1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender authentic necks: your favorites

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by JamesAM, Mar 3, 2021.

1. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Hi all, I’m on the Johnny cash “one piece at a time” plan for putting together my partscaster, and the last one I’m after is the neck. Currently I have a 2000 Mexican standard neck from my very first guitar on mine, and it’s OK- it’s played in and has a bit of nostalgic value.

However, I would like to explore what else is available. I’m only after official fender necks, and I wanted to see if there were any the crew here might think are “hidden gems” I might not be considering but should look at. I’m looking at the AO 50s neck but some of the MIM necks are intriguing- I prefer a more vintage look with a bigger profile, and the vintera and road worn look cool.

Also, not to open up a can of worms, but is there a tangible difference in quality between mim and mia necks?

see pic below of the guitar in question. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

7F31F9EE-413F-4CAC-83ED-3FA7429B4D3D.jpeg

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I had a tele (recently donated to another worship player) that I built with a Fender MIM 50's Baja neck. It was excellent.

But after buying a neck from Parklane Guitars (https://parklaneguitars.com), I'm now a sucker for roasted maple, vintage (stainless) frets, 7.25" radius and all that flamey maple goodness.

No affiliation. Just a very happily flabbergasted customer.

JamesAM likes this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

Depends on the exact neck, and what your preferences are. the primary differences between MIA and MIM are the way the fret ends are dressed and the truss rod plug. Otherwise they are essentially made from the same materials.

Do you like a thin neck or a thick one? Small frets or big frets? C Neck, D Neck, V Neck? Flat or Round radius? Tinted finish? Satin or Glossy? Nitro or Poly? Headstock logo preference?

There are a million variables, and any of them can change what you think of the neck. I sold all my MIA necks.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

The MIM Strat rosewood from your 2000 time frame is very nice.
    In maple the Strat Clapton neck is superb. Wish they made it in rosewood board.
    For some reason most MIM I prefer over MIA. There must be a subtle difference.
    The necks off the Deluxe model guitars have a 12" radius which is kinda nice.

JamesAM likes this.
  5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

The best fender neck I own and one of the best I've ever played is an MIM classic series 50s Strat neck. Mine is from around 2002 or 2003.

Anything crafted in Japan is going to be top notch as well.

JamesAM likes this.
  6. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Fat 50's is my fave, or anything close to it. It's very personal, and I suspect it depends on the size of one's hands. I have large hands, which feel cramped on skinny necks. All three of my guitars have hefty necks, while not all are the same profile, they fill my palm,

JamesAM likes this.
  7. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

MIM Classic 50s
    MIM Cabronita
    MIM '72 RI Thinline (3 bolt)

8. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

great points, appreciate it. Specs here, in order of “I need it” to “I don’t really care:”

- Maple fingerboard
    - Thicker deep c, D, or U neck
    - at least 9.5” radius
    - no biflex truss rod
    - satin, but gloss on fretboard is fine
    - Bone nut
    - tinted
    - rolled edges
    - vintage tuners
    - 50s logo, or nocaster logo
    - must have frets
    - must be finished

as a benchmark, I really loved the deep c neck on the American pro, but I liked the U shape on the AO more. If anyone has a current es-335, the deep 50s c of that axe is my perfect neck. The MIM I have on now is a bit shallow.

The AO 50s is my current #1. I thought I could get by with an American ultra, but the bolts are in the wrong place (heel contour). The 50s FSR offset is looking intriguing- it seems to have everything im after at an ok price, but I just don’t know anyone who has one who can comment.

nickmsmith likes this.
  9. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

cheers, thanks- I’ve been searching for a MIJ neck passively for years, but haven’t been able to find a TL-52 one available. I know 80s squiers are the gold standard, but I’ve never held one and am apprehensive about picking up a neck I’ve never played.

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

With rolled edges, MIA or aftermarket is really the only option, but you can finish the edges yourself on an MIM. Vinteras/classic series 50s fit a lot of these, but I think at least the traditional vinteras are 7.25 radius.

JamesAM likes this.
  11. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Are the vinteras and classic series satin on the back? I really like them but haven’t put hands on one to see if I’d be into it.

12. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

But really, those MIM Standard necks can be really good. I like them, still have two of them.

JamesAM likes this.
  13. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

that's an easy fix. scotchbrite pad or very fine sandpaper can make anything satin without damaging the finish. And it can be polished back up to gloss at any time, as long as a person doesn't sand hard with coarse sandpaper enough to eat entirely through the finish.

JamesAM likes this.
  14. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm very tempted to pick up one of those new MIM 51 Nocaster necks I've seen on the market. Looks like the Nocaster neck except finished in poly. They're fairly affordable too.

I'm building a partscaster right now and I went all out on the neck. I picked up a neck that was from one of the Fender Rarities series - the blue flame maple top tele. The neck is gorgeous. Its shaped exactly like the AO60s with the 9.5 radius and vintage tall frets. The action at the nut is high out of the box but once I get the nut adjusted it's going to make for a killer guitar.

15. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

1 11/16" nut
    12° radius
    med to med jumbos

16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

MiM and MiA can be great or not. Lately I think Fender has been making good necks in Mexico. Which is great since the MiM replacement necks are easy to find.

17. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I put a MIM '51 Fat U neck on my Esquire.

It's a nice handful (my biggest neck as I'd previously tended to stick with slimmer ones). With a 9.5" radius, vintage tall frets and finished in poly: I stripped mine down and re-finished it in tinted nitro, but that was just a little lock down project.

I'm putting a Strat together and I couldn't find a Fender neck that was as fat as my MIM one, with a Rosewood fingerboard, so I had to go to Allparts for that: This neck had very sharp fret ends, no nut installed, hard fingerboard edges and unfinished. No problem as all stuff I could deal with, but it does show the differences with a Fender neck verses Allparts, though it was half the price of my MIM neck too. The MIM neck didn't even need a fret level, only the nut slots cutting properly (came with 'guide' marks).

18. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Well, in case anyone is interested, I ended up with a neck I completely forgot about: the Britt Daniel signature. Fantastic neck! The deep c from the American pro I like plus the cool classicgear tuners and bone nut make this a winner. The tint and nocaster logo sealed the deal. If anyone is after a vintage looking neck with modern feel and accoutrements, this one is it.

surprisingly, it sounds louder mated to the body than the mim one did? It seems to sound more nuanced through the amp as well. I wouldn’t have thought sound would be affected by a new neck!

So now my finished partscaster consists of:

- Britt Daniel neck
    - American special body
    - 51 nocaster pickups
    - fender vintage style bridge with compensated brass saddles
    - fender Bakelite pickguard
    - tribute guitarworks control plate with pio cap

Happy camper here with my dream guitar. Cheers to all for your time and attention.

BB5B5989-514D-4F17-8474-9A979FE3FCB5.jpeg

BramptonRob1958 and Fendereedo like this.
  19. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Nice work, looks great! :cool:

JamesAM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.