1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender/Bassman Date Code Question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RockinCarl, Sep 10, 2010.

1. RockinCarl

RockinCarl Tele-Afflicted

I have read two different ways of dating a Fender amp. One site says to date by the stamped letters on the tube chart, and then another website says to read the numbers stamped on the back of the chassis. Which is correct, or are they both?

My tube chart reads "QD" meaning 1967/April, and the back of the chassis reading A 14467, which means 1965... Could that possibly mean my chassis is a '65 and the cab is a '67?

Thanks!

2. Dave Hopping

Dave Hopping Friend of Leo's

The 2 letter date code on the tube chart shows when the amp was assembled.The stamping on the chassis relates to that component's manufacture.It's not unusual to have differing component dates on Fender amps and guitars-I have an original Strat with a DEC 63 neck date and August '64 pickup dates.Assuming all the components in a piece are original the newest date is the one accepted as the date of manufacture.

3. Raybob

Raybob Tele-Meister

There are also date codes on the back of the pots as well as codes on the transformers. These can be looked up in the "Tube Amp Book" by Aspen Pittman.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.