Fender amp questions - Noob

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by billsbigego, Oct 13, 2014.

1. billsbigego

billsbigego TDPRI Member

Hi all, I'm a noob when it comes to Fender amps. Brain is burned out from researching and I'm back to square one. I think I'm dumber now than when I started researching.

Here's what I'm looking to do.
    I have several baritone electric guitars, resonators with P90's, lollar single coils and highlander piezos.

I realize the piezo's wont sound great through a Fender tube amp, but my main thing is cleans.

I love the sound of the DDRI and the Fender DRRI. I realize the TRRI would be overkill as I'm not playing stadiums :D

So my questions are as follows.
    1. The TRRI would be a stupid choice, correct?
    2. Does it matter that the DRRI does not have a mid tone control?
    3. I've heard people say that the Hot Rod Deluxe would be better for pedals, is that correct? The only pedal I would basically be putting in front of the amp would be a tube screamer, blues driver, or some other pedal which would be good with a TRRI or DRRI.
    4. Is it an absolute no no to run an acoustic or a piezo equipped resonator through one of these amps?

What I really love hearing on these amps is the Vibrato, which sounds killer on videos I've seen with a Baritone Dano.

Thanks in advance.

2. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

The Deluxe does NOT suffer any loss of anything, because of not having a "mid" control. In fact, the Deluxe is consistently on many people's "desert island amp" list... what amp you would want if you could only have one (on a desert island). The Twin is a great amp, but it would a very very very rare occasion that you could ever really open one up.

Basically, with the Deluxe, you already have one of the best ever.

3. billsbigego

billsbigego TDPRI Member

what if I could get a 68 custom TRRI for $800 brand new. Would you buy it?

4. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations, it looks like you may have contracted GAS, and the resulting brain damage that goes along with it.

There are attenuators out there that can be combined with a TRRI or 'big' amp.

The DRRI is a great choice for many, and the price tag keeps some of us from getting one.

Sales on the Hot Rod Deluxe III are huge, and although it has a good bit of clean headroom, the actual clean sounds that are produced may or may not be your thing. Most pedals work well with this amp.

Regarding HRD III clean sounds:
    Owners of this amp will attest-these were not made to stay clean as the volume increases. As you crank the amp, you're looking at a volume decrease (guitar volume knob) to maintain clean sounds. Now, given the room that you may be playing in the most, and the resulting volume on the amp, those cleans may work for you. If you're looking for Fender clean sound at high volume, this amp is not designed for it.

That's a good question about pairing the HRD with an acoustic, or resonator...

5. billsbigego

billsbigego TDPRI Member

Hi, I was wondering about the TRRI or the DRRI with the acoustic or resonator.

Thanks for the info though.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

billsbegago...your baritone guitars will love the TR. The DR won't handle the baritone at any considerable volume, ime.
    I would suggest looking at vintage TR's....better deal...more reliable--after they are properly serviced, more reparable,..just better amps, ime and imho.
    IF you have to have that warranty, though...buy new. The new amp will fail before the vintage amp will....IF the vintage amp has been put into proper working order.

7. billsbigego

billsbigego TDPRI Member

8. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

I second getting the Twin for the baritone guitars. You'll need the power and 2 x 12" speakers for reproducing nice, clear lows. I never played through a reissue, but I have a Silverface Twin and I like it a lot. Even played my bass through it (at low volume) on occasion before I bought a bass amp.

9. billsbigego

billsbigego TDPRI Member

Wondering if it would be worth getting one of those PTP overhaul kits? I know it's costly, but I'm worried now about the thing breaking.

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Don't waste your money on the PTP kit. If you want PTP buy a silver or blackface Twin Reverb.
    I think you'll be fine with the TRRI anyway. Most amps are PCB these days and have been for years.

11. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

+1. If you want to keep spending money on it, Lil Texas speakers will make it a lot lighter. Congrats on the new gear!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.