1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Bassman

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by RunPickle, Jul 4, 2014.

1. RunPickle

RunPickle TDPRI Member

Dang, Muchxs, how'd I miss your first post... My bad. Maybe I've been kidding myself and the Twin Reverb is the way to go. If I run guitar into a 2x12 and the bass vi into a 1x15, could the twin reverb handle both? This might be the stupidest question ever, but think of it as me giving all of you something to laugh at today. Haha.

2. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

its a sad commentary on human physique! :D
    we'll happily shell out thousands to get that perfect tone... but lift over 50 lbs?! :eek: the horror! on the plus side, your shop will always be busy with people trying to get twin reverb tones outta little princetons!

even more than the weight though, i blame the PA. sound guys dont want to fuss with giant power houses like the twin. they want bedroom amps on stage that can be dialed into the PA without any bleed through to other mics. it sounds great in the audience... but its hard to rock out when you're playing whisper-quiet through a 12 watter :rolleyes:

asking prices are much different than selling prices. i've got a couple twins on my local CL asking $800. in the 90's, that might've worked. these days, $600 is about the most they'll get for a silverface twin. more often closer to $500

the 50 watt bassmans can still be had in the $400 range, but again, with half the watts and none of the reverb/trem options. in my opinion, the bassman is an entirely different sound than the classic fender clean. there's more growl and girth to the tone. i like it... but there's a reason they get overlooked so much in the fender crowd.

you cant go wrong with either though

3. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

4. bparnell57

5. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Without getting into the tech stuff and the whys you all know how much I hate Marshall's. That said I can say that I have owned two Fender Bassman and they were both excellent guitar amps. One was a '59 and the other was a 67? I believe. They were a pain the ass to carry around though. If I was 20 something instead of 60 something I just might go back to using them except they were sold a very long time ago. In the world of electric guitars and amplifiers, where is an ass for every seat ... play what you like and like what you play.

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Check out Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band.

The Reverend is running a relatively complicated setup for a seemingly simple band. His guitar is going into a PRRI, a WeberVST Deluxe Reverb clone and a 150 watt Fender Rumble Bass amp. Can't argue with the results, though. The small tube amps provide clarity to the "guitar" part of his tone while the Rumble holds down the bottom end.

Bass player? What bass player? :cool:

James McMurtry plays "Levelland" on his Dano clone baritone. Pretty sure it's his Lab L5 providing the bottom end on that one.

So yeah, you can play bass through a guitar amp like a Twin Reverb. You'll end up with a mean rig if you stack a Twin on top of a ported bass cabinet with a 15" speaker.

Your pedal steel player will still die of jealousy. :lol:

Grab it! That's the earlier non- reverb Showman but still a screaming deal for a '60s Fender tube amp. That's a good amp to practice your amp repair skills on.

7. bparnell57

Well, if it's still for sale when I get back from my week long trip to the beach, I'll think about it... I only got one shift from work this whole month, so I'm hurting, but if I sold some gear and some of the valuable vintage stuff I've collected, I might scrape up the funds.

8. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

I'd grab that Showman in a heartbeat. If the OP wants to play bass through his amp as well, a Showman is a much better option than the AB165 Bassman.

Bob

9. bparnell57

Sigh, I guess it's probably worth it for me to sell my Excelsior Pro, some NOS recording tape, maybe even my danelectro tweed widow maker amp... Or I could just hit my bank account.... Hehehe. I don't know guys. Are the magnetic components inc "classictone" transformers okay, or would finding an old PA amp pull on eBay be better? You guys have me seriously considering buying this thing when I get back...

10. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

im a big fan of the classictone stuff. great product for a low price.

i'd be concerned that the output transformer was the only thing wrong with that amp though. but like muchXs said... itd be a great platform to jump into. lots of wiggle room inside those old fenders

11. bparnell57

I suspect the tubes may be blown and maybe some burnt resistors too, so I emailed the guy asking for pics and details.

12. Kennedycaster

Blackface Showmans are easy enough to work on. Changing caps & a handful of resistors is nothing. $250 is really a no-brainer. If you want it to sound its best though, you should eventually get a 1X15 tone-ring cabinet for it. Beaver Bottoms makes a great repro cab. If you can't find a JBL D130F, load it with a Weber California or an Emminence Commonwealth. The sound is so full & dynamic. Much better & more versatile than a Twin. They really have a low end punch when using the tone-ring cabinet. Oh yeah, loud as heck too! For reverb, nothing beats a Fender reverb unit through a Showman. Sure, a reverb pedal will work, but nothing compares to a stand alone unit.

