Fender amp speaker wiring & upgrades?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Slt8576, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Slt8576

Slt8576 TDPRI Member

I have a Fender Princeton 65 solid state. I'm mostly an effects guy (including dirt), so it's been a great cheap pedal platform for me. I do play clean a decent amount and, in those cases, have found the amp a little too crisp and bright even with the treble dialed back to 2-3.

I've read online that this amp benefits greatly from a speaker upgrade. I had a couple of questions related to that:

- Do I need to de-solder the wires from the speaker to replace, or do Fender amps of this vintage typically use the solderless clip connections? It's a little hard for me to tell from just looking at it.

- I haven't done this before and have seen some references to stored electrical charges. If I try to do this myself, what are the chances I will die?

- Any suggestions for a good 12", 8-ohm replacement around $100 or so? For cleans, I'd mainly be looking in the R.E.M./Byrds/Beatles realm. I play Teles, Ricks, and Danelectros.

Thanks!

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Post a picture of the speaker and we can tell you for sure. A quick google looks like they are the push on connectors, so they should pull off.

Zero chance of dying changing the speaker if you don't have to pull the chassis.

Millions of opinions on speakers, so I'm not the guy for that one :D

Slt8576 likes this.
  3. Slt8576

Slt8576 TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply! I've attached a photo of the wires + one of the backside. Based on this video of a speaker change in a 112, I'm a little worried that I would have to remove the chassis to get the speaker in there.

IMG_4504.JPG
    IMG_4503.JPG

4. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

An Eminence 1258 does clean nicely. These are great basic 12s that are good value as well.

Slt8576 likes this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Slt8576, IF those connections came off of the lugs as pictured, you might change them around....place the white lead on the lug to the left as we see it....just as an exercise. The White should be the + lead and the black is -. The lugs on the .eminence speaker in that amp are + to our left and - to out right. You mayor may not discern a difference, but when wired ‘backwards’, the cone’s first movement will be backwards instead of forwards.

Slt8576 likes this.
  6. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

The perfect storm for excess treble! There are many speakers out there that will bring this amp into your comfort zone, at all price ranges. I have no suggestions myself.

As far as pulling the chassis - you might have to but it shouldn't be a big deal. Just be careful and note how it comes apart so you can reverse the process.

As an aside, most solid-state amps run on much lower voltages than tube amps and getting shocked isn't so much an issue. I'm sure you won't go pawing the components in the chassis to see what they feel like.

Slt8576 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.