Fender Amps... Need advice / thoughts...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by greysun, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Attached Files:

2. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

I have a 65 deluxe right. I love it.its loud and even at 3 my nieghbors got pissed.i bought the tone king mini attenuator and now I get to really enjoy the tube tone. For gain I use a fulltone ocd and a tumnus deluxe.those two overdrive with a little delay from my boss dd7 and it sounds like a marshall.

3. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

I hear the new solid state fender deluxe and twin are pretty awesome and you can attenuate but I have no regrets having to 65 with the tone king ironman to play in my apartment. It was like 799 for the amp used and 300 for the attenuator.

4. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

I kept trying overdrive that I felt didnt sound right with the deluxe. The 808 wasn't good for me niether was a Friedman or a ton of other pedals.These pedals play so nice with the fender

Attached Files:

5. greysun

greysun TDPRI Member

All great info and input. I’ll take a look.

If the new solid state versions can match the tube tone, that’s a viable option... though I’m yet to find a solid state version of a tube amp that I like as more or more (bass amps aside - not sure why).

I’ve got a weird stereo guitar setup, so this will be fun to mix it up and get a good blend of amps and effects. Looking forward to it for sure. :).

Thanks again, guys!

6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you compare the 2 amps side by side (tube vs SS) in say the Twin variants, you will prefer the vintage one (I know that I do). The vintage is brighter and more open sounding to my ears, but unless you have both sitting in front of you one would never be disappointed in the modern SS amp tone. At least I say that with the Tonemaster Twin that I played.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The amp you're describing is the Princeton Reverb. Given you're au fait with handwired tube amps I'd buy as much Silverface Princeton Reverb as you can afford. Smaller and quieter than a Deluxe Reverb, bigger and more 'real amp' than the Champ.

The BF didn't change much in the SF era - leave the pullboost unpulled, fit a GZ34 and bias accordingly you have a BF amp. Something like an Eminence SC64 GA10 will make it sound as sweet as any. The reverb and trem are what other amps copy.

Servicing is simple - the whole tagboard is the size of a big smartphone but simple eyelet construction. All the pots, switches and tube sockets are virtually mil-spec. Built like a (small) tank. It will never go down in value unless you drown it or take an axe to it. Moddable, tweakable, all it's parts are available new or as repros.

The PR is really a brown Princeton with reverb that's the son of a Tweed Tremolux; complete with cathodyne phase inverter which provides aliveness and feel. It has a lineage back to Tweed era amps

The best small amp reverb, and tremolo that pumps bias in the power tubes up and down for a lovely shimmer. The larger Fender amps use an opto device that varies signal strength that's not quite as nice.

For recording it's probably the single most important amp in history - it's been used in country, jazz, blues, rock (Layla). It's small enough to apartmentise and big enough for small gigs with an efficient speaker.

It has a sweet natural breakup and is responsive to picking dynamics and riding the volume control.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  8. mrsongbird

mrsongbird Tele-Meister

I have a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb reissue that I use for gigging that is great. Love the tones I get out of it. At home, it’s pretty loud though. I do a YouTube thing every week where I do a different song, just to keep myself practicing and learning new tunes, and the last few weeks I’ve used it while looking at Princetons online and playing a couple (I’ve got one on the way). Previously when doing the YouTube thing, when I’m not acoustic, I’ve been using a Bassbreaker 007, which I like quite a bit, but I don’t dig the tone as much as the Deluxe.

Anyways, to give you a sense of the volume, here’s my video from today playing a Stones song through the Deluxe Reverb vintage channel (probably on 3) with a Red Llama at or a little below unity to give it a little hair- at 3 the amp is clean. I’m using nothing special- just a Shure mic on my phone to capture the room. Playing is sloppy.

Sorry for the long post- it’s a great amp, but it’s going to be a lot of unused volume for an apartment in Chicago! I’m excited to hear that 68 Princeton- maybe check those out?

9. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

The first time I was looking in your sonic territory, I thought I wanted a Fender, but I ended up with a Victoria Victoriette (AKA at the time as the Soul Cactus Amp). At the time, I seem to remember being told it was 12 W. However, it is 2 EL84 output section. The new ones either have 2 EL84 or 2 6L6 tubes and they claim 20 W. Probably too close to your DR 22W volume.

The other amp that I have that covers that area (more or less) is the Mesa California Tweed. It has a four 6V6 output section. However, through their cleverness, it has outputs as low as 2W (and other stops at 10, 20, 30 and 40W).

So, if it doesn’t HAVE to be a Fender, one of these two might suit your needs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.