Fender Bassbreaker 007 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Scaper2014, May 1, 2016.

1. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

just remember unless it has hours on the speaker-its not all it could be!

teleman78 likes this.
  2. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

no worries, just ordered the head and my speakers are all well worn. Can't wait!

3. ssmtb

ssmtb Tele-Meister

Please forgive the thread necro... I've a question for BB007 owners: do you ever miss having reverb?

I'm thinking about selling off my main amp to pick up an 007 combo which I've been really impressed with every time I play it at the store. That crunch sound is just awesome.

I like reverb though, and I'm worried that buying a reverb pedal to put in front of an overdriven amp will sound terrible... I've a delay pedal too, but same worry.

What say ye?

4. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

I missed it on mine, which for me made it hard to enjoy the overdriven sound of the amp as it was boxy and dry. If you running the amp clean with dirt boxes etc its great! Go for the BB15 if you want the reverb

5. SL311

SL311 TDPRI Member

I use a Boss fender 63 reverb pedal with mine and i like the sound, but i am by no means a tone aficionado

wblynch likes this.
  6. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Totally agree with your sentiments. I bought a Vox AC10C1, which came out a few months before the Bassbreaker line. Even though that purchase made the Bassbreaker a mostly unnecessary purchase, I was fairly tempted to buy a 007 combo after playing it. I especially loved its ability to do crunch tones at bedroom levels (something the AC10C1 doesn't quite do - it starts out fairly loud).

But the lack of even a passable on-board reverb OR an effects loop was a dealbreaker. This is an amp designed to breakup fairly early, so putting a reverb in front of that just isn't going to yield quality results (to most ears). The comeback to that argument is that most amps in this price range and size don't have an FX loop (true), and some people don't even use reverb for this type of sound. But unless an amp can be set up to offer a pristine clean tone that you can layer pedals on top of, I think it should offer at least some type of reverb, pretty much at any price point.

If you can overlook that problem (or just don't use 'verb), I thought it was an amazingly cool sounding little amp. The larger models have these missing features and probably sound great, though they get into price points that would put them up against a lot of other great amps, also.

7. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

Mine arrived Saturday.
    [​IMG]

Here it is with a friend. So far, I'm enjoying it, and no, I don't miss reverb. Right now, I plan on getting the 1X12 BB extension cab, but this little amp *loves* humbuckers (and single coils).

[​IMG]

8. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Got an 007 combo about 2 weeks ago. I like it but not sure I love it. Just learning how to play but have great ears for tone as I am a piano tuner.

I guess there's no reason not to keep it a couple of years and see if it grows on me. In the meantime I'll save for a Princeton Reverb reissue. I see a lot of good used ones in the $650-$700 range.

I do wonder if I should take the 007 back and just get a BB 15 ? I like reverb and the 15 has it on board.

Does anyone think a Boss '65 Fender Reverb FDR-1 pedal is any good with the 007?

9. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    I bought the Bassbreaker 07 combo the first week it came out and i have been really pleased with it. Just for those potentially interested in trying one here's a few of my observations (but it's worth noting that some of my experiences are in direct contradiction to what other people have found with theirs so as always there is no better audition than getting your hands on one with as similar guitar(s) as possible to the one you are going to play through it).

I am surprised that some people have said they found it quite a quiet amp to play through, i thought the opposite and have been impressed with the output. Having said that stock factory tubes are notoriously on the cheap side (unless getting a high end amp) so maybe they'll experience a volume hike when changing tubes. I found the BB07 quite a bit louder than my Vox AC4C1 - which has exactly the same valve/tube compliment: 2x 12AX7 & 1x EL84, having said that i have just got a new set of tubes for the Vox so i'll report back when i have fitted them. as that may redress the balance.

I haven't missed reverb at all and i personally don't find the amp boxy sounding at all. It's funny but when i am playing through a solid state amp (i used to have a Roland Cube 20) i absolutely have to have reverb or the amp sounds very boxy to me, but if i am playing through a valve/tube amp i just don't seem to miss reverb at all.

Having said that i do understand the attraction of reverb to many players so i do always wonder why amp manufacturers don't fit it to certain amps - or an F/X loop so that the owner can use a pedal. I would have thought it isn't too much extra work to at least put an F/X loop in so that players have the option of using their own pedal for reverb and delay. I can perhaps understand the manufacturer not fitting actual reverb on the amp - many manufacturers don't fit it to amps in this size/class - but not even fitting an F/X loop either seems like an oversight and from what many people have said i am not the only one with that opinion.

If it's a real issue for someone but they generally like the rest of the amp as is then obviously the separate Head and Cab option would be the way to go because that's at least a 12" speaker.

I haven't used the treble booster much yet although i think it's a clever option to include. I'm still experimenting with the basic sounds from the amp unprocessed so far. I'd be interested to hear if other people have got much use from it and how they have been employing it.

I am thinking about a speaker upgrade at some point in the future but IMO i certainly don't think the amp is desperate for it, the stock speaker is certainly up to the job, but i am just curious as to how much of an upgrade a Celestion 10" Greenback or Celestion 10" Vintage would be. The Greenback seems to be a particular favourite when people upgrade Celestion speakers but i'd be curious to know what the differences are between that and the 10" Vintage. Does anyone have experience of both?

