Fender amp reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Lade1, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Lade1

Lade1 TDPRI Member

Hi! New to the forum, be gentle!

I am buying a Fender Custom '68 Princeton. I have a reverb pedal that I like better than the amp reverb (feel free NOT to comment, that is another thread) and have some questions.

1- If I accidentally engage the reverb via the control pedal with the reverb set to 0, will the signal flow be different than when the reverb is disengaged?

2- If so, I might want to disengage the reverb permanently; do I take out the reverb in and out jacks in the back, and if so, do I leave it like that, or will I need a jumper/patch cable between the input and output?

Thanks in advance!

2. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Take out V2. The 12AT7. Second tube from input end. Do this also if you unplug the reverb tank

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I've never noticed a difference between switching it off or turning it all the way down. That said I usually have it on so I haven't spent much time listening to the difference.

LuthRavin likes this.
  4. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Just keep the knob all the way down. Your ear may change and you may want to experiment so why mess with the amp? The ear can be a fickle thing. Plus, it's an instant backup should your pedal fail.

5. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

I actually use both. I set the reverb knob on the amp around 2, and then use a Neunaber Immerse to taste. Works especially well when I use the shimmer setting on the Immerse for volume swells.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Welcome.

ps. you would not notice

BobbyZ likes this.
  7. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

yeah just leave it turned off but still available in case your pedal dies.

8. Lade1

Lade1 TDPRI Member

Hi! Thanks for the reply. In the process of refinishing the cabinet of my PR Custom'68, I have removed everything. Do I understand you correctly: If I remove V2, I will not have to put the reverb tank back in. Will this alter the sound of the amp in any way or have any detrimental effects?

9. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Correct. The amp will sound the same as it would with reverb switch off.

BobbyZ likes this.
  10. Lade1

Lade1 TDPRI Member

Thank you! This isn't just because I am too lazy to put the tank back in, it also let my try out the 12AT7 in V1 without having to actually buy a new tube.

11. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Okay, but an AT7 is not a really suitable to be for V1. It is a current handling tube. It will function and not hurt it but isn't great. A 7025 is supposed to be a little notch down from an AX7. Next is a 5751 which are unbeatable in original JAN. Then you get the big drops of AU7 and AY7. Too much.

12. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

I think Earhed meant if you remove reverb tank you will need to remove v2 tube as well. At lest that is my understanding of th 68 Custom PRRI circuit you can't just un plug the verb tank without removing v2.
    Late edit. Apparently If you patch verb send/receive you can experiment with tubes & use reverb knob as a gain control.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think it's bad, it's less extreme than a 12AU7. You'll also find lots of people on the internet who'll insist that a 12AU7 is bad because manufacturers also didn't use them in regular preamp stages.

Lade1 likes this.
  14. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

+1

I use the spring reverb on my 65 PRRI at about 4, and then the "Room" reverb on a Strymon BlueSky, or the "Shimmer" if I'm feeling playful. The onboard spring is a very different reverb to room or shimmer. Together they sound magic.

15. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

IMHO, nothing sounds better than a Fender spring reverb, but then that is the sound we grew up using and listening to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.