1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Blues Jr IV vs Vox AC15C1 - Better Pedal Platform?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by omahaaudio, Mar 8, 2021.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking of one of these amps but I am a pedal-lovin' guy, so which one does the panel think works best with pedals (Carcosa, OD-3, Klone, Rat, Dumkudo, Black Box 2)?
    Thanks.

2. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Afflicted

They'll both be fine pedal platforms. AC15 is heavy. I'd go for the bj.

Chiogtr4x and JuneauMike like this.
  3. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I've never played through an AC15, but I do own the Blues Jr IV. If there is such a thing as weight-to-loudness ratio (that is, how light it is for the volume on tap), I think the BJ would be among the best. My old man back appreciates it.

4. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

PHRASING!

5. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

If you're going to move it around much, weight is a factor. If not, the AC15C1 is a great sounding amp.

driver8 and davidchagrin like this.
  6. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

From what I have read, people who complain about the AC15 as a pedal platform are using the top boost channel. Supposedly the normal channel is the one to use with pedals.

7. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

My AC15C1 has proven to be a superb pedal platform and willing partner in crime for anything I've wanted to do. It is, however, on the heavy side as others have said. Vox claims 48 lbs, mine checked in at 49.2 on a bathroom scale. Whether or not this is a deal breaker is up to you. I personally went with the Vox because it retained more of an open sound at high volume while the Blues Jr started to sound boxy in my opinion. That shouldn't be an issue if you're not pushing it.

8. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I've used a pair of Jr's in situations where most people would think +/- 40 watts and had plenty.
    I own a Vox AC 15. It's heavy.

9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Just my finding,
    it seems easier ( with its Master Volume/Volume knob interaction) to get a little breakup with my old BJ ( at low/moderate volume) than with with my buddy's AC 15 ( a newer RI)- the AC 15 is loud, but sounds good!
    And the AC is heavier, too.
    So my vote goes to the BJ ( but I've played one for 20 years)

( we both own and LOVE our Pathfinders!)

10. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I think that had to do with the bright caps. Both channels have them, but they play a greater role on the top boost channel. Snipping out those caps makes it a much better amp.

To answer the original question, I'd say that the Vox is the better amp overall, but the BJ might be the better pedal platform, and is much more convenient to carry, as others have mentioned.

(But TONE needs some WEIGHT I say! )

Marc Morfei likes this.
  11. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've owned both, a few BJrs actually, but neither currently. Especially with stock speakers, I'd pick the BJr as a pedal platform. IME the AC15's voicing and Greenback can combine to make some OD/distortion sound pretty harsh.

On their own, I think the BJr is just OK and like an AC15 a lot better. Also as mentioned, unfortunately the AC15C1 is a nice sounding (and cheap, used) amp screwed to about 500 pounds of Asian MDF. Nothing to do with the tone OP asked about, but may turn out to matter for some players. The BJr's MDF too but smaller and packaged more efficiently.

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got an AC15C1 and the problem is some pedals don't jive with it. If you want distortion, you pretty much need a Rat. I've also got a chorus that sounds all wonky through it too, so I kinda have a different set of pedals for it. The weight - it's 48 lbs. I sold a 65 lb 2 x 12" combo to get it, so at least for me it's manageable to lug, especially considering what it replaced.

Blues Jr. on the other hand is pretty straightforward as a pedal platform.

13. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Thanks to all. Given the weight thing I'll probably go for the Fender.

14. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

How about a DRRI?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.