too, but it's a classic. You can't hate it. Vox clean. you like it or not. I like it. it's great with jazzmasters, strats and teles.

Fender super sonic is more modern in terms of tones. I think it's too heavy, too, and too expensive for what it is. It's great for post rock or grunge or alt rock, though. For me, it's the less versatile of the list.

I've tried the three listed amps. It's just my opinion. Now, as I was looking for clean, too, I bought a roland blues cube hot. It's perfect for clean tones and I think it sounds much better than the jr.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.