1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Big Dipper

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Janitor Julius, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Janitor Julius

Janitor Julius Tele-Holic

Is it possible to "scoop the mids" using just pickup construction and winding? I have a sneaking suspicion that these p/u's are more aptly "Big Rippers". Har.

2. MrDJoers

MrDJoers Tele-Holic

Probably a question for the real winders on here bit it seem like it is possible. Chris Klein makes a big dipper style strat pup. Plus, it depends how much of the mids are cut out before you call it scooped. Maybe something closer to a flat EQ rather than an enhanced midrange.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It is totally possible to voice a pickup pretty much any way you want. Types of magnets, winding technique, the gauge of wire used, all result in different sounds. Somebody who really knows how to wind pickups could wind you ten or twenty strat pickups that all look basically the same, and sound vastly different.

As for the big dippers, I can say this- they don't sound like any other pickup in any other strat. I am half on the lookout for a good deal on a used Mayer strat. After playing that guitar, I really want those pickups, and everytime I check, Fender will not sell them seperately.

4. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

I have to say this - I had a '60s style Strat with a rosewood neck. I had a Dimarzio Area 67 in the middle. That thing nailed John's tone - imagine what it'd sound like in the neck! The closest I've found so far...

5. ShortBuSX

ShortBuSX Tele-Holic

Im curious about those Klein S-5s...anybody got a set of these???
    Reviews? Opinions???

6. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

While those are great pups (the Big Dippers) and every Mayer strat I've played, sounded stellar (mostly through the much hated Hot Rod Dlx at Guitar Centers), the pups in his "Black One" relic are the cat's ass !!! Those pups are the biggest gear mystery I've encountered...most informed opinions I've read that they are lower output version of the Custom Shop Relic 60's strat pups...ymmv.

7. ShortBuSX

ShortBuSX Tele-Holic

Funny thing is, the music I like by him and the sound I am after is before "the black one". Like the SRV with the red tort guard.

8. ShortBuSX

ShortBuSX Tele-Holic

Strange there isnt much in the way of reviews out there, very limited, there are some but they kinda read like theyre planted. The videos on youtube are meh...but since these KlienS-5s are supposed to be the closest thing to the Big Dippers, I will take my chances, the money has been sent...its all over but the waitin :D

9. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I'd be interested to know what you think of them. Post a review when you get them up and running. Thanks in advance. :cool:

10. ShortBuSX

ShortBuSX Tele-Holic

I certainly will!
    I expect them here in the next week.
    I'll probably wait till the weekend to do the install.

11. Janitor Julius

I was watching the Mayer's Live at Abbey Road session and there was a shot of the back of the "Black One's" headstock during "Belief" that showed some sort of decal or printing. It didn't appear to be the standard CS logo... it looked more like just some text... I'll have to rewatch it and see if I can make it out.

12. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

I've got one of those in the neck on mine! Awesome! Here's what it sounds like with some overdrive thru a Marshall MG100HDFX:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=7519041&q=hi

13. Janitor Julius

Rewatched it on youtube. Still can't tell. It's awfully grainy. It looks like there's something there but it may just be an artifact in the video rendering. Does anybody know if this guitar is relic'd or is it actually vintage? Maybe a more giggable CS repro of a more valuable original?

14. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

I heard it too...

15. b3john

b3john TDPRI Member

Apologies for digging up an old zombie post, but...

I'm curious what you decided about the Klein S-5 pups? Did you ever get them installed? Since they are basically being sold as Big Dipper clones, how close are they?

Thanks,

John

16. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Tele-Holic

the overdriven tones are more like hendrix tone.kind of fuzzy but can sound good

17. b3john

b3john TDPRI Member

Thanks!

Hmmm...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.