Fender Bass Breaker 30R v Laney L20T-112

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by nobis17, Apr 8, 2020.

1. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

Does anyone have experience with either of these? After this sequestering is over and we are allowed outside again I'm purchasing a new amp. I've narrowed it down to these two I think, I'm open to other ideas as well. But here is what I have to have in a combo:

1-12" speaker
    2 channel (footswitchable - 1 clean, 1 dirty)
    All tube (I prefer the sound of the EL84s, that classic rock sound is the bee's knees)
    dedicated effects loop

I don't have any real loyalty to a specific label, but I do really like the Vox sound, I just don't like the options that brand offers for the size of combo I want. Both celestion speakers in the two above mentioned amps are sonically similar from what I can tell.
    I'm looking for versatility in tone. Unfortunately, since I'm stuck indoors, I'm resigned to watching Youtube reviews of amps. But from the YouTube reviews I've watched, neither the Mesa Boogie nor Marshall seem to fit the tone I'm looking for.

Any thoughts?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Crawldaddy likes this.
  3. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

Thanks for your honest feedback on it in your other thread! I do know that I'm not going to find the Vox tone in anything but a Vox, but the classic rock tone is a definite requirement. The comment on the more drive channel is great to know, I'm not necessarily looking for something that will rip your face off. Let's see if anyone else has any opinions :)

4. blowtorch

It's grown on me some since I wrote those comments, but yeah, a NAD that doesn't knock your socks off is maybe sort of telling.

Also, I never did have the chance to play it with a full band, yet. Maybe it'll shine, then

5. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

2 ch footswitchable is going to be your problem. I cant think of any lowish watt 1x12 combos with a good classic rock or vox sound with this feature.

6. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

hmm, both of the amps (above) that I'm looking at are 2 ch footswitchable. Would you not describe either of their tones as "classic"?

7. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

Would a recording of those amps in a cover of say Zep, Aero, Bad Co or similar make you think you might be listening to a 50 year old lost recording? I doubt it. That could be also from many other factors but that's a different topic. It really depends on what you think is classic. I dont think the amps you mention sound totally "unclassic" but neither one is going to make me sell my vintage amps.

BTW I often use a monoprice 15w for rock and blues which is part of the current laney family so I'm not stuck on vintage amps or find newer sounding amps bad.

nobis17 likes this.
  8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Laney is a single ended amp ( the four valves are in parallel ). This will give a different sound to a push/pull amp. The L5t-112 covers every base up to real high gain metal very well indeed. The L20 just has a few more valves in the output stage. I hanker for a Lionheart.
    Voxy they aren't. Classic rock they are. A Joyo ACTone into it would sway that. Great amps, but shared EQ and a Class A output stage may end up frustrating you. One to try before buying.

The Laney IRT30 combo is a push/pull, though not EL84 based. It can do just about anything you ask of it, plus it has the major advantage of independent EQ sections. Don't be put off by the Ironheart moniker, this is one capable amp. Sure, it can do face-melt, but it can do so much more besides. If you have a cab, there's the IRT15 Studio, which is worth looking into too.

Sorry, no experience of the BassBreaker 30.

9. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

Not at all! I completely recognize that I'm not going to be able to emulate those amazing sounds (I believe first and foremost the problem there in lays with the guitarist... :p) I guess I was asking if it had a classic feel. Maybe I am asking too much with the footswitch, but I like being able to control changes in my sound via my foot. I use several different pedals, but honestly I'm pretty new to the whole "searching for my sound" quest. I have played bass for almost 30 years, and just started taking guitar seriously in the last 6 months. As far as bass is concerned, I've pretty much always just played clean, straight through the amp -- the times that I haven't done that, was when I was touring, and we were playing to click tracks on headphones (I didn't have any freedom on what I wanted my sound to be - the bass went into a magic box and straight to the house).

Sorry to droll on, who knows I might be looking too hard for that magic faerie dust of an amp.

10. Dunedin2019

Dunedin2019 TDPRI Member

How much do you want (?) to spend... ?

Friedman Runt 20 combo meets all your requirements...

11. RandomPrecision

RandomPrecision TDPRI Member

You might consider a Matchless C-30 series (HC-30 head, SC-30 1x12, DC-30 2x12). It is a Vox-derived design. Two independent channels, though they are not foot-switchable. But that is easily remedied with an A/B/Y pedal (which actually gives you sort of a third channel, i.e. combining the two). I have the Ceriatone clone of this, the Dizzy-30. My understanding is that the 12ax7 channel is the more traditional Vox-ish sound, but I find the ef86 channel to be wonderful. To me, even at bedroom volumes, it has this peculiar complexity to the tone that I've never heard in another amp.

I don't think it would be considered Vox-like, but the Peavey Classic 30 has two foot-switchable channels. I think it's a pretty good workhorse amp, and popular enough that you should be able to get a used one fairly cheaply, and if you don't like it, re-sell it for roughly what you paid.

12. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

So I went ahead with the Laney, because I found a shop on eBay (based in San Antonio, TX) that is having trouble because of current events, and the price was too good to pass up. If I don't like it, I don't believe I will really lose much if anything on a trade in. If anyone is looking for stuff and can afford to spend money right now, you might consider checking this guy out.

https://www.ebay.com/i/193418040590...9a4ba591710ad4ea896f37bfff605da&ul_noapp=true

13. blowtorch

Cool, do let us know what you think

14. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

I will for sure.

15. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

So I was just released from my sequestration for work last Friday. I was FINALLY able to try out this amp, and I have to say, I am not disappointed in the least. It sounds amazing, it can do everything from super clean chiming to super gritty and dirty. The drive channel sounds warm and overdriven just like a tube amp should. it complements a Tele amazingly. I can't praise it enough. It is REALLY loud. 20W is a lot of volume. I can still turn it down to a "non-angry wife" level, but I can't wait to get together with my buddies and let it breath.

teleamp.jpg

stevemc likes this.
  16. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

The Mesa Boogie Recto-verb 25 is a strong contender that ticks all your boxes. The main issue here is cost and whether or not you enjoy that amp through a 1 X 12" speaker. In my personal experience, a C90 black shadow does a good job, but I own the Recto-verb 25 head and only a 2X12 rectifier cab is the only thing so far that has hit the spot at the bare minimum.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.