Fender Bassbreaker 15 or Marshall DSL15C

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by waltschwarzkopf, Aug 7, 2018.

Which one should I get?

1. Fender Bassbreaker 15

2. Marshall DSL15C

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. waltschwarzkopf

waltschwarzkopf Tele-Meister

Hi guys,

This is a quick one. I'm looking for an additional amp in combo version and after looking at the classifieds I found these:

Fender Bassbreaker 15
    Marshall DSL15C

Both are within my budget, but I've only tried the Fender. I really like how it sounds and it's closer to where I live. The Marshall is discontinued, so I haven't tried it. But I did own a Marshall in the past (15W solid-state) and was great, although I may not compare at all with this one. I've read some bad reviews at about the Marshall lead channel, saying that it's too heavy and fuzzy, but there are some mods (which I'd be willing to make) that make it sound great. The Fender is single-channel and sounds great IMO and the structure knob re-shapes the tone to what I mostly play.

What do you say? Any experience with either of the amps? After negotiating the price I may get the Fender for about 300 bucks, the Marshall is the same price but I'm hoping to bring it down.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Walter

2. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

I tried the DSL once for a band practice and it just didn’t have the punch to mix in well, we all agreed it sounded ‘weak’. The Blues Jr I tried did work, so I’d lean to the BassBreaker.

Then again i have local stores that will rent me pretty much anything I want to try, which is when I can do a real test and not just in store demo.

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I thought the Marshall DSL15 combo was hampered by a wholly unsuitable speaker and passed it by when amp shopping. The clean channel was OK, the ultra-gain was just not to my liking, but everyone has different tastes.
    It seemed almost asthmatic, weak and distant. The head through a 1x12" was different. The cleans had punch and drive. Still didn't like the ultra gain though.
    I did like the Bassbreaker I tried. The maximum gain side of things was not to my taste, but the clean and first gain position were rather nice.
    I'd go Bassbreaker of the two.
    Maybe a speaker swap would bring the Marshall into the picture, but the Bassbreaker doesn't need it from the outset.

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That BB15 is a pretty cool little amp. I particularly liked the 3 different flavors of overdrive. Reverb wasn’t bad either. $300 is a great price too.

If I were looking at a DSL it would be the newer 20w head.

5. MitchMiami

MitchMiami Tele-Meister

I use and like the dsl15 h not the c and it sounds much better through four or eight speakers than a single 12”. I use my 196k IMG_1188.JPG a 4x12 Marshal cab and / or my 1965a 4x10 Marshall cab all the time. Some axes sound better with the 12’s mostly humbucker guitars and some sound better with 10’s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.