Bob

13. bparnell57

Yep, I think a point to point/terminal board blackface fender will be a good place to start working, but once I add up getting an output transformer, caps, tubes, and either buying an old fender cab or just any suitable cab, it adds up to a lot of money to tie up in a piece of gear, considering I'm a 17 year old... I could unload some cheap guitars and an amp or two, and sell some stuff I've been waiting to sell on eBay, but yeah, I want to buy it. Now I'm just waiting for the craigslist guy to reply to my email... It's been a day... And the ad was from a month ago... So it may be sold

14. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

a non-verb showman, even a blackface, wouldn't fetch more than $600 these days. i don't know if its really that great of a deal. in your case however, you can "pay installments" by buying the broken amp... then buying an output transformer... etc... until its all running right. thats a pretty unique opportunity for a broke teenager to work his way up to a blackface fender.

soo... did you buy it yet!?

15. bparnell57

In my area they can catch about 800 in mint shape... People have insane asking prices too... And with 250 for the amp, $110 or so for an output transformer, caps, and various parts, and then 50-60 bucks for a cheap set of new production output tubes, I could do it for a little over 400 to 425. Then I could probably find a nice used generic fender cab for 50-100 unloaded (thats what ive seen for some reason) and grab some vintage organ speakers or webers. I could just drop some gear and hit my bank account and buy a silverface twin or something like that, but I love working on amps and a showman would be right up my alley... I love those dick dale type tones... And you can't beat a showman for surfy tones... But THE GUY HASN'T REPLIED TO MY EMAIL YET!!!! This is why I like ads with phone numbers. I'll probably email again in a day or two, as I'm still on vacation at the beach and wouldn't be able to buy it until next week anyways.

16. Kennedycaster

That's the truth! Here's a pic of our surf band with two Showmans onstage. I'm in front of my '65 on the right, & our other guitarist is in front of his '66 on the left, which he re-covered in blonde tolex. Surf heaven! Also, a complete Showman set-up with the 1x15 JBL tone-ring cab will fetch between $1300-$1600 in my neck of the woods. A head only, in good shape, will bring $600-$800 tops, so I still think $250 is a steal for one with issues. However, it sounds like it may already be gone.:( Sorry.....
    [​IMG]

Bob

17. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

There are very few cons to these amps..maaayybe they can be a little dark with certain guitars..I have a 1960 5f6A and a 1966 with matching cab and the original C12N speakers..if you get a good one you don't miss the reverb at all..and if you do just get a pedal..I would strongly suggest you don't mod the thing with all these fancy "my amp can do it all" mods..these do what they do extremely well a tube screamer of your choice and a good guitar and you are there. Gigged my 1960 last night, dead flat no reverb with a screamer and I was over the moon..the 66 is a close second and maybe better at certain things..

18. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

Bass Player is kinda ugly ! ;>}

19. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

First (and maybe I missed it reading the thread - some posts were very long). This one is long too and for some reasons.

What are you using now, what kind of music do you play, do you play at home or gig, if with a band how many other players, what are they using (especially any other guitarists and the bass player), and how loud are they (Especially the drummer), how loud *can* you play and (because either way it will likely be used at home part of the time) do you live in a house, apartment and with others or alone?

ALL of this makes a difference. Without answers to most of them nobody truly has a clue whether a Bassman is perfect, mediocre, or useless.

And - are you prepared to budget an additional $250 (+/- a hundred or so) to have whatever tube amp you *do* buy serviced immediately?

Almost all tube amp sellers know nothing about what they are selling except that it's in "good condition" (physically) and maybe "sounds good" - which is *meaningless*.

An amp that sounds *perfect* can be a bomb waiting to go off. I have serviced many "newly purchased" amps that blew within weeks, days...or hours. With expensive consequences. Unless you're a qualified tech, budget the extra money and no matter what (unless the seller can provide proof of recent, qualified service) don't turn it on when you take it home - drive straight to the tech.

Otherwise you could spend a *lot* more. Parts like transformers - which can jibe ruined if inexpensive filter capacitors fail (and they do) are expensive.

Well - sort of. It will not sound anything like an amp run nearly wide open, though - and if the speakers are engineered for headroom, you'll be even further behind the tonal 8-ball.

You have to be able to play loud enough to at least get the speakers to open up - and that's LOUD. Even then you won't have any speaker breakup, which is a very important part of smooth "amp distortion". No matter which unit you use (and I've tested tons of them) IMO they're not close to the real thing - and at "reasonable volume" they fall WAY short.

Only if you can REALLY play loud. In reality there's not that much volume difference between the two - the Bassman has less gain and will be a bit warmer - but a Twin sounds louder to the human ear because it runs cleaner. The perceived volume is *much* higher, even though an SPL meter will read fairly close.

Neither is best for most small clubs - and certainly not for home use. Unless you play large venues with a loud band you probably won't be able to run either one loud enough to get full frequency response - and then only with fairly inefficient speakers. If you run speakers that are intended for clean playing you'll really have to run loud to open them up.

But - again, none of this may be relevant unless put in context of the things I first mentioned.

20. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I have a 6g6b Blonde Bassman clone by Lil Dawg.....twang and bang!

I use my Bassvi with mine for recording all the time...I don't use it at gigging volume so your mileage may vary there....

But the Bassmen have a big sound that comes from big glass and big xfrmrs....imo.

I have lots of amps and the Bassman is one of 3 that I simply cannot do without.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.