Fender Blues Deluxe Cream of Wheat

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by newyork, Jan 28, 2020.

1. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

Any opinions on this amp? Local shop has one used in pristine shape for $600. I was going to get a new Princeton but it looks like the guitar I’m selling won’t fetch as much as I thought.
    I’ll be doing occasional one man shows, jamming, writing and recording with it. I’ll play clean a lot but get an OD pedal for overdubs and solos.

2. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Hhmmm...

• It's a FSR, Fender special run and looks cool
    • It has a plywood cab
    • it has a Jensen P12Q Alnico speaker
    I'd be tempted at that price. :cool:

3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Do you have to have the special run? If not, I would think you could do better than $600.

schmee likes this.
  4. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

You only live once...go for it!

5. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

They're quite rare, only 149 here in Europe. re-sale will be easy...I guess.

Fender-Blues-Deluxe-Cream-of-Wheat-Limited-Edition_0640.jpg

Deathray likes this.
  6. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

I don’t need a special run at all. Really wanted a DR or PR but it isn’t happening sadly. He’s also got a butterscotch vintera that isn’t happening either lol

7. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

I I've had several, in tweed, good amps. I liked to put JBL speakers in them. I sold/traded them to get my Twin and VibroDeluxe Reverb, but the JBLs, E120-8 and 2 D110Fs REALLY looked killer in the BDs. 20180817_110157.jpg

8. corliss1

I would think if you're patient and don't HAVE to have something today, you could find a PRRI in the 600-700 range.

newyork likes this.
  9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I got a tweed BD for $350 a while back. Cool amp, but I like that oatmeal color much better.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'd not buy it myself for your needs. The PR is better in almost every way at a low(er) volume IMO. A bandmate has one and it's ..... bright and brittle with meh solid-state reverb. Not much Blues about it.

Your money but it's too much amp for what you need.

Deathray and newyork like this.
  11. Stax1

Stax1 TDPRI Member

They look great, and are basically the regular Blues Deluxe (similar to a Hotrod Deluxe) but with a better (subjective) speaker, and different clothes.

The Blues Deluxe vs Hotrod Deluxe is a common question - Most prefer the Blues Deluxe as it is a little warmer and less gainy. Overall they're very similar amps though.

How much is a new/used Hotrod Deluxe IV in the USA these days? That might be another option. The IV version has a tweaked circuit design from previous HRD models, better (lighter) cab, and is otherwise vastly similar. It'll be the black tolex though.

EDIT - Oh wait, just get a Blues Jr! If you don't need 40w, go for the Blues Jr. Used they're around 300-400 USD from memory. Much more portable too.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  12. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

The Blues JR is an idea. I’d just need a couple pedals and be done. Do they have spring reverb?
    If the BD is kinda meh and very similar to the HRD, why get the HRD? The new circuit makes it sound better?

13. corliss1

Blues Jr has spring reverb. All hot rods are not tube-driven reverb. Doesn't mean it's digital, just uses analog ICs to handle that portion of the circuit.

A lot of people like the changes in the IV series to the Hot Rods. "better" is up to you to decide, but HR Deluxes and Blues Juniors are out there by the millions.

FenderGuy53 and newyork like this.
  14. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

I’m considering a Milkman the Amp and a pair of headphones and OD pedal as a change of direction. I’ll buy a cab in the future.
    Idk. Maybe

15. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Read Stax1's post, #11.

16. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

Meaning get the Blues JR?

17. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Read the plate on the back. If it says "Made in Mexico", I would avoid it like the plague & look for "Made in USA" model.
    The "Made in Mexico" amps have cheap circuit boards that expand too fast with heat cycles, and something about the tin content in Mexican solder,because of no regulations there...they break solder joints with expansion, and you will be re-soldering tube socket connections & other stuff every few gigs. Ask me how I know!

18. corliss1

I've seen the mexico vs usa comment before, but they are literally the exact same amp. I don't experience any differences when working on one versus the other, and Hot Rods are one of the most common amps to come into the shop because there are zillions of them out there.

Also, anything old enough to be made in USA at this point is also in need a full service as I think the transition was 1996.

Ess Eff and stevemc like this.
  19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They are good sounding amps. LOUD amp. Keep that in mind. As mentioned, if you dont need a special run I would think you can get one far less $.

20. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a MIM BD and it developed issues (wouldnt stay clean above 3, and not in a good way) that not even a Fender warranty tech could solve. A friend has the same amp (with a Cannabis Rex) and it's going great, so there's always good ones and not so good ones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.