1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Blues Deluxe RI TOOOOBS

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by StuartJames, Feb 26, 2021.

1. StuartJames

StuartJames Tele-Meister

I’ve been finding my BD a bit bloated in the bass and struggling to get a good clean tone at band volumes. It has a Cannabis Rex speaker. I use it as a clean platform with pedals. I run the bass on zero usually.

The last couple of weeks I’ve been trying the drive channel with master fully cranked and turn up the drive to desired volumes. This sounds pretty good and I can roll back vol on guitar for decent cleans. All that excess bass disappear in the drive channel

Today I replaced the V1 12ax7 tube with a 12ay7. This is a pretty remarkable improvement for the clean channel , way more balanced and better control over the volume. However the drive channel, while still sounding decent, has very little gain unless fully dimmed. This is to be expected by from adding a lower gain tube I guess

Is there any tube combinations that would get me best of both worlds? I haven’t experimented with putting the 12ay7 in the other positions yet. Is there any value doing this? Could a tube change in v2 help the get a touch of gain back?
    Cheers

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Where are you setting treble? People don't realise but treble in the FMV tone stack acts like a global gain control for mids and bass. Much past 5-6 you can find bass falling apart unless it is dropped way low.

Try using a 12AT7 or 5751 in V1. That will still get the gain drop to make clean better, but also keep range in your drive control.

StuartJames likes this.
  3. StuartJames

StuartJames Tele-Meister

I usually set it in the 5-7 window

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.