Build quality and general components seem very good indeed. This is definitely an amp that is built to last and you can be throwing it in and out of the trunk of your car for years to come without any worry of damage. My Vox AC4 is just as well built but you can definitely tell that the Fender is built from heavier duty components. When you pick the two up side by side you instantly know the fender is a few pounds heavier which is due to heavier duty cabinet, larger more robust transformers and the speaker is notably more high grade as well. The only component that i would look at and say it could have been better quality is the switch for the treble booster, it's a small plastic push in type and i would have personally preferred a mini toggle switch. Having said that you can use a footswitch to engage the treble booster although you have to be one separately. i am going to get one just so i don't have to worry about wear on the push button.

Overall i would give the amp a score of 9 out of 10. the only reason i don't give it the full ten out of ten is because of the flimsy treble booster switch and the lack of F/X loop. In all other respects it's a first class piece of gear. It may take a while for them to take off and really fly but i personally reckon that the Bassbreaker 07 is one of, if not, the top options for a small single ended practice amp. It's perfect for home practice, recording, and jam sessions. I just can't figure why it took Fender so long to get something out in this range.

The best plus point for me, and the overall thing that makes small single ended heads/Combos the most engaging amps you can buy generally is that they are one of the few types of valve/tube amps that you can buy and really know what it's like to have them singing in their real sweet spot on a regular basis. As we all know valve/tube amps really come to life when the volume controls are at least half way up and further, but even a 15 watt tube amp is too loud to do that all the time unless you live in a secluded spot without close neighbours.

Deathray, teleman78 and wblynch like this.
  10. wblynch

I'm very happy with the standard 10" speaker. It has great bass response compared to the Mustang 1 I had before or the VOX VT-20x I still have (8" in that one)

teleman78 likes this.
  11. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Just finished rehearsal using my 007. I own several amps twin ,Deville,blues jr,Roland, peavy classic, as well as some custom stuff. I played through a 1x12 Genz Benz cab maybe an EV speaker I've had for awhile. I wouldn't say this is a quiet amp. I dimed the master an used gain for volume. Tuner an Maxon 808. This is a great little amp. It held its own plenty of headroom even using my les Paul. Gonna use at next gig (mic'd) an really looking forward to it. The amp may be a little darker than most fenders but I got a thick sound from it and am pleased. Good job fender !!

wblynch likes this.
  12. markuskw

markuskw TDPRI Member

Been a long time since I have posted, but wanted to add that I am a member of this club again. I say again as I was not happy with the amp the first time around. Sounded quite harsh, not sure if the word muddy is the correct word. But I do remember the bass and mids were at extremes. The second time around I am happy. Have dialed in a great tone with the SG, and getting close with the single coils.

I have also tried the timmy and ocd pedals and like the results. Both separate and the timmy into the ocd. My question and or rambling is more what other pedals have people tried and liked and not liked??

teleman78 likes this.
  13. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Have had my 007 combo for about a year and have liked it for the most part except I always felt it lacked some head room and distorted a bit too early for my taste, still enjoyed playing it.

Well today I received some upgrades that have turned this little amp from a good amp into an amazing amp. I installed a Warehouse Guitar Speaker G10C (75W) and also installed a Sovtek EL84 power tube and 2 x 12AX7 Tung Sol preamp tubes after testing out the new speaker with the stock Groove Tubes.

Ridicoulusly great results! Night and day difference. Basically the amp moves a lot more air now, stays cleaner longer and goes into overdrive just at the right time. Has TONS of more headroom and the cleans sound really sparkly and chimmey, the overdrive is to die for. I'm really stoked with this combination on this amp. It has really awaken the beast bigtime.

I bought this amp to play at home and to grab and go for a blues jam. I wanted something light, with enough power for small jams. It was great for home but for the jams was a bit "farty" not enough head room. I haven't gone jamming with the new configuration yet but will test it out and see, I'm confident it will be a vast improvement, I can already hear it.

Just wanted to share my experience with the upgrades in case someone was interested, again, huge improvement to already a great little amp.

Thanks,

CHYDRO and wblynch like this.
  14. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Right now on this amp I have:

- EHX Soulfood OD
    - JHS Unicorn V2 Univibe
    - Catalinbread Topanga Spring Reverb Pedal

All 3 work really well on this amp.

15. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Reverb sounds good on this amp, I have the Catalinbread Topanga and I really love how it sounds except on full overdrive I turn the reverb off for obvious reasons. Hope this helps

wblynch likes this.
  16. wblynch

I'm using the Boss FRV-1 '63 Reverb with my 007. I like it a lot. I looked at the Caitlinbread Topanga but the FRV-1's were discontinued and I found a great deal on a leftover at half price and grabbed it. The Caitlinebread is probably more useful all around.

I don't use reverb often but it's fun to have it. Very 'drippy' if that what you like :)

17. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

Just bought this amp. Tomorrow a delay pedal.
    So far, very much enjoying it, sounds great in my apartment.
    Curious as to other owners who have had a while with them, if they still like them and the quality of build is good?

Deathray likes this.
  18. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am now a member of the 007 club! I’m the happy owner of a FSR Bassbreaker 007, with tweed covering, and a luscious sounding celestion 10” Greenback speaker.
    This little amp blows me away! The tone is killer, and the overdrive is so organic, melodic...and addictive!
    AC909D0F-6924-4BE4-B9F2-A55701126D49.jpeg

CE49F470-B40D-42BF-804F-81465CD18114.jpeg

Stratguy70 likes this.
  19. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

Congrats, that's beautiful!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.