1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Amp question for twang junkies

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SonicBlueByYou, Dec 4, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I cannot for the life of me understand why a player in pursuit of twang would choose a C Rex speaker.

They seem to be very popular lately, but the entire purpose of that speaker was to cut some high end to suit all the players complaining their Tele had ice pick tone.

I put one in an amp that has no tone control and is too bright, and it did help dull the tone a little.
    I don't like the whole dulling function though, and prefer to have sweet but bright tone rather than dulled highs.

Not familiar with the Bill M mods but I'd agree the BJr isn't a twang amp, and a PRRI might be twangier.
    Just not with a C Rex if twang is your goal.
    You can still make it twang but the C Rex most certainly dulls the tone.

This is not based on playing an amp with a C Rex though, it is based on running one amp through a C Rex and then through other speakers.

If you just play a basic twangy amp with a C Rex in it, and don't then run that amp through a speaker that doesn't dull the highs, you might not realize how much that hemp cone dulls tone.
    I mean it's a fine speaker for players who complain of too much treble.
    Wrong choice for players who complain of not enough twang though.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. telemnemonics

Oh sorry, missed that you got the amp.
    Try it through other speakers!
    Maybe try the BJr through other speakers too unless you really have no room for a second amp that you put time and money into.
    Sometimes twang isn't what's for dinner...

3. SonicBlueByYou

SonicBlueByYou TDPRI Member

I won’t argue with any of that. If (when?) I swap speakers it’s easy to substitute an Alessandro GA-12 SC64. Given my tendency to tweak most everything that is likely in the not too distant future.

But for the minute the new amp is a definite step up from the old blues junior. I’ll spend some time with it and decide based on that.

Is that the speaker you would go with? Apologies if you shared that already.

4. telemnemonics

I haven't tried the Allesandro speaker, another poster might have mentioned it.
    I don't think Allesandro makes speakers, must be an Eminence with their chosen formula?
    My method for choosing the "perfect" speaker for a given amp and target tone is to buy & try based on internet discussion plus looking at eq charts, which both Celestion and Eminence publish for all their speakers.
    Still buy the wrong speaker now and then but save them figuring they may be right for another amp.

5. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

This is the MOST accurate post on this topic in this thread If you need a 12, you need more power, then you look at a Delux reverb. 12 inch Princetons aren't bad, they just are not Princetons; the good was modded away.

6. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

With a compressor pedal I'm sure you could get all the twang you want from a Marshall stack.

No offence to the Blues Junior lovers here, but I'd pick a PRRI every time. Much better quality build, but, yes, more $$$$. You get what you pay for.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.