1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Baja 50s vs. 60s?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fuman, Apr 3, 2019.

1. fuman

fuman TDPRI Member

Good day. I am jonesing for a Tele again. Had one, sold it. Bought my first Strat, it's not doing it for me. My FAVORITE production Tele was the Baja. I loved the tones you could get -- and I really loved the Twisted Tele neck pickup. But I am more of a rosewood board fan.

They have been selling the Baja 60s for several years. Rosewood board, and they even have one of my favorite colors, Sonic Blue. I can't find one around here. The one concern I have is that they put different pickups in it. Can anyone give impressions of the difference in tone between the two guitars, especially the neck pickup? Thanks.

2. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Get the 60's Baja. You can always swap out the pickups.

3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

This.

Modding teles is almost as old as the solid body 6 string Spanish style guitar itsself.....

The neck is thicker on the 50s than 60s.

Wiring is the same I think.

4. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

I've got a sonic blue 60s and like it a lot.

On the tele, and all my guitars general, I use neck pickup by itself the least.
    In a quick search I see a Twisted Tele pickup for $35 on Reverb.
    Get the 60s Baja and swap the pickup. You'd be able to sell the '52 pickups from the Baja pretty easy if you wanted

This thread...last week...about 50s vs 60s.
    Not many comments about pickups, mostly neck talk.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/why-are-the-60’s-bajas-not-as-celebrated-as-the-50’s-bajas.939909/

5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I don't think that it's a secret anymore that the 50's Baja is Fender's best deal ever. Considering that you get CS quality, and parts, at MIM prices is just rediculous. My 2006 is the last tele that I've had to purchase. It simply does it all, vintage and modern tones galore.

6. albatros

albatros TDPRI Member

I own a '60 custom (Chris Fleming) designed Baja and I am very happy with it.

'60 baja tele.jpg

The '50 model should have the 7.5" neck radius...too curved for me.

chris fleming custom shop.jpg

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Baja 60s has a '52 OV neck pickup and a '58 OV bridge pickup. Folks say it's a peachy-keen combination. Those, and the neck, are the real differences between a 60s and a 50s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.