Fender Blackface 6G3 Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by zozoe29, Nov 14, 2019.

1. zozoe29

zozoe29 TDPRI Member

Hi all...
    I'm looking at an amp for sale that is advertised as a 6G3 model, not to be confused with the following AB763 Deluxe, that has separate bass & treble for each channel. This all Black Deluxe has the same chassis controls and tube layout as the legendary Brown 6G3 Deluxe, but I can't seem to find any info on a BF Deluxe with 6G3 details. Anyone know the scoop on this baby?
    Thanks in advance!
    Kenny

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Hmm, the 6G2 came in a well-known, late, transitional, black “tuxedo” color scheme. Did the 6G3 too?

Or is it an early BF Deluxe-Amp (non-reverb), which isn’t a 6g3.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    cnlbb and theprofessor like this.
  3. zozoe29

zozoe29 TDPRI Member

It looks like this amp, but the control layout is that of a Brown 6G3 Deluxe. Here's one tranny pic... I can't seem to cross-reference either stamped #.....

Attached Files:

4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Are you sure it's not brown? Or maybe it's been painted black? I've never heard of a BF 6G3.

5. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Back in the day brown amps were occasionally painted black to look more modern (unfortunately). My 63 6G12A Concert received that horrible treatment and the only fix was a complete recover. John Lennon once even painted a Tweed narrow panel Deluxe black and put metal corner protectors on it.

The Brown faceplate is quite dark which can be mistaken for black in some photos.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  6. zozoe29

zozoe29 TDPRI Member

It's definitely been recovered in black. The guy isn't responding so quickly to emails.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That PT is dated to the ?28th? week of 1962. More pics of a close inspection would be necessary to know for sure, but that date would be very early for an amp that fit into the ‘tuxedo’ transitional time frame when black tolex covered some 6G amps.
    IF your discussions about the amp continue, you might ask to see the staples used for the grille cloth. If they are black, then that might be a basis for deeper investigation. Imho, this is an amp that I would have to see in person before buy8ng in order to ‘vet’ the cab...and the rest of the amp. Or....the seller would have to be very upfront with pictures and explanations...preferably in their initial sales offering. Anyone who knows vintage amps and wanted to establish a claim of authenticity would exhibit all aspects of an ‘odd’ amp that does not fit neatly into known parameters for such an amp, ime.

8. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, there was no blackface transition 6G3. Don't pay a premium for a recovered amp.

9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Also, some of the Brown Faceplates were very nearly black. I had two Brown Vibroluxes once and one of them was that way. Does the amp in question have brown knobs or traditional BF knobs?

10. zozoe29

zozoe29 TDPRI Member

The amp has what seem to be brown barrel knobs. If I new things were kosher inside the amp, I wouldn't be concerned about the possibility of a re-cover and/or repro body. And, the price must be right, but as I said, the seller is not responding so quickly to interrogation. For some reason, this style amp has made it on to my short bucket list. From someone who used to own 40-50 amps at one time, now wakes up to 2, I'm not asking for too much!?
    I agree with all of you!!

King Fan likes this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think the cabinet is a repro, since it's got the proper sticker inside.

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Lennon's defaced amplifier from the Hamburg days was a Vibrolux. It is still in the possession of his cousin, to whom it was gifted in the mid-1960s.

It's an easy mistake to make since tweed Deluxe and Vibrolux used the same cabinet, apart from the speaker size.

chezdeluxe likes this.
  13. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

:) Yep, I'm thinking both the 6G3 tube chart *and* the black overspray on it may be clues. Is he showing you any gut shots, or pics at least of the speaker.

Wally likes this.
  14. Wally

upload_2019-11-15_13-47-32.png

The date code there is LL from what my old eyes can see....December, 1962. And is that black spray paint there???? Has he sent you any gut shots?

15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

If it's a good price .... BUY IT! they are one of the best amps out there. And hold up far better than a Princeton Reverb in a band mix.
    Yep, over spray obvious. We did that back in the late 60's . Had a BLonde Bassman I did it to! UGH! :( Wonder if Goof Off gets you back to brown?
    Someone on the Weber pages years ago got a Brown Concert (I think) that was black. Took him a very long tedius time to get it back to brown but he did. But that one seemed to be more difficult than some are. Goof Off and a plastic bristle brush. A dab at a time, dont saturate for too long.

16. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Okay, the original cabinet looks to be painted black. Now ask for gut shots and a picture of the output transformer. If the rest checks out, then I would make an offer. As others have said, you can remove the black spray paint. It will take some time but it will be worth it.

Wally likes this.
  17. Wally

I know a fellow who bought what turned out to be a very early 6G12 center volume Concert that ended up being written up in Vintage Guitar 25 years ago. The amp was painted black when he got it. He tried various things. Finally, he tried some machinist’s cutting oil....and that black paint came right off. The type of paint that was used dictates what will remove it...if anything will.

18. zozoe29

zozoe29 TDPRI Member

Cool info, all. I shall cautiously proceed as I wait to hear from mystery seller.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.