Fender: Are they on a bad trip???

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by braveheart, Dec 21, 2019.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

The Fender Tenor series...WHY OH WHY??? Who buys this insane gimmick?

I don't know...clueless...

57fenderstrat likes this.
  2. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I don’t know...just give us some 7.25 guitars !!

Alter, Blue Bill, mimmo and 1 other person like this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

People who play tenor?

Tim S, brbadg, RomanS and 3 others like this.
  4. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

They are probably a lot easier to find than a tenor made in the 30's or whenever they were popular. I can see it being a good gateway guitar from people who started on uke.

RomanS, fenderchamp, Rowdyman and 2 others like this.
  5. chillybilly

chillybilly TDPRI Member

I'm actually inclined to give them some credit - but not without some criticism.

-The ToneMaster reception is probably exceeding their most optimistic estimates. Cork sniffers are (mostly) gushing about the sound. Gigging musos are enthused about the XLR lineout/no mic needed/cab emulation, and the power scaling. Less high-minded individuals are simply pleased with the light weight.
    -They seem to have stabilized the 'pro tube' lineup with the tweeds, blackfaces and silverfaces.
    -The guitar lineup has a good bit of variety that features ACTUAL variety in construction eg Vintera.

Criticisms:
    -Nigh-on impossible to tell the models apart from the names alone. Gibson already tried this stunt with a bucketful of adjectives: classic, premium, ultra, pro, traditional, etc. etc. Why can't an American Standard still be...an American Standard even if the specs change? If you held a gun on me and told me to explain the differences between Am Ultra, Pro, Original and Performer I couldn't do it and I pay fairly close attention.
    -The pursuit of the 'Christmas guitar' customer on a year-round basis will apparently never end. We get it - they're trying to appeal to parents on a budget and kids who want an iconic (looking) guitar or amp and, hopefully, upgrade over time. But it still makes it difficult to sift through online and/or catalog offerings.

But, as with Gibson, this is a company forced to mine the same ore over and over again in the form of patents and designs that are close to 70 years old in some cases so they've got a tough task every year coming up with 'new' things and attempting to explain why they're 'improved.'

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  6. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It's for guitar players that can't justify buying another guitar, but could justify something a bit different that a guitar player could pick up.

If I had some extra guitar money atm I would fall into that category, and I might be tempted.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Hmmm.....transitional gear for those who started on ukulele???? Tenor guitars have been around for a long, long time...so why not?
    Here is a cut from one of the most famous tenor players.....

8. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They’re making tenors now? Strikes me as one of the few things they’re getting right. Nice to see some variety, as opposed to the tiny incremental tweaking, and deck-shuffling of existing features that’s usually passed off as New and Improved. (For the record, I also like some of the Alternate Universe stuff more than the regular models.)

RomanS, NewKid, rangercaster and 3 others like this.
  9. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I like it when fender steps out of their comfort zone.

10. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Fender's gone off the rails!!!!! They are making a LIMITED RUN OF TENOR TELES - Oh The Humanity!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

All kidding aside these are part of the "Alternate Reality" series - there has always been a tiny market for tenor guitars, so I suppose Fender feels they can devote say 1,500 to 3,000 units of production to this model - I'm assuming these are probably 500 per color, I doubt they would do more than 1,000 per color, and they may have only done 250 per color or something like that.

RomanS and MilwMark like this.
  11. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

From what I see these (the telecaster in question) have been hugely popular. Local store here has a large backorder list as they can't get them fast enough.

RomanS and NewKid like this.
  12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Waiting for my Tele bajo sexto!

13. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Tiny killed it on the tenor guitar

stantheman likes this.
  14. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Seriously look at the classic vibe specs and the only difference I could find was fretboard material and a larger headstock on the ‘70s. I wish Fender and Gibson would try harder to buck tradition and grab hold of some of the newer technology. Is the strat trem really so spectacular that they couldn’t improve upon it? Every other company has. Gibson fix your gd headstock issues! Like most other companies.

I’m pretty much sold on Schecter. PT(tele), “strat” and Tempest Special haven’t led me wrong once.

I’d pick up this tenor tele if I found it super cheap somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  15. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Huh? What do you have against tenor guitars? As a mandolin player too im slightly interested.

Fender has been in a golden age for the past 10 years or so. Every bit on the level of pre cbs days. Im really proud of the company and the way its being run. I believe that people at the top really care about the fender brand and have been living up to its name consistently. Theyve found a way to do that while still providing a little something for everyone

I think their naming conventions have gotten way over complicated but thats a minor marketing gripe and it seems like a common issue with many makers

vid1900, blueruins, RomanS and 5 others like this.
  16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Well, it may be niche but I think it's great and heart-warming they revive this "swing era" tradition. Like they really care about the deep roots of American music.

IIRC tenor guitars were the gateway drug to guitar for TENOR BANJO players (much more widespread, initially, as the rhythm string instrument in the jazz orchestra).

RomanS, NewKid and MilwMark like this.
  17. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

Worked for me! Dad started me on Uke at about age 6 and around 10 I got a tenor from Santa.
    (a Kent, I think)

Now I play Squiers and partscasters through tube amps..... regards, RM

18. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

Eastwood has been successfully making electric tenor guitars for years. Nice instruments. I have a 1952 Martin acoustic tenor and get it out every now and then, just for fun. Easy to play.

RomanS likes this.
  19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I love how the fanboys **** on Fender and Gibson every time they try something new.

Carcinogen, stnmtthw and MilwMark like this.
  20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

boris bubbanov and MilwMark